Shield/ Secondary Help?

OdinAZ

Hello,  this is my first time making a Tanker.  I want to build Shield for Primary, but i am unsure of the secondary.

Right now I am am looking at Martial Arts, Energy Melee, or Psionic Melee.  Are there any good standouts from those?

Energy Melee hits like a truck.  Martial Arts pushes defense up into incarnate soft-cap land easily.  Psi Melee I am less versed in.   Dark Melee, which you did not mention, is often talked about as a good pairing for shield both for the added "defense" of toHit debuffing and the self-healing attack that Shield doesn't have itself.

16 minutes ago, OdinAZ said:

Hello,  this is my first time making a Tanker.  I want to build Shield for Primary, but i am unsure of the secondary.

Right now I am am looking at Martial Arts, Energy Melee, or Psionic Melee.  Are there any good standouts from those?

Of those i would opt for Martial Arts. You could build more resistances in.

Dark Melee is good also as Zemx said. It has a +endurance power also, which can be handy for Shield. It can be an endurance hog depending on build.

17 minutes ago, OdinAZ said:

I would argue that dark melee or radiation melee make the best picks, since both have a self-heal, (which shield defense lacks), and radiation melee also includes a  damage aura.  Dark melee does have 2 additional PBAoEs, but they're on kind of long recharges.

If you're building with the Set Enhancements, you can slot two absorb procs (one Tank, one Healing), a number of regeneration buffs, and a couple of healing procs (Panacea, Power Transfer) and all that helps make up for lack of a heal. I've got a Shield/Street Justice tank that plays fine, I enjoyed my Psionic Melee/Shield Defense stalker (very sturdy), and I've played both Shield Defense/Martial Arts and Martial Arts/Shield Defense (I didn't like the way the animations worked together on Shield  Defense/Martial Arts, but I'm pretty happy with Martial Arts/Shield Defense)

I have not tried Shield Defense/Energy Melee, but I'm sure it'll be fun. It's really hard to go wrong with Shield Defense. It is a great set.

• Like 1