An odd thing

LKN-351

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but it's definitely strange. We had some theories but neithe rof us where still completely sure what was going on.

So we finished a Task Force and the last mission was in Atlas Park. When we came out the door I noticed two people on the team had grey health bars instead of green so I asked about it as people where dropping from the team but no one responded. One of the two people that greyed out stuck around and we tossed ideas back and fourth as to what it could be and tested some ideas. The only consistent thing we could find was that in a certain area in AP one of us would disappear from the others map as well as their health bar greying. If we were both in that area it was fine, or if we where both outside of that area it was fine but one in and one out the other would vanish.

The thing that made the most sense was maybe one of us made different choices in some of the early missions that change things in the zone... but neither one of us thought that should do anything cause we were on the same team.

healthbar.png.9ce25ee419d9142aead45e867128cfbc.png

Thats the health bar.

APmap.png.632a7b0fc88a11588065566ced9f9de7.png

The area inside the yellow box was the area we found made the difference. The red dot is where the TF ended and where the teammate was standing. From where my marker is on the map if i had taken a few steps into the yellow box his marker would have appeared on my map and his health bar would have went back to green.

Anyone else know whats going on here?

There are a few missions that phase areas in and out. If they (for instance) did Matthew Habashy's intro mission and you DFB'd it up instead, they'd be phased in that area because they have a different' experience' there.

It's ... honestly really annoying.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Like @Greycat said, one of you did the Matthew Habashy arc, including the Aaron Thiery part, and the other did not. The area you have highlighted is where Arachnos forces would be during Aaron Thiery's arc, but becomes the normal Hellion, Vahzilok, and Clockwork filled area otherwise. So was one of you seeing Arachnos and the other Hellions, Vahzilok, and Clockwork; or were you both seeing Hellions, Vahzilok, and Clockwork? That's part of the problem with the zone phasing mechanic. If everyone on the team didn't do the same things, they encounter different versions of the affected area.

22 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Like @Greycat said, one of you did the Matthew Habashy arc

That doesn't make a difference to the zoned out areas of Atlas.  Everyone on the team could have the same progress, but if say one is sitting in City Hall and the other is in one of the phasing areas, neither can port the others for instance.

Mercy has the same thing.

Yeah, I couldn't use recall on anyone that was greyed out, I forgot to mention that... but I suppose it doesn't matter since our top theory was correct lol

I knew phasing existed but I never really dug into the specifics on it and always thought the phase would be the same for the whole team based on the leader. Interesting.

It's not a bug it's a feature lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lemming said:

That doesn't make a difference to the zoned out areas of Atlas.  Everyone on the team could have the same progress, but if say one is sitting in City Hall and the other is in one of the phasing areas, neither can port the others for instance.

Mercy has the same thing.

Are you sure? In Mercy, what I see on my higher level characters very much depends on what I did as a starting character. Whether the phased part of the zone is there or not changes upon whether or not I did Operative Kuzmin's arc. Just like Laura Lockhart in Steel Canyon and the doctor in Imperial City. What the character did changes what they interact with while on a team with someone that did that part differently.

30 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Are you sure? In Mercy, what I see on my higher level characters very much depends on what I did as a starting character. Whether the phased part of the zone is there or not changes upon whether or not I did Operative Kuzmin's arc. Just like Laura Lockhart in Steel Canyon and the doctor in Imperial City. What the character did changes what they interact with while on a team with someone that did that part differently.

Yes, the characters will see different things depending on what they did, but it doesn't matter for WHERE the phasing happens.

Have one team member stand in front of Habashy  [248.2, 16.1, -475.9], have another member due west at [638.5, 0, -475.9]

They'll still be green. Now have them hop the fence [641.2, 0, -475.9]

Now they're grey and tp friend becomes invalid target.

Interesting, Incan & ATT still work, so maybe we can get Teleport Target to work.

Screwing around, if you target a mob on one side of the fence and then go to the other side, they fade from view and deselect.  Even more fun, if they run to the side you're not on, they fade out, but if followed, pop up again.  (Fade out depends on what side they start on)

Edited by lemming
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, lemming said:

Yes, the characters will see different things depending on what they did, but it doesn't matter for WHERE the phasing happens.

Have one team member stand in front of Habashy  [248.2, 16.1, -475.9], have another member due west at [638.5, 0, -475.9]

They'll still be green. Now have them hop the fence [641.2, 0, -475.9]

Now they're grey and tp friend becomes invalid target.

Interesting, Incan & ATT still work, so maybe we can get Teleport Target to work.

Screwing around, if you target a mob on one side of the fence and then go to the other side, they fade from view and deselect.  Even more fun, if they run to the side you're not on, they fade out, but if followed, pop up again.  (Fade out depends on what side they start on)

I'm thinking that is because while in the phased part of the map, they are considered to be on different maps. I'm not certain that is the case, it is just what I previously heard.