Spring Fling tips (Valentine's event)

SIgh...  There were three badges I didn't enjoy doing for this event.  The Handsome/Beautiful badge and the Valentine delivery badges (Matchmaker and Missed Connection.)

Valentine tips

I didn't like the delivery badges especially because I would have to join a team, play a mish or two and then continue playing until the arc was ended even though I had already picked up the three max Valentine tips.  The time commitment for this was enormous!

And then it happened.

One day, I casually beat up some Hellions in Atlas Park and got a Valentine tip!?  I had received no inf/exp because I had outleveled them.  But I got the tip!  From then on, I farmed tips by street sweeping low-level zones.  I tried to stay out of the way of low-level players street sweeping for the inf/exp and would move to another zone if there were a lot of players doing it.  But I found that street sweeping is a fast and efficient way to generate Valentine tips!  And there's no time commitment!  You just beat up enemies until you get three Valentine tips and you can stop any time without letting other players down!  Best of all, you don't have to defeat and entire group to get a tip!  I took on this group of Clockwork one time and the last one got away.  But I received the tip anyway and just let it go.

Note that if you talk to DJ Zero, he'll sometimes *recruit* you to deliver Valentines.  This adds a counter in your "Closest to Completion" category under Badges (in your Nav window.)  The counter is easier to find in the "Events" category.  Also note that if DJ Zero doesn't recruit you, this counter won't appear.  I haven't figured out the condition that causes DJ Zero to recruit you to deliver Valentines.  But it really doesn't matter because the counter has no effect on your ability to get the badge.

Handsome/Beautiful badge

Ugh!  Not only do you have to put a team together for this, you have to get someone of an opposing alignment!  So if you're blue and doing Ganymede's arc, you have to recruit a red or a Loyalist (goldside) for the last mish.  And if you're red doing Scratch's arc, you have to recruit a blue or a Resistance player.

Since this takes place in Pocket D, most players offering to join were level 1 and looking to level up.  They came for the farms but they'll take a ride with you while they wait for a farm to open up.  Sigh!!  So to make it attractive, I would up the difficulty (+2/x4) so they would get some decent exp.  Then I would have to keep them alive while we (slowly) battled our way through each mish.

And then it happened.

One evening, while attempting to recruit, a player casually pst'd me and told me that I could solo each arc if I switched alignment on the last mish.

Wait...  WHAT?!  I tested out this hypothesis, and HE WAS RIGHT!!!!  The caveat is that you *have* to launch the last mish in the arc *before* switching alignment!  Otherwise, you can't talk to the contact to launch the last mish!  Lol!  This also allows you to immediately dive into the second arc because you're already teh correct alignment for it!  And when you're on the last mish of the second arc, change back and now you have the badge and the same alignment you started with!  Mind.  Blown!

Here are some macros that might help

Ganymede arc:

/macro target target_name Operative Tupelo

Scratch arc:

/macro target target_name Terrigol
/macro target target_name Operative Finch

Widow Maker badge

You can speed-run this up until the last mish.  But the last mish is super easy.  Here are some macros that might help along the way:

/macro target target_name Librarian
/macro target target_name Night Widow Assassin

Heart of Light/Darkness, Partygoer and Toothbreaker badges

Honestly, it's WAY easier to earn the Toothbreaker badge during the Spring Fling than it is during the Winter Event.  In the Spring Fling event, you can catch Snaptooth immediately upon entering the mish if you fly up and over the cliff to the north.  At the top is a grassy airfield and Snaptooth spawns in the middle of it.  Watch out for the Arachnos enemies!  You have to defeat him three times to finish the mish.  And you have to do this mish five times to get the Toothbreaker badge.  It's better if you have a team for this one because those Red Caps can overwhelm you.

I think that's all that I have!  Have fun!

• Thanks 1

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

35 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Note that if you talk to DJ Zero, he'll sometimes *recruit* you to deliver Valentines.  This adds a counter in your "Closest to Completion" category under Badges (in your Nav window.)  The counter is easier to find in the "Events" category.  Also note that if DJ Zero doesn't recruit you, this counter won't appear.  I haven't figured out the condition that causes DJ Zero to recruit you to deliver Valentines.  But it really doesn't matter because the counter has no effect on your ability to get the badge.

