I finally found a Blaster to enjoy

TheMoncrief

I've had a long and not particularly happy relationship with Blasters since live release back in the day. My first character was an Energy/Energy Blaster who never made it much past level 20, as the frailty of the AT just meant I had no fun playing. I tried various other builds, like AR/Dev and Fire/Fire, and always bounced, right up until live shut down.

Which is to say, I've tried to play Blasters for a really long time. I could never make myself keep playing one. But I'm stubborn, or perhaps merely a slow learner, so when Homecoming opened up, Blasters were once more on the menu. The first one I made was a Water/Temporal Blaster, and after various struggles, I figured some stuff out, and actually started to have fun. Sometimes, anyway. But today I finally managed to get my Blaster - still only level 39, so not even at the cap much less incarnated out or anything - to feel fun and satisfying to play consistently.

Not sharing a build, it's not anything special, just trying to grab Artillery and Thunderstrike sets so my Ranged Defense is enough to keep me alive while I Hover above and wash my enemies away. But to me it feels worth celebrating that the very first AT I played when CoH first went live and have consistently found unsatisfying until today is actually enjoyable for me.

• Like 4
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Congrats on finding something that works for you!  I had a similar issue with finding a blaster sturdy enough to play. I finally managed it with DP/martial, which ended up making it to 50 mostly solo. I don't think blasters will ever be my favorite AT or anything, but it's nice to know that I can enjoy one. 

Keep on blasting, and I'll see you around the city! 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

Congrats!

This post sounds like me and how I can never find a Scrapper that I vibe with. Here's to many fun times with your new Blaster

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

for what it's worth....I struggled with certain AT's as well...blasters in particular....my energy/energy (vajazzler) hit 50 a while ago and the toon is super fun to play. 

add force feedback and knockback to knockdown to the AOE attacks and you'll be spamming damage

Edited by Android Nim

On 3/12/2024 at 8:55 AM, JStacy337 said:

Congrats!

This post sounds like me and how I can never find a Scrapper that I vibe with. Here's to many fun times with your new Blaster

same here, i have on scrapper and haven't built another. 80% my characters are all blasters and doms

• 2 weeks later
On 3/11/2024 at 10:31 PM, TheMoncrief said:

I've had a long and not particularly happy relationship with Blasters since live release back in the day. My first character was an Energy/Energy Blaster who never made it much past level 20, as the frailty of the AT just meant I had no fun playing. I tried various other builds, like AR/Dev and Fire/Fire, and always bounced, right up until live shut down.

Which is to say, I've tried to play Blasters for a really long time. I could never make myself keep playing one. But I'm stubborn, or perhaps merely a slow learner, so when Homecoming opened up, Blasters were once more on the menu. The first one I made was a Water/Temporal Blaster, and after various struggles, I figured some stuff out, and actually started to have fun. Sometimes, anyway. But today I finally managed to get my Blaster - still only level 39, so not even at the cap much less incarnated out or anything - to feel fun and satisfying to play consistently.

Not sharing a build, it's not anything special, just trying to grab Artillery and Thunderstrike sets so my Ranged Defense is enough to keep me alive while I Hover above and wash my enemies away. But to me it feels worth celebrating that the very first AT I played when CoH first went live and have consistently found unsatisfying until today is actually enjoyable for me.

This was actually next in my list, I just wanted to enjoy my sent more first because I think I might end up liking this one better.