20th Anniversary Q&A - Question Submission Thread

Arcanum

One more question, for the Powers Team:

With time and experience behind you, how would you fix Regeneration now to make it both balanced with other damage mitigation power sets but also stand out from its heir/replacement, Willpower?

• Like 1

To any of the OG Devs:

Were you ever at any point planning to add advanced difficulty or raid tiers to iTrials to spice up old content and keep them relevant with your newer incarnate slot additions?

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

To Anyone, and who's willing to answer or entertain the idea.

I'm a fan of the Super Trolls.

Is there an "event" that is worthy of investment of my time? Such as comparing it to the "Zombie event" in the who cares where zone random occurances?

If not, would it be possible to create one? 

Simply existing, and glowing, and making weird walks or runs is not enough for me. I would like to have more meaning, if you know what I mean.

Also, only occuring 2 or 3 or 4 times in a full day, is not enough.

I can put out a fire in some random burning building more often, which is kinda sad if you think about it.

WHY HAVE THESE GIANT GLOWING TROLLS only to just stand around?

Cause some mayhem! Hell, take 50 of them, climb on top of eachother (one big giant troll piles), and they transform into a GM of a Troll.

Can you at least think about it? Maybe I'm not aware of more things to do with them, or badges, or missions...but they just seem to serve no purpose, and I would love it, if they had more.

Thanks,

• Banjo 1

To the writers, what do you think the ultimate fate of Night Ward would have been? I find that area really interesting (and love the animus arcana + their little society), but with Praetoria essentially destroyed, what would have become of that overlap with the underworld?

Edited by fiend
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

To begin with, like the others, it is worth expressing gratitude to you again, as members of the team, for your work on the game until its official closure in 2012. It's truly impressive that it was resurrected by the skillful hands of the fan community in 2019, showing that your work is still appreciated. Although I am not an American myself, this project deserves its place in the history of the gaming industry. Now, to the questions, shall we?

1. (A question for everyone) What was it like working on a superhero MMO RPG, does it somehow felt different in comparison to other MMO's?

2. (Question for the designers/writers) How did you perceive the wider field of possibilities for the development of the game's plot, compared to other MMOs with stricter genre frameworks (for example, only fantasy or science fiction)?

3. (Question to the designers/writers, will serve as an addition to the question by Fireknight013) Among the various ideas, has the introduction of extraterrestrial AI/machine species into the plot in any form been considered?

4. (Questions for Melissa "War Witch" Bianco and Hosun "Black Pebble" Lee) Did the studio (at one time) considered other regions of the world where the game could be officially launched in addition to European servers? Or could this have been considered when creating a hypothetical CoH2, if it had been given the green light? Or was it limited by the publisher's capabilities and/or lack of desire?

5. (A question for designers/writers, maybe for others) In popular culture, it often happens that characters who were previously dead were resurrected in one way or another, in the case of the City of Heroes, would the deceased characters remained dead, as planned? What is your personal opinion about resurrections? 

6. (A question primarily to programmers) When working on the game, did you ever think that its engine needed serious modification?

7. (A question for those who worked at Cryptic Studios) In the mid-2000s, the studio was developing a cancelled MMO RPG based on Marvel universe in collaboration with Microsoft. Could you tell us a little bit, if possible, what it was like?

8. (Question for JLove) Is there anything to say about your work and your colleagues when working on the appearance of the game, about the organization of your work, how much you had to draw, which of your suggestions were taken into account and which were rejected, and from what you got inspiration?

9. (Question to Christopher "Back Alley Brawler" Bruce and Keetsie "Tunnel Rat" Braz da CunhaWhat is your overall assessment of the work on the visual effects of the game? What would you liked to improve to make the visual effects more interesting?

10. (Final question) Are you all still in contact with each other? 

Edited by SoulGuardian55
  • Like 3

To Whom It May Concern:

Can you say in particular where the idea for Nemesis came from?

It's one thing to say, 'okay, let's have a steampunk enemy-group, that's fun, people like that' -

but it's quite another to choose to make the central figure of that enemy-group not just one

of the Biggest and most effective Bads in the game, but one of, if not the, single most pivotal

and lasting characters in your universe!

____

On a tangentially-related note, whose idea was Bad Penny?

• Like 3

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

What are your wants/hopes for the game in the future? A remaster? A sequel? Touch nothing you fools, this is a perfect game?

Also, teenage me would love to thank you for helping me to get through some weird, stressful, sometimes pretty tough times. City of Heroes was always home for me, and now I'm giddy I get a whole HOMECOMING just for me all these years later. Truly, thank you guys for the work you did!

Bonus question if I'm allowed: Do you guys ever dream of getting the band back together in your free time -- whether just to hang out or to produce another elite level video game?

Edited by Megalomaniac727
  • Like 1

Found out while reading on the game's history that NC Soft is that same Korean publisher that has been notorious with all of their games (i.e. Lineage series). I was too young to understand what was going on when the game was briefly in service on Korean servers only to disappear shortly after.

I would love to hear some behind the scene stuff working with the likes of them which are considered like EA and Konami level of incompetency today.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

If it was ever considered, WHY and HOW would any humans join Nemesis? What did they gain from becoming fashion-gimped band camp rejects?

I'm sorry that this is a serious question, but everyone else in the game has motivations and the human troops or followers of Nemesis never seemed to have a point or benefit.

• Like 2

Back on Live I remember you all having much more of a presence in the game, more-so than your typical MMO Developers would. Doing things such as showing up to Costume Contests, popping up in Supergroup Bases and giving everyone special titles, (Looking at you Manticore, I still remember! ;D) and even that one time a Villain ended up in Atlas pre- Going Rogue, and Ghost Widow made a big scene about "dragging the traitor" back to the Rogue Isles. This participation gave the game so much personality, and is a big thing that made me fall in love with City of Heroes when I was younger.

Was there any particular reason you decided to take this approach? Or was it more something that played out unconsciously?

• Like 4
  • Microphone 1

What would have been the other incarnate levels? What can you tell us about Bastion? Were there any hints in the lore that they already had an agent on Earth?

• Like 1