DJ Zero recruits you at the end of the Ganymede/Scratch missions.  Either one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Valentine Tips drop at any point after you're level 20 I think, you don't have to talk to anyone to get them to drop, they drop from anything as long as the event is active.  The bigger issue with those tips is that they don't take your allignment into account and you might get tips for zones you can't access (for example, a pure villain can't deliver U'kon Gra'i's letter since both Positron and Blue Steel are in hero zones).  Can be an issue if you're stubborn and don't want to flip sides with Null every so often.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

1 hour ago, lemming said:

DJ Zero recruits you at the end of the Ganymede/Scratch missions.  Either one.

That worked for me, *sometimes.*  I'm not sure about this but I think if you get a Valentine tip prior to talking to him, then he doesn't recruit you.  Which is virtually impossible to avoid after doing both the Ganymede/Scratch arcs.  Just about every toon I badged the Spring Fling badges for didn't get recruited.  Instead, he immediately initiated the Snaptooth mish.

Edit: Are you saying that talking to him immediately after completing *one* of the arcs triggers the recruitment?  I'm pretty sure that you have to complete both of the arcs to get the Snaptooth mish.  But it didn't occur to me that you would only need one to be recruited for the Valentine deliveries.

Edited by Display Name

@Super Whatsit

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

That worked for me, *sometimes.*  I'm not sure about this but I think if you get a Valentine tip prior to talking to him, then he doesn't recruit you.  Which is virtually impossible to avoid after doing both the Ganymede/Scratch arcs.  Just about every toon I badged the Spring Fling badges for didn't get recruited.  Instead, he immediately initiated the Snaptooth mish.

Edit: Are you saying that talking to him immediately after completing *one* of the arcs triggers the recruitment?  I'm pretty sure that you have to complete both of the arcs to get the Snaptooth mish.  But it didn't occur to me that you would only need one to be recruited for the Valentine deliveries.

Ganymede and Scratch after you turn in their Lockbox/Cauldron missions give you a mission to see what DJ wants.  DJ then gives you a spiel about delivering Valentines.  I haven't seen what happens when you say you don't want to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Valentine Tips drop at any point after you're level 20 I think, you don't have to talk to anyone to get them to drop, they drop from anything as long as the event is active.  The bigger issue with those tips is that they don't take your allignment into account and you might get tips for zones you can't access (for example, a pure villain can't deliver U'kon Gra'i's letter since both Positron and Blue Steel are in hero zones).  Can be an issue if you're stubborn and don't want to flip sides with Null every so often.

Yep.  And if you're a Praetorian, you can't even dismiss the ones you can't go to.  (I forget which particular ones since it's been some time)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have found it useful to keep a Valentine's Day mission "all year" to have a tip that won't disappear if you change alignments or after doing a morality mission. I find having one is useful for the times when I start a mission with difficulty parameters I don't want and forgot to change.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later

I had a 

On 2/12/2024 at 5:39 PM, tidge said:

I have found it useful to keep a Valentine's Day mission "all year" to have a tip that won't disappear if you change alignments or after doing a morality mission. I find having one is useful for the times when I start a mission with difficulty parameters I don't want and forgot to change.

I had this Valentine Mish for approx 4 years (3 years of non-playing until spring of 2023,) before I got a legit answer to easily solve it before the Valentine Event started in 2024!

I thank G-d that I asked to solve it before the Valentine's Event 2024 started!  I was able to eliminate it, easily!

@Super Whatsit

On 2/12/2024 at 5:39 PM, tidge said:

Whoops!  Strangely, I missed your point, entirely!

I kept a Halloween tip (Whispered Rumors) on each of my toons for some strange reason, and now you've explained to me why I did that!  For some odd reason, I kept a Whispered Rumors tip on each of my event badging toons "just because."  But now, I see why my unconscious desire to do so occurred!

Thank you for explaining this "Gamer Sense" tingling!

@Super Whatsit