Noodling with Assault/--/Arsenal Mastery

tidge

I have an Assault Rifle / Plant / Arsenal Mastery Blaster. For this purposes of this post, the Plant Manipulation secondary isn't that critical for me:

• After playing around with the powers, I am only taking 5 of them, because
  • I wanted to lean into "rifle action" of the primary
  • I was initially committed to the secondary melee (Blapperlock?) but in practice I found I wasn't using the melee and they didn't synergize well with my use of the primary.

This had the result that I ended up with plenty of extra slots to use in (Epic) pool powers, so I felt like adding more options to the Assault Rifle. My build also worked out that the power picks I wanted made it so that by the time the Epic pool was available (at level 35), I could drop each of the powers I wanted in as consecutive power picks. That is: these choices felt like extensions of my original abilities, and I wasn't "waiting" until level 49 to "finish" my build's offense.

Note: I typically do not add Hasten to builds (I rely on Global +Recharge to smooth out or minimalize attack chains), so my final build has an absurdly large number of attacks: 7 from the primary, 3 from the epic, 2 from the secondary, on top of a few debuffs to apply to enemies. FWIW: the build has 71% Global Recharge and a 20% Global Range boost, plus a Global +60% Accuracy and a toggled +6% ToHit.

Question: Is there a way to get the Epic Arsenal Mastery weapon to exactly match my custom choice of Primary Assault Rifle?

I'll share my full build later, but for now I want to noodle on the Epic Arsenal Mastery. Here are my current choices:

Level 35: Body Armor with 4x Unbreakable Guard. This is my go-to slotting for Epic Armors. an earlier power pick is muling the other globals.

Level 38: Cryo Freeze Ray. I originally had Strangler (Plant Secondary) in the build, but I was dissatisfied with its performance, and choosing Strangler messed with my desired power pool picks from Force of Will (which will come back, keep reading). I am completely satisfied with picking up a rifle-cast single-target hold at this level.

My slotting is: level 53 Cytoplasm Exposure (Accuracy/Mezz), and 5x %damage pieces. The recharge time is 15 seconds, which is about twice as fast as my AoE Hold Vines (from the Plant Secondary). There are only marginally available bonuses from slotting multiple set pieces, so %damage seems to work best: this attack "finishes" many targets and stacks Holds. I debated adding the %+2 Mag Hold, but for much of what I play I don't need that bonus. (I keep one available to swap-slot for harder team content).

Level 41: Sleep Grenade slotted with 5x Fortunata Hypnosis. The recharge time here is 34 seconds. This is an odd power choice for me. I picked it because I found that the AoE, despite being smallish, was adding a little bit of extra Survival and AoE control that I wanted. I have this slotted for a Very Rare Enhancement set bonus as I didn't need more AoE %damage even though it is a reliable %proc power. If I had a 6th slot, I would probably add Annihilation %-Resistance to it, as I have observed that the application of %-Res does not wake up enemies.

I turned out that at level 41 I didn't have a power that I was likely to use (after experimenting) so Sleep Grenade was the last power added to the build. I could replace it with all sorts of other powers, possibly redirecting some of its slots, but for me it feels like a good addition.

Level 44: LRM Rocket slotted with a 50+5 Accuracy/Recharge from Ragnarok, and 4x %damage. The recharge time on the "fast" version is 16 seconds; I try to only use it while "engaged". I experimented with using the Force Feedback %+Recharge in it, but the 2 PPM proc chance wasn't occurring enough to help with my other powers. I end up using this for mixed reasons: sometimes I have a surviving cluster that deserves an attack, often it is used for runners (because of the long range).

I didn't take Surveillance, even though I like the power. My build has Weaken Resolve (from Force of Will, one of two steps to Unleash Potential) at level 8; generally I find that this sort of power is more useful in the low-to-mid level content, and I don't think it is as useful in place of any of the other power picks, given my ability to dedicate slots to them.

Any thoughts, or anyone care to share their experiences with the set?

8 hours ago, tidge said:

I have an Assault Rifle / Plant / Arsenal Mastery Blaster. For this purposes of this post, the Plant Manipulation secondary isn't that critical for me:

Question: Is there a way to get the Epic Arsenal Mastery weapon to exactly match my custom choice of Primary Assault Rifle?

Sorry, can't quite focus well enough to properly read and respond to most of your post, but I can help a little bit.

My main is an Assault Rifle / Devices Blaster.  I've fiddled with the Costume Editor.  More complicated for me as I have 3 builds each with a different Epic Mastery Powerset.

To get the Rifle the same for Assault Rifle and Arsenal Mastery, go into the Costume Editor, change both Rifles to be the same (there will be entries for both Assault Rifle and Arsenal Mastery weapon), but do not try to use the Holster feature.  It seems to mess things up.

And here's the 3 current builds I have for my AR/Dev Blaster, Arsenal Mastery, Force Mastery, and Mu Mastery.  Hope they help you.

Blaster AR-Dev.1.20240310.MunM MF TT Weave Maneu [i27p7] @Jacke - Jacke Dark.mbdBlaster AR-Dev.2.20240310.ForceM MF TT Weave Maneu [i27p7] @Jacke - Jacke Dark.mbdBlaster AR-Dev.3.20240310.MuM Rune TT Weave Maneu [i27p7] @Jacke - Jacke Dark.mbd

• Thanks 1

I didn't think to recheck weapons customization after I choose that pool. Unfortunately, the weapon I had chosen was available as a choice for Arsenal Mastery but it was invisible! (it was one of the last three choices).

• Sad 1

• 1 month later

I've been noodling a bit myself on a blaster.  I haven't achieved much other than journeyman status on blasters as a whole, but I'm paying a lot more attention this time around.

On my fire/atomic I'm currently running with Assault Mastery as well and here's how I'm currently looking at it.

Body Armor:  Glad Armor proc, Glad Armor Resist+5, Glad Armor Resist/REch +5.  I have a tough time saving enough slots for Unbreakable Guard, especially since any recharge or endurance is kind of wasted.  I'm running Sorcery and Rune of Protection which gets GA Res+5, GA R/E +5, GA R/Rech+5.  Between those two my KB protection is covered through set bonuses.

Sleep Grenade:  This is a bit of an odd one.  I chose this mostly for the Call of the Sandman % for heal, and then have two pieces of the purple sleep set (A/R and A/S/R all +5).  A 15% heal that has a good chance of activating when hitting a crowd makes a pretty reliable spot heal, and having the group sleep a bit gives some time for the regen/recovery of the sustain to kick in.

I skipped Cryo Freeze Ray since I've got Radioactive Cloud and may add in Positron Cell as well.  Surveillance looks ok, but I'd be looking for a group debuff rather than a single target.  I may sneak it in there if I end up trying to make this an AV hunter.

I just dinged 48 and added LRM rocket at 47.  My current plan is to frankenslot with HO/DSOs and an Annihilation proc, but I haven't used it yet.  I'm not sure it's going to make the final cut, but I'll give it a shot soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

My Arsenal slotting ended up as:

Body Armor: 4x Unbreakable Guard

Cryo Freeze Ray: HO Endoplasm (Acc/Mezz), 5x %damage

Sleep Grenade: 5x Fortunata Hypnosis

LRM Rocket: Ragnarok Accuracy/Recharge (+5), 4x %damage

I realize I haven't shared my build, I'll try to do that within 24 hours. I took a somewhat crazy approach leaning much harder into %damage than I would normally recommend (for a Blaster), yet it kinda works. I practically ignored the secondary to be able to focus on all the gun action.

I didn't take Surveillance. My build already has Weaken Resolve (much earlier), and with only two more power picks I needed mules for KB protection and a Shield Wall.

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I just dinged 48 and added LRM rocket at 47.  My current plan is to frankenslot with HO/DSOs and an Annihilation proc, but I haven't used it yet.  I'm not sure it's going to make the final cut, but I'll give it a shot soon.

With some of the recent changes to it, it's a wonderful pick. The base long recharge is if fired, Sniper Shot style (less bonus damage but slightly wider AoE) from outside of combat. But once the yellow ring appears, it's an 80ft range, 32s recharge, 12ft AoE with solid damage, although you might want to use the OF set for knockback-to-knockdown in this one to keep it clean.

Although the 'sniper mini-nuke' mode does lock you out of the other form for its full time, there's no trap involved in its usage, and it's easy to find this one a good home for either or both forms.

This should be my current Assault/Plant/Arsenal build:

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Assault Rifle

Secondary Power Set: Plant Manipulation

Power Pool: Force of Will

Power Pool: Concealment

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Arsenal Mastery

------------

Level 1:                 Slug       

(A) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Defiant Barrage - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Defiant Barrage - RechargeTime/+Status

Level 1:                 Skewer

(A) Hecatomb - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage (Negative): Level 50

Level 2:                 Buckshot            

(A) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 4:                 Mighty Leap      

(A) Hami-O Microfilament (End/Travel): Level 53

Level 6:                 M30 Grenade   

(A) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage (Energy)

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

Level 8:                 Weaken Resolve             

(A) Hami-O Lysosome (Acc/-Def/-ToHit): Level 53

Level 10:              Toxins  

(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

(*) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 12:              Sniper Rifle        

(A) Apocalypse - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage (Negative): Level 50

Level 14:              Combat Jumping             

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Global Recharge Speed

(*) Kismet - ToHit +6%

Level 16:              Spore Cloud      

(A) Hami-O Enzyme (End/-ToHit/-Def): Level 53

Level 18:              Flamethrower  

(A) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 20:              Wild Fortress    

(A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal

(*) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

(*) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

(*) Endurance Modification IO: Level 50+5

Level 22:              Ignite   

(A) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 24:              Unleash Potential           

(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

(*) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26:              Full Auto             

(A) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Recharge/Chance for Fire Damage

Level 28:              Vines    

(A) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Damage (Smashing): Level 50

(*) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage (Psionic)

(*) Superior Entomb - Recharge/Chance for +Absorb

Level 30:              Maneuvers        

Level 32:              Stealth 

Level 35:              Body Armor       

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 38:              Cryo Freeze Ray              

(A) Hami- O Endoplasm (Acc/Mezz): Level 53

(*) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage (Psionic)

(*) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage (Psionic): Level 30

(*) Ice Mistral’s Torment - Chance of Damage (Cold)

Level 41:              Sleep Grenade 

(A) Fortunata Hypnosis - Chance for Placate: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Sleep/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 44:              LRM Rocket       

(A) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

Level 47:              Infiltration

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 49:              Grant Invisibility              

(A) Shield Wall - +Resistance (All)

Level 1: Brawl    

(A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint   

(A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Rest      

(A) Interrupt Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 2: Swift     

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Health  

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

Level 2: Stamina               

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

(*) Performance Shifter - EndMod

(*) Power Transfer - %Heal

Some comments:

While playing, I found very little synergy between the primary and secondary "attacks". I found it too clumsy to try to use the secondary attacks. It was more convenient for me to leverage cones and AoE without trying to get in close most of the time. The Epic Arsenal simply reinforced (or leveraged) my choice to go minimal on the Plant secondary.

So much %damage! There is a healthy amount of damage-over-time in this build, so I wanted more "up front" %damage... and when possible off-brand damage types. I didn't exactly skimp on set bonuses, because...

...So many attacks! I wanted to lean-into doing all sorts of rando-stuff with the Rifle! I didn't necessarily want a 'clean and simple' attack chain.

This is NOT a tank-mage. It has weaknesses... but it was built to be all about FIREPOWER. It is hella fun.

In fairness, "tank-mage" stopped being a worry when Tankers got a 0.8 damage multiplier and fireballs while still able to herd and tank entire maps at once. So that ship sailed over a decade ago.

• 2 weeks later