Demons/Thermal - General build advice

Duckbutler

I'm trying to get out of my melee/tank wheelhouse a little bit and pick up something else that's more support oriented. I had a thermal corruptor back in the day and she was pretty great (if sadly team dependent) so I thought I would give it a whirl on mastermind. So far this character is pretty great! Right now it's in the early 30's and riding common IOs with 2 pet unique passives.

My question is more looking for general mastermind build advice/strategy/theory.

I look across both sets together and I see a bunch of stuff in the mastermind primary I probably want to 6 slot. Which is fine on slots, a lot of the secondary looks like it'll be okay with 4 or fewer slots except maybe the heals. In this particular case I think I want to push the pet resists up as much as I can. That makes it tempting to start frankenslotting the pets to get as many of the pet globals as possible, but then I get concerned I'm going to lose out on set bonuses and the MM themself isn't going to be as durable as I'd like. Plus hey, the pets need the accuracy/damage/endurance from the normal enhancements. So then I wonder if Hell on Earth should be muling passives from the sets I don't want to use. It loses some efficacy as a power in its own right, but maybe that's okay because it doesn't seem great anyway.

Does this all seem like sound build logic? Am I silly for worrying about the set bonuses or personal durability on the MM? Silly for other reasons?

I didn't get any responses, so this is what I came up with!

Data Chunk

Spoiler

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

Summary

Spoiler

1st Draft - Hero Mastermind
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
──────────────────────────────
Primary powerset: Demon SummoningSecondary powerset: Thermal RadiationPool powerset (#1): FlightPool powerset (#2): LeadershipPool powerset (#3): FightingPool powerset (#4): ExperimentationEpic powerset: Mace Mastery

Powers taken:

Level 1: Summon Demonlings
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage3: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance3: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage5: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance5: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance7: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen

Level 1: Warmth
A: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb17: Preventive Medicine: Heal33: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance33: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime34: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime34: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 2: Corruption
A: Thunderstrike: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance11: Thunderstrike: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge31: Thunderstrike: Damage/Endurance/Recharge34: Thunderstrike: Accuracy/Damage36: Devastation: Chance of Hold

Level 4: Cauterize
A: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Endurance7: Doctored Wounds: Endurance/Recharge9: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Recharge9: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Endurance/Recharge11: Doctored Wounds: Heal

Level 6: Enchant Demon
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction

Level 8: Fire Shield
A: Reactive Armor: Resistance36: Reactive Armor: Resistance/Endurance36: Reactive Armor: Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 10: Plasma Shield
A: Titanium Coating: Resistance37: Titanium Coating: Resistance/Endurance37: Titanium Coating: Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 12: Summon Demons
A: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage13: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance13: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance/Recharge15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge17: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura

Level 14: Fly
A: Blessing of the Zephyr: Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 16: Power of the Phoenix
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 18: Hell on Earth
A: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets19: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus19: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus21: Expedient Reinforcement: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge21: Expedient Reinforcement: Endurance/Damage/Recharge23: Expedient Reinforcement: Accuracy/Damage

Level 20: Maneuvers
A: Reactive Defenses: Defense23: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance29: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime33: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 22: Tactics
A: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance31: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge31: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff

Level 24: Summon Demon Prince
A: Soulbound Allegiance: Damage25: Soulbound Allegiance: Damage/Recharge25: Soulbound Allegiance: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy27: Soulbound Allegiance: Recharge/Accuracy27: Soulbound Allegiance: Damage/Endurance29: Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build Up

Level 26: Abyssal Empowerment
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction

Level 28: Crack Whip
A: Annihilation: Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime45: Annihilation: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance45: Annihilation: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime46: Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 30: Thaw
A: Gladiator's Armor: TP Protection +3% Def (All)40: Steadfast Protection: Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 32: Forge
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction37: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 35: Scorpion Shield
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed43: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance/Recharge46: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance46: Luck of the Gambler: Defense

Level 38: Melt Armor
A: Shield Breaker: Defense Debuff39: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Defense Debuff39: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Recharge43: Shield Breaker: Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge48: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge48: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage

Level 41: Heat Exhaustion
A: Invention: AccuracyA: Invention: Accuracy42: Invention: Recharge Reduction42: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 44: Boxing
(Empty)

Level 47: Tough
A: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HPA: Unbreakable Guard: ResistanceA: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance48: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 49: Weave
A: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)A: Shield Wall: Defense/EnduranceA: Shield Wall: Defense/Endurance/Recharge50: Shield Wall: Defense

Inherents:

Level 1: Supremacy

Level 1: Brawl
(Empty)

Level 1: Sprint
(Empty)

Level 2: Rest
(Empty)

Level 1: Swift
(Empty)

Level 1: Hurdle
(Empty)

Level 1: Health
A: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance40: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery42: Miracle: +Recovery

Level 1: Stamina
A: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End40: Performance Shifter: EndMod

Level 14: Afterburner

Level 1: Cold Demonling

Level 1: Fiery Demonling

Level 1: Hellfire Demonling

Level 12: Ember Demon

Level 12: Hellfire Gargoyle

Level 24: Demon Prince

Mastermind (Demon Summoning - Thermal Radiation).mbd

Generally on MMs you'll want to split "Superior Mark of Supremacy" into three (2x in each pet, plus 1-2 other Frankenslotted IOs/HOs to ED-cap their damage and raise their Accuracy/Endurance). That leaves roughly 2-3 slots free in each of your pets for procs and Aura IOs.
The "Superior Command of the Mastermind" set can also be useful to 4-slot somewhere if you've room (it would fit nicely in Hell on Earth; plus 2 Aura IOs).

On Demons, IIRC the T3 Prince can make good use of the Impeded Swiftness and Ice Mistral's Torment damage procs; and the T2s need a fair bit of +res slotting... so personally I'd probably stick the the remaining two aura IOs into the T1 Demonlings if possible; along with the Soulbound Aallegiance Proc.

Other considerations? Above all else... be sure to get yourself a solid set of keybinds.
Powerswise; the Leadership pool never goes amiss on MMs and /Thermal really likes Hasten.
For Incarnates? Musculature Core Alpha; Barrier Core or Clarion Core Destiny; Support Core or Melee Core Hybrid; Degenerative or Reactive Interface; Void Radial Judgement. Realistically any Lore Pets will be fine with a Demon/Thermal as you don't really need additional healing or -regen, and mez protection can be handled via Clarion Destiny or Melee Hybrid... but the support pets from Knives of Vengance (Offense) or Talons of Vengance (Defence) will provide the best wide-area buffs.

Edited by Maelwys

On 3/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, Duckbutler said:

I'm trying to get out of my melee/tank wheelhouse a little bit and pick up something else that's more support oriented. I had a thermal corruptor back in the day and she was pretty great (if sadly team dependent) so I thought I would give it a whirl on mastermind. So far this character is pretty great! Right now it's in the early 30's and riding common IOs with 2 pet unique passives.

My question is more looking for general mastermind build advice/strategy/theory.

I look across both sets together and I see a bunch of stuff in the mastermind primary I probably want to 6 slot. Which is fine on slots, a lot of the secondary looks like it'll be okay with 4 or fewer slots except maybe the heals. In this particular case I think I want to push the pet resists up as much as I can. That makes it tempting to start frankenslotting the pets to get as many of the pet globals as possible, but then I get concerned I'm going to lose out on set bonuses and the MM themself isn't going to be as durable as I'd like. Plus hey, the pets need the accuracy/damage/endurance from the normal enhancements. So then I wonder if Hell on Earth should be muling passives from the sets I don't want to use. It loses some efficacy as a power in its own right, but maybe that's okay because it doesn't seem great anyway.

Does this all seem like sound build logic? Am I silly for worrying about the set bonuses or personal durability on the MM? Silly for other reasons?

Bit late, this is what i've been running. Not great but it is fun and does just fine for 90% of stuff:

DEMONS THERMAL - Mastermind (Demon Summoning - Thermal Radiation).mbd

I have a Demons/Thermal and it's built similar to yours. It plays well but I feel it's not as enjoyable as other MM combos. Merc/Storm, Thugs/Time, Necro/Dark, Bots/Traps and Beast/TA. I've been thinking about respec to add the new Dark Mastery pool for Murky Cloud (Instead of Scorpion Shield). It's possible to get +75% res to S/L/F/C/E/N with MC. Toxic and Psionic res will be on the weaker side. I also want to pick up Dark Pit. It's an AoE stun that sounds similar to Howling Twilight (Without the rez/slow/fear). I actually love HT, use it frequently just for the stun and imagine Dark Pit will be the same.

I added Murky Cloud to your build just for a better idea of what I'm talking about. Swapped out the Shield Breaker set for Analyze Weakness in Melt Armor to top up S/L res. Dropped the odd IO that were chasing F/C/E/N res since MC capped them already. Also tried to bump up Psionic res a bit with the Impervium Armor +Psionic res (It's not a unique) but those slots could probably be served better elsewhere:

Mastermind (Demon Summoning - Thermal Radiation) SFA.mbd

• 3 weeks later
On 3/25/2024 at 7:35 AM, Duckbutler said:

You can fit the two ATO uniques into your first level demons. 4 slot command of the mastermind 2 slot mark of supremacy for 2 10% rech bonuses, two pet uniques, and you can still pull 95% damage and more than 60% accuracy out of slotting. 

You can put 3 hami os Acc/Dam, two +5 resist IOs, and another unique into your Lt pets

Then hell on earth 6 slot with your remaining 3 uniques, one +5 acc io for the little hellspawns, and two +5 rech IOs

Then the remaining 4 mark of supremacy IOs, OF Kb proc, and a slow damage proc into the prince. 

Then yeah thermal you could get away with 3 slotting the resist powers, but Id recommend 4 for the melee bonus on Unbreakable guard. You could also consider throwing in a 5th slot into each for the two 3% defense uniques for you personally. 

And yes I 5 slot both heals with panacea for the recharge bonus. 

My biggest other recommendation is that I feel like for thermal and cold, Rune of Protection from the sorcery pool is flat out not optional. Thermal has zero protection for the actual mastermind (Its absolute bullshit, imo, that you can place shields on everyone but yourself) and while thats not so bad damage wise because of bodyguard, its absolutely TERMINAL because of crowd control. It doesn't matter how strong your pets are, they WILL die if youre held for a solid minute unable to heal or do anything else while your pets die around you. Rune of protection is your "Fuck you youre not gonna hold me to death, assholes" button. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox

On 4/19/2024 at 12:51 PM, TheSpiritFox said:

My biggest other recommendation is that I feel like for thermal and cold, Rune of Protection from the sorcery pool is flat out not optional. Thermal has zero protection for the actual mastermind (Its absolute bullshit, imo, that you can place shields on everyone but yourself) and while thats not so bad damage wise because of bodyguard, its absolutely TERMINAL because of crowd control. It doesn't matter how strong your pets are, they WILL die if youre held for a solid minute unable to heal or do anything else while your pets die around you. Rune of protection is your "Fuck you youre not gonna hold me to death, assholes" button. 

I'm circling back around to this character. I could probably take my inspiration manipulation macros for melee damage to funnel everything into damage boost and use them to create more hold protection if that's a real concern. Just getting two more of the pet resist/defense uniques made the pets much more durable, but yeah there was a point where they all ran off for some reason and I didn't know just how far the pets had gone and I really felt that squishiness. It's still better solo than my old fire/thermal corruptor on the live servers, though!