Equalize Blaster Damage Buffs From AOE's

Posted (edited)

AOE's like ball lightning only give one stack of bonus damage, where as fireball and the rad AOE's give a damage boost per mob hit, where in fireball's case, each buff is the same as the one buff from ball lightning, making some sets much more powerful. 

I suggest either making ALL non nuke AOE's either give one buff, or per enemy hit.

Edited by jjolin01

Sounds like it would be dynamic or a really low number per target hit.  a tier1 attack is what, 12-15%? fireball would probably be 1% per target hit

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jjolin01 said:

AOE's like ball lightning only give one stack of bonus damage, where as fireball and the rad AOE's give a damage boost per mob hit, where in fireball's case, each buff is the same as the one buff from ball lightning, making some sets much more powerful. 

I suggest either making ALL non nuke AOE's either give one buff, or per enemy hit.

Absolutely incorrect. The damage buff from Defiance uses exactly the same formula for all blaster powers and has nothing to do with the number of mobs hit. The buff varies based on activation time and size of the AoE. 

[MagExpr]% Damage (All) Strength (self only) for [DurExpr]

Duration Expression: power.base>activatetime + 7.5
  Magnitude Expression: 0.066 * power.base>activatetime / power.base>areafactor

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Defiance

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Uun said:

Absolutely incorrect. The damage buff from Defiance uses exactly the same formula for all blaster powers and has nothing to do with the number of mobs hit. The buff varies based on activation time and size of the AoE. 

[MagExpr]% Damage (All) Strength (self only) for [DurExpr]

Duration Expression: power.base>activatetime + 7.5
  Magnitude Expression: 0.066 * power.base>activatetime / power.base>areafactor

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Defiance

Then the game is showing the icons and the numbers in the stat windows wrong.

a single Fireball versus a single Ball Lightning in a farm, with a bunch of insights popped, hitting a group of mobs.

Fireball.png

lightning.png

Edited by jjolin01

6 minutes ago, jjolin01 said:

Fireball VS Ball Lightning in a farm, with a bunch of insights popped, hitting a group of mobs.

If you're getting that from a single application of Fire Ball, then that's a bug. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Uun said:

If you're getting that from a single application of Fire Ball, then that's a bug. 

I am, and rad is the same way, but with lower numbers.

Edited by jjolin01

It's interesting that your Fireball screenshot shows so many damage buffs from Fireball, but your total Damage bonus is still 0%, unlike for Ball Lightning. Not sure what's going on there.

Anyway, the only difference I can see between the three sets you listed are that all Elec Blast defiance buffs are listed as "Activation" effects and are separate from the rest of the attack effects, while all Fire Blast and Rad Blast defiance buffs are listed as "Standard" effects and are grouped with the rest of the attack effects. I'm wondering if that means that Elec attacks will give their Defiance buff regardless of it the attack hits or not, while Fire and Rad will only give buffs if they actually hit?

Some testing may need to be done to confirm that, and also if all the blast sets behave in the same way as the examples above.

Sets that have Defiance buffs as an Activation effect:

Assault Rifle

Beam Rifle

Dark Blast

Elec Blast

Ice Blast

Psychic Blast

Seismic Blast

Sonic Attack

Storm Blast

Water Blast

Sets that have Defiance buffs as a Standard effect:

Archery (which also appears to not use a formula at all, all the buff values are hard-coded)

Dual Pistols

Energy Blast

Fire Blast

Rad Blast

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

I don't have a Fire or Rad blaster, but I tested with Dark, DP, Ice and Water, as well as Tactical Arrow and Temporal. I only got one buff per attack on all AoEs and cones. This was in PI and RWZ, not AE. Perhaps someone else with a Fire or Rad blaster could test?

47 minutes ago, Uun said:

I don't have a Fire or Rad blaster, but I tested with Dark, DP, Ice and Water, as well as Tactical Arrow and Temporal. I only got one buff per attack on all AoEs and cones. This was in PI and RWZ, not AE. Perhaps someone else with a Fire or Rad blaster could test?

Went back and checked again cause you said you tested DP and it worked as expected.

Of the sets that have Defiance as a Standard effect, Archery and DP have the flags to prevent stacking Defiance buffs on their AoEs.

The other three, Energy, Fire and Rad Blast all do not have that flag on their AoEs. So I'm gonna theorize those are the only three sets that may have