Can't Use /altinvite

I'm finally getting around to adding all my characters to my supergroup, but I have encountered an odd issue where certain characters cannot be added and I get the message "(Character) is not on your account, cheater!" Weird, because they very definitely ARE.

Anyone else encounter this or know how to fix it?

Are you sure you're typing out the names correctly? Like maybe you have "Illusionary Lary" but one of those "L"s is an uppercase "i" (or vice versa) because someone else got the name first? And you're just so used to calling him what his name is SUPPOSED to be that you forgot which letter got swapped?

Alternately, are you sure these aren't characters of yours on an alt account?

Otherwise... idk =/

I know that if I want to invite an alt from my second account that alt has to be stood by me (well at least logged in to any zone but same server at the invite time) for the invite to go through.

If the alt is not logged in I get the Cheater message.

Alts from the same account and server just get added no problem!

Also make sure that your alts getting invited are on the same server, I lost track off a few and invite failed.

Good luck.

• Game Master
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 12:13 PM, Arnabas said:

I'm finally getting around to adding all my characters to my supergroup, but I have encountered an odd issue where certain characters cannot be added and I get the message "(Character) is not on your account, cheater!" Weird, because they very definitely ARE.

Anyone else encounter this or know how to fix it?

If you use multiple accounts, the game has no idea or connection between different client logins.  If you login to the game as "HeroGuyMan" for your Hero Guy toons, Hero Guy, Hero Guy Unmasked, and Hero Guy from College, and you are using a separate logon for "HeroGirlLady", who has Hero Girl Lady, Hero Girl Lady On Fleek and Hero Girl Lady Reloaded ... (quit cringing, there's a point to this.) When logged into "HeroGirlLady", none of "HeroGuyMan"s characters will work on Altinvite.  Just Hero Girl Lady's alts can be invited.

Even if you own both accounts yourself.  There's nothing connecting the two together. 

So to invite toons to the same SG across two accounts, you'd need to do it the old fashioned way: run two instances of Homecoming, or involve a 2nd computer running the game client, and login to each instance/computer with each account.  (The game will auto-logoff any attempt to login a single account more than once, so if HeroGuyMan is entered on both instances/computers, the last one with a correct password "wins" and the prior one auto-logs off.) Then do an /sginvite for at least one of the opposite account's characters (click Yes on the other instance/computer when the invite arrives.)  Once they're in, THAT toon can use /altinvite on the rest, so you can log the other instance off from there.

Edited by GM Tock

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

On 3/3/2024 at 1:59 AM, GM Tock said:

If you use multiple accounts, the game has no idea or connection between different client logins. 

That makes sense, but it's unfortunately not the case. I only have one account. In fact, the character I was trying to invite was on the same page (same group of 10) as the character I was using to do the inviting. I tried multiple times and couldn't figure it out. I even went to character selection and checked the spelling. I even copy/ pasted the name. Still wouldn't accept him.