Dark Mastery discussion

Snarky

I am building this mostly for theme, but trying to make it work.  Dark Mastery has Fearsome Stare.  long Recharge but a solid Dark performer.  I have never been a fan of Possess.  As a single target confuse on a crowded build it will not start here.  I have tried to like Black Hole, specifically on a Troller.  It rarely is any good, the watered down version in Blaster Dark Mastery is an easy pass.  So that leaves tha armor, which everyone takes, and Soul Consumption.  Which is more or less the main point of the topic.

Soul Consumption.  Hmmm.  Is it any good.  I have over enhanced it in this build, in my opinion.  But I am testing how far I can push it and how useful it is.  Anybody know it, love it, hate it, have insights?

Blaster Dark Dark Dark v2.01.mbd

I am not a fan of Dark Mastery at all.  And just for the reasons you state, plus some.  Possess and Black Hole - just, no.  Fearsome stare, possibly, but as you stated, long recharge and also, it has inherent low ACC and takes extra slots just to get it to normal.  I am all for AOE controls on blasters, but I'd rather devote those extra slots to powers that do damage.  

As for Soul Consumption - there is no need for it.  At least for me.  Most of my builds, I am near or at the HP cap, so the + Max HPs don't do anything for me.  Blasters already have unlimited End with their sustain power, so the +Max End is pointless.  The -regen and -end to foes is so minor, it's not even worth it as a debuff.  Maybe if it did some damage too, it'd be worth something.  If you do take it... don't bother slotting endmods in it... you already have more end than you'll know what to do with and you'll get better usage out of the +Max HPs. Slot it for a little Acc and mostly Heal and Rech.

I get far better usage out of Soul Mastery instead - all 5 powers are useful (3 of which do damage).  Dark Mastery has 1 (the shield) that's useful and maybe Fearsome Stare - and none do damage.  

But if Soul is too far different than Dark for you conceptually, then I clearly understand and say go with it - concept always first, in my book.  🙂  Just swap out your endmod set in it for a heal set.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

I am not a fan of Dark Mastery at all.  And just for the reasons you state, plus some.  Possess and Black Hole - just, no.  Fearsome stare, possibly, but as you stated, long recharge and also, it has inherent low ACC and takes extra slots just to get it to normal.  I am all for AOE controls on blasters, but I'd rather devote those extra slots to powers that do damage.  

As for Soul Consumption - there is no need for it.  At least for me.  Most of my builds, I am near or at the HP cap, so the + Max HPs don't do anything for me.  Blasters already have unlimited End with their sustain power, so the +Max End is pointless.  The -regen and -end to foes is so minor, it's not even worth it as a debuff.  Maybe if it did some damage too, it'd be worth something.  If you do take it... don't bother slotting endmods in it... you already have more end than you'll know what to do with and you'll get better usage out of the +Max HPs. Slot it for a little Acc and mostly Heal and Rech.

I get far better usage out of Soul Mastery instead - all 5 powers are useful (3 of which do damage).  Dark Mastery has 1 (the shield) that's useful and maybe Fearsome Stare - and none do damage.  

But if Soul is too far different than Dark for you conceptually, then I clearly understand and say go with it - concept always first, in my book.  🙂  Just swap out your endmod set in it for a heal set.

yeah.  you are right.  here is what it looks like with soul mastery.  not taking soul tentacles.  because they are white.  why?  no one knows.  but they can keep them.

Blaster Dark Dark Soul v1.51.mbd

In case you overlooked it, the new Dark Mastery epics get Murky Cloud (F/C/E/N), not Dark Embrace (S/L/N/T) that defenders/corruptors get in their Dark Mastery. If you want Dark Embrace, go with Soul Mastery.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Uun said:

In case you overlooked it, the new Dark Mastery epics get Murky Cloud (F/C/E/N), not Dark Embrace (S/L/N/T) that defenders/corruptors get in their Dark Mastery. If you want Dark Embrace, go with Soul Mastery.

I actually want murky cloud, it looks way cooler.  But Soul Mastery is easily the better choice for my playstyle.  It gives me a nice DPS cone that fits my build style better and a solid hold (with the coolest and easiest to see affect). 

I could arguably not take any armor since with just 6% def and a few percent armor in 4 types it is windshield armor.  My next but of research will delve into 1) how useful is it. 2) is there any power I can 1-2 slot and be better off taking?

Edited by Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I actually want murky cloud, it looks way cooler.  But Soul Mastery is easily the better choice for my playstyle.  It gives me a nice DPS cone that fits my build style better and a solid hold (with the coolest and easiest to see affect). 

I could arguably not take any armor since with just 6% def and a few percent armor in 4 types it is windshield armor.  My next but of research will delve into 1) how useful is it. 2) is there any power I can 1-2 slot and be better off taking?

If you care.... here is my Dark/Dark/Soul Blaster....  She's pretty sturdy despite minimal Def and Res - the debuffs and controls really excel!  I took Dark Consumption to use as another PBAOE damage attack, and in case some Sapper drains me.  😄  I also took Rune of Protection for those "Oh Crap" moments, although, those seem few and far between.

We took different powers, obviously, but maybe this will give you ideas for yours.  

Spectral Legion (current) - Blaster (Dark Blast).mbd

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

If you care.... here is my Dark/Dark/Soul Blaster....  She's pretty sturdy despite minimal Def and Res - the debuffs and controls really excel!  I took Dark Consumption to use as another PBAOE damage attack, and in case some Sapper drains me.  😄  I also took Rune of Protection for those "Oh Crap" moments, although, those seem few and far between.

We took different powers, obviously, but maybe this will give you ideas for yours.  

Spectral Legion (current) - Blaster (Dark Blast).mbd 50.88 kB · 0 downloads

That is a way different build than mine!  Thanks.

Yeah, I prefer the double mag 2 stun (total mag 4) and then drive-by PBAoE chain.  Then pop out to range for most of my work.  I also have a ST Hold attack chain for things like Vickeys or other pesky EBs, LGTF, etc. I die surprisingly little considering I love to drift into a large group then hit Soul Drain/Blackstar.  But I know the fights and lean into my inspiration tray.

• Thumbs Up 1