Water level in base keeps going down

Alright Dacy, I'll try to pop on now and then.  If you've seen the base, know that it was mostly made possible by your vids.

Wavicle, I have almost every Weird Al song memorized.  I can sing that entire song (quite well).

• Microphone 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks a ton Dacy for the tips and tours!  I have a couple plans for some nice improvements the next time I have time to get to it!

Also, I just remembered that one of the mods I installed makes the targeting boxes and name plates larger and more bold.  That's why I could see some of the beacons and such if they weren't buried extra deep.

Edited by Elfis
  • Like 1

To make sure I had not somehow grossly mismanaged the editor and been completely confused about this effect, I did some testing.

I started a new base with a level 1 character and laid it out similar to my original base - largest possible base on the smallest plot, mostly low floor, open to the sky.

placed Fortunata Fateweavers at different heights.  They are 5 feet tall, disappearing under the floor when placed at -5'.  Their target box is about 6 feet tall.

The smooth and rough water fills both with and without sound produced:

-  An opaque blue floor 1 foot above the real floor.

- A water line 5' above the real floor; 4' above the new floor.

- Fateweavers placed from -6' to +1.5' swim.

- A 4' tall PC swims with their head about 1 foot under water while in the editor, but swims with head barely out of the water after exiting the editor.

- A 6' tall PC swims with head half out of the water while in the editor; with pecs almost out of the water while out of the editor.

- (this means PCs swim about 1 1/2' higher while out of the editor than while in it).

The smooth and rough water plates produced:

- A blue coloring at floor height.

- A water line 4' above the floor.

- Fateweavers placed from -7' to +0.5' swim.

- A 4' PC swims with head half out of the water while in the editor; with head barely out of the water while out of the editor.

- A 6' PC swims with head and shoulders above water in the editor; pecs almost out of the water while out of the editor.

- (this means PCs swim about 1/2' higher while out of the editor than in).

The two types of water were 1 foot of height different in all areas except for swimming height relative to the surface while out of the editor.  Inside the editor, PCs swim at the same height in both water types, which puts a short character a foot underwater in the 'fill' type waters.

But this doesn't account for everything I observed before. 

I know I'm not crazy because during the mapserver event, I had players visiting the base during lulls in the action, and I had a couple people comment in surprise that they were swimming underwater.  In my tests, this only happened while in the editor, and at this point, I had never used a 'calm' water surface (which players can swim under).

Also, my tests only showed a difference in water height of 1'.  But I specifically raised NPCs in order to get their heads above water, and later found them not swimming at all.  That would require a water height difference of at least 2'.

Possible causes of the extra water height change and the swimming underwater out of editor:

1:  The Mapserver event and various April Fools weirdness that was going on at the time, and the extra oddities may just be due to that.  (One time during the event, I visited the tailor and was trying to figure out why it wanted to charge me money before I even changed anything, and figured out it was due to the costume corruption that the Mapserver bosses inflict you with).

2:  I changed my plot size and was experimenting with moving the large island rocks around during this time.  I was new to the editor and It could be from some odd manipulation that I don't remember.  Unfortunately, I switched to the largest plot size in my test before I started testing the water. 

• Retired Community Rep
1 hour ago, Elfis said:

An opaque blue floor 1 foot above the real floor.

This means you placed it on the default grid. Changing the grid selection will change the measurements.

(that's not a critique, that's just an fyi for everyone who may not have known that.)

Posted (edited)

I just put it on the floor.  It goes 1 foot higher automatically.  I tried putting it in lots of different places on the bare floor.  I don't know what you mean.

To clarify, all water objects that I placed were placed on a bare floor at minimum height, and I tried placing them all around in different locations.  The horizon fill always placed 1 foot higher than the surface plates.

I guess you're saying that if I changed the grid to 2', the horizon water would place 2' higher and the surface plates would still go on the floor.

Edited by Elfis

Posted (edited)

Actually, that would account for the additional height difference.  If I was messing with things and replaced the horizon water while the grid was 2 or 4 feet, that would create a huge water height difference even replacing it in the same spot.

Nevermind.  I tested different grid sizes and the water fill always appears at the same height I described, so I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Edited by Elfis