Sentinel Basics?

H3LLP0P

I’m new to Sentinel, so before I jump in I wanted to get some advice to be sure I have the basic concept down. 

What I’m hoping I can build is something that can start a fight at range, then jump in for melee attacks to finish if needed. All the while being able to build survivability through slotting, etc. 

Is this what a Sentinel is supposed to be or should I be looking for a Blappler or something else for this kind of style?

Any build advice would be helpful as well. Right now I’m considering Dark/Energy.

Please and thank you!

Sentinels don't get any melee attacks in their primary or secondary and only get access to them in the epic pools (lvl 35+). That said, there are quite a few PBAoE attacks and you're likely to be using ranged attacks in close quarters. Don't think of a sentinel as an armored blaster, think of it as a ranged scrapper. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, H3LLP0P said:

I’m new to Sentinel, so before I jump in I wanted to get some advice to be sure I have the basic concept down. 

What I’m hoping I can build is something that can start a fight at range, then jump in for melee attacks to finish if needed. All the while being able to build survivability through slotting, etc. 

Is this what a Sentinel is supposed to be or should I be looking for a Blappler or something else for this kind of style?

Any build advice would be helpful as well. Right now I’m considering Dark/Energy.

Please and thank you!

I start off basically treating my sentinels like a ranged scrapper - with their more single-target focus, I take out problematic targets before the melee ATs even engaged, and you have the survivability to stay on your feet.  Later on, you can almost take on a tank role, opening up fights from range and being able to withstand the alpha strike.  I have many 50 Sentinels of various builds & powerset combos, but tend to prefer the more defense or hybrid-based armor sets.  Lately, I've been on a bit of a ninjitsu kick, but energy aura is also quite good.  My only contention with the latter is that you need top get close to enemies to restore your end.  This may not be a problem if you have a blast set that supports getting that close, but for me, I tend to prefer keeping a bit of distance so I can leverage my ranged attacks and avoid the more damaging melee ones.

Ranged Scrapper as an AT comparison is on point. Every Sentinel is mostly ranged to start, but how you engage a spawn changes once you get your ranged or pbaoe nuke.

In the case of dark/energy, Blackstar is pbaoe, so most of the time that is where you're going to start. Toss Dark Oblit for a 1-2 combo and then you can bounce out if you want. Or stay there if you can handle the heat. Or hover above them to assert dominance. 

The epics usually give you a ST attack,   a AoE attack option, and some control or utility options. i like what they give the AT. My Dark/Rad went /Dark for the melee attack and a 4th pbaoe. My new Beam/SR plans to go /elec for the melee attack, aoe immob, and dmg aura, so he can sit in the middle and cook with fewer runners. 

So it takes some time to get some versatility outside your blasts. But the end product is really fun, IMO.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

you probably got this from the others said, but to be direct about it, sentinels are a mid-range AT, they are NOT an AT that moves between long range and melee range.  I'm just coming back from a long break and haven't really tested this too in depth, but when I left sentinels actually had reduced ranges on their attacks.  Furthermore, due to their defense and not being limited to melee attacks, a sentinel in theory has less reason to move during a fight than any other AT.

Despite their name and being listed as a ranged damage class, Blasters actually have a ranged set and a melee set, so they are designed to fight at both long-range and melee-range.  Might I also suggest Dominators for a similar playstyle w/ less damage, but some added control.

• Like 1