Advanced Rikti Mothership Raid

Now that we have both advanced mode Rikti, and an instanced MSR...

Advanced Rikti Mothership Raid when?

Lock it down to level 50 characters only, and up the rewards to something like five Vanguard merits per defeat.

Sounds like fun.  It would be nice to have an actual somewhat challenging raid in the game again.

• Thumbs Down 3

Just now, MadnessAsMuse said:

Agreed. Is there somewhere we organize a Mothership raid? My last exploration badge in behind the mothership shield and I love a good raid.

That depends entirely on which shard you play on.  There's the old zone Rikti mothership raid that anyone can join, and then there's an instanced Rikti mothership raid for any one level 35+ with the Member of Vanguard badge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadnessAsMuse said:

I'm on Excelsior. I'll look into the Member of the Vanguard badge to increase my opportunities to get in this raid. Thank you.

If you are on Excel, the MSR is everyday at 3pm (1500) EST. Leaders vary between 3 or 4 people, but you will see everyone start gathering at 2:30 ish. If you're there by 2:50, you're pretty safe to get a spot. Weekends are a little busier obviously. There is usually another MSR on Friday nights around midnight.

On Indom, the MSR used to be run by Mrs every night, but that was like a year ago, so I have lost track of how it is now.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:17 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

Lock it down to level 50 characters only

I like the idea of expanding the event (we've had threads epreviously suggesting side missions inside the saucer for example, etc.) and everything, except this.  50-only stuff places too much emphasis on 50s, period.  There's a whole wide spectrum of fun stuff one is perfectly capable of doing sub-50.  Keep the 50-only to the Incarnate-only stuff, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I like the idea of expanding the event (we've had threads epreviously suggesting side missions inside the saucer for example, etc.) and everything, except this.  50-only stuff places too much emphasis on 50s, period.  There's a whole wide spectrum of fun stuff one is perfectly capable of doing sub-50.  Keep the 50-only to the Incarnate-only stuff, please.

But that's exactly what an "Advanced MSR" would be, in essence: an Incarnate-tier version of the MSR scenario, in an instance. Or something comparable to the 4-star TF's. Normal MSR (both instanced and overworld versions) wouldn't cease to exist or anything. The same league of lovably-silly randoes would still do the overworld MSR all the time, they've already shown that they love that scenario.

I think your concern doesn't really hold water in this case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A.I.D.A. said:

But that's exactly what an "Advanced MSR" would be, in essence: an Incarnate-tier version of the MSR scenario, in an instance. Or something comparable to the 4-star TF's. Normal MSR (both instanced and overworld versions) wouldn't cease to exist or anything. The same league of lovably-silly randoes would still do the overworld MSR all the time, they've already shown that they love that scenario.

I think your concern doesn't really hold water in this case.

It's not so much a "concern" just a distaste for tilting everything towards reinforcing the mistaken idea that one simply must have a 50 to play this game.  What's the reason to make it 50 only?  Why can't it still be be open to 35-50?  Isn't Aeon?   Let's just keep the 50-only stuff in its own lane; update this into that realm and we'll see the old version run much less often.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Right now, for endgame level 50 characters, we have Rikti mothership raids and Hamidon raids which are pathetic jokes compared to live and are now essentially farmed, Incarnate trials, and advanced mode TFs/SFs that 95% of the playerbase are gatekept from.  Even a few iTrial leaders do some gatekeeping by saying "No Masterminds," or "no pets," even though Masterminds are actually one of the best ATs in the game for iTrials.  A new, advanced level 50 raid would be beneficial because it'd be really, really hard to gatekeep away "less desirable" ATs and power sets, and it'd actually offer something resembling a challenge unlike the current two raids.

Plus, advanced mode Rikti were designed specifically for level 50 characters.

• Like 1

I have never, never seen an MSR gate-kept that way (and I've done a lot of them), although I don't doubt it happens elsewhere (Aeon is the one I usually see the worst behavior around).  I understand how a 50-only version of MSR would somehow stop/fix that.

Ultimately you propose this as a reaction to power creep, not the state of this single end-game activity.  You're suggestion is adjusting up to meet that creeping, not reigning it in.  I think your suggestion would actually do the opposite: it would support and encourage more power creep (see again: Aeon).

• Confused 2

Go have fun!

31 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I have never, never seen an MSR gate-kept that way (and I've done a lot of them), although I don't doubt it happens elsewhere (Aeon is the one I usually see the worst behavior around).  I understand how a 50-only version of MSR would somehow stop/fix that.

Ultimately you propose this as a reaction to power creep, not the state of this single end-game activity.  You're suggestion is adjusting up to meet that creeping, not reigning it in.  I think your suggestion would actually do the opposite: it would support and encourage more power creep (see again: Aeon).

I wasn't saying that MSRs are gatekept.  I was saying that regular MSRs are so easy that they've been effectively turned into a farm, much like Hamidon raids.  So for people playing level 50 characters who want a little challenge in the game but are gatekept out of advanced mode TFs/SFs, an advanced mode MSR would be a nice alternative.

I think a problem here is that there's only so much population.  Say 25% of the population runs MSRs.  Once split between the two options, a certain percent of that group ("people playing level 50 characters who want a little challenge in the game but are gatekept out of advanced mode TFs/SFs" for example) will then go off and run this 50-only content.  That means less to run the old version, and probably that they will be run less often.  If I'm right about that, then that means the window's shifted, again, to favoring "only 50s" toon in this game, which i more power creep.

Speaking of such things, whatever happened to that instanced version of the MSR?  I don't think I've been on one of those in ages.  Has anyone else seen them done commonly; any idea why not?  Weren't they sort of kicked up so more of the foes were tougher?

Go have fun!