Rad/SS

Wolfrian

My search fu is garbage, and it seems like most Rad/SS buffs used Gloom pre-nerf. What's everyone using for Rad/SS builds nowadays? Hit 50 with the mapserver event and now I'm looking to build him out.

Thanks!

To replace gloom for single target filler attack with good dpa I think some people are still taking cross punch. If you take both boxing and kick I think it’s still pretty good. You’re likely going to want to dip into fighting pool for weave anyway.

mezmerize was discussed here as an alternative to gloom too:

Regardless, Rad/SS has some amazing synergies with proc builds. My approach would be to build a very aggressive tank with this combo and fill it with procs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I think the most "conventional" path nowadays would be to run Haymaker -> Cross Punch -> KO Blow -> Haymaker -> Cross Punch -> [epic hold] as an attack chain. Proccing this out. The epic holds went from 32s recharge to 24s recharge, which is a perfect fit for this chain (near identical to KO Blow).

Haymaker -> Mesmerize -> KO Blow -> Haymaker -> Mesmerize -> Dominate can be an alternative. It would likely do less damage but also be safer (you would sleep your target for an instant every few seconds and get a 40% chance for a large heal, it's almost like being Dark Melee with Siphon Life).

(Arguably, if you are NOT concerned with optimal ST damage for soloing AVs, the good ol' Gloom builds might still work. In real gameplay one tends to add a Foot Stomp into the mix against trash mobs, while AV fights tend to come with teammates boosting your recharge.)

I'd still embrace the new paradigm, for the sake of flexibility. If you go dark epic you can proc out the hold there *and* get Tar Patch, which is an excellent route...

Not sure how well this still holds up. Someone with more knowledge might have something more current. This is not my build btw a kind soul posted this under the Proc monsters section. Maybe this will help newer folks. If anyone has some thoughts maybe we can create the ultimate rad/ss tanker 🙂 

The Aprocalypse (1).mbd

Eh, with SS rad would be clunky. It works best with shield, invuln, but my personal best in slot for SS would be electric as it can be easily capped with a tanker and SS is very endurance hungry.

8 minutes ago, Ashford said:

Eh, with SS rad would be clunky. It works best with shield, invuln, but my personal best in slot for SS would be electric as it can be easily capped with a tanker and SS is very endurance hungry.

Endurance  hungry is an argument in favor of Rad Armor, not against it. Moreover, there Rad has a +Rchg power, another thing which benefits SS.

I think I might the only person that isn't on board the gloom/st from epic train and instead chose to embrace arctic breath for a super proc tank. Most Rad/SS proc builds I see still gives up proc slotting for enhancements that boost acc/dam/end. As far as I know @Spaghetti Betty is the only other poster that has linked builds where attacks are 6 slotted with just procs.

I remember a post a while back where someone asked what's the build with powers that can hold the most procs and most responses were /temporal defenders or some such. No, Rad/SS is the poster child for extreme proc builds. It's very effective and it's a breath of fresh air compared to the conventional "You should shoot for 45% defense and/or resists cap" mentality that dominates the Tanker forums.

Edited by Nemu

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

4 hours ago, Nemu said:

I think I might the only person that isn't on board the gloom/st from epic train and instead chose to embrace arctic breath for a super proc tank. Most Rad/SS proc builds I see still gives up proc slotting for enhancements that boost acc/dam/end. As far as I know @Spaghetti Betty is the only other poster that has linked builds where attacks are 6 slotted with just procs.

Argh! I was pinged!

I'd just like to clarify that I only fully proc bomb in special cases! I still have to find ways to slot Slow RES so puzzles have to be puzzled!

SS can get away with it because Double stacked Rage provides so much +tohit. You absolutely could 6-slot KO Blow and Foot Stomp with just procs and you'll see a massive return with no consequence. This also means any attacks you end up grabbing along with SS benefit from the same thing. Set bonuses are still a bit important!

On 4/4/2024 at 5:09 AM, nihilii said:

Yeah, I think the most "conventional" path nowadays would be to run Haymaker -> Cross Punch -> KO Blow -> Haymaker -> Cross Punch -> [epic hold] as an attack chain. Proccing this out. The epic holds went from 32s recharge to 24s recharge, which is a perfect fit for this chain (near identical to KO Blow).

This is the way!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!