Defender vs Corruptor

Ultimo

So, I'm still struggling with my Magneto-based character, and I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether to make him a Corruptor or Defender.
I posted about this before, here's a brief summary of my thinking.

First, I made him a Controller, Grav/FF.  The problem with this is, the critical gravity powers all teleport objects or enemies, which isn't quite right for a magnetic character.

So, I next made him a Controller, Earth/FF.  This didn't quite work because it was so ground based, and just didn't quite "feel" right.

My next effort was a Corruptor, Seismic Blast/FF.  This is what I'm using now.  The seismic blast powers are... ok.  They do kind of conjure rocks out of thin air, but that's easily rationalized as pulling debris together from the surroundings.  Magneto used this trick a few times over the years, so it does kind of work.  The problem with this character is how SQUISHY he is, and how utterly incapable he is.  Damage seems really anemic, and he's out of endurance before he can defeat even one foe.

So, I've been considering making him a Defender, FF/Seismic, but I'm not sure.  Mids suggests the Defender's damage is even MORE anemic (Encase, for example, is listed at 70dps on the Corruptor and 30 on the Defender... quite a difference).  His defenses would certainly be better, but even at that are kind of minimal (with Hover, Combat Jumping, Maneuvers and Weave he gets to around 36% Defense, compared to the Corruptor's 29%).

So... I'm not sure.  What do you guys think?  I'm just not quite feeling the Corruptor, and I'm just not sure I'll feel any better about the Defender.  Am I missing an option I'm not seeing?

35 minutes ago, Ultimo said:

So... I'm not sure.  What do you guys think?  I'm just not quite feeling the Corruptor, and I'm just not sure I'll feel any better about the Defender.  Am I missing an option I'm not seeing?

If you feel seismic blast works better than gravity and force field is making you feel to squishy, then maybe a seismic/ electric or energy armor sentinel might be worth a shot.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

First, the reason for the "70 vs. 30" disparity is that the source you're reading is counting Scourge as if it always occurs. The actual disparity is more like "35 vs. 30" before Scourge (which tends to be +0% on minion/lt/boss and +25% on AV/GM).

Second, for Defenders (and Corruptors/Controllers to some extent), a significant portion of the damage normally comes from various procs. Indeed, when building a Defender, it's best to think of attacks in the context of carriers for procs rather than focusing on their inherent damage.

Your endurance woes are a byproduct of the fact that the set you've chosen - Force Field - has no endurance management but considerable endurance consumption. There are ways to solve this, but most of them involve fully slotting the character with the right sets at 50.

What you might consider is something like Seismic/Martial Blaster. You can get away with taking little more than Ki Push (seems very 'Magneto-like' in its animation), Reach for the Limit (no visual effect), Reaction Time (large a passive field around the character) and Inner Will (a self-heal with minimal animation). Reaction Time would deal with your endurance woes.

Edited by Hjarki

A seismic / energy blaster might also work with Magneto. 

Energize from energy manipulation can be paired with the leaping pool (combat jumping, super jump, acrobatics) and power boost to provide decent mez protection against all but sleep. Since Magneto's helmet is quite good at protecting him from mind controlling effects, having mez protection can make sense for a Magneto-like character. Plus, Magneto can apparently heal himself, which energize offers. Finally, Magneto doesn't seem to easily get winded. The endurance discount in energize could reflect that. 

Although for most characters taking at least one of the blaps is a good choice, for a Magneto-like character power thrust might be a good choice instead of the blaps. Stun might also at least somewhat mimic Magneto's ability to interfere with others' ability to normally function. Finally, boost range could make sense for Magneto because he can apparently affect metal from a very long distance away. 

More generally, Magneto seems to be able to do a lot of damage. That may fit with a blaster better than it does with a defender or corruptor, at the end of the day. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney