Anyone else getting a "Microsoft Edge WebView" process starting with Mids?

nihilii

This took me a while to notice. Every instance of Mids 3.6.6 seems to start a Microsoft Edge WebView2 process, which consumes just a little bit of CPU (according to task manager) but sends my fans spinning like crazy.

Why does Mids need to connect to the Internet, anyway? I see it checks for updates (which I'd rather it didn't, frankly), but I don't understand why it needs 2% of my CPU and 500mb of RAM consistently to do that...

1. This would be something better asked in the Mids' Reborn Discord server as the developers stated that they don't check the forum any longer.

2. While Mids' Reborn does start several Edge WebView2 processes, my fans are whisper quiet while running Brave Browser, Thunderbird, Signal, Tidal, and Mids' Reborn simultaneously.  I suspect that it's something else kicking up your fans.  Also as far as requiring 500 MBs of RAM, welcome to 2024 where Windows programs are severely bloated and memory hungry.  16 GBs of RAM barely meets the minimum these days, and rumor is that Microsoft plans to bump Windows 11's minimum specs to 16 GBs of RAM soon.  I had to upgrade to 64 GBs of RAM simply because I ran out of memory just using Brave Browser, Thunderbird, Signal, Tidal, Mids' Reborn, and City of Heroes simultaneously.

3. To disable updates, Options > Configuration > Updates & Paths > Automatic Updates.  Switch it to "Disabled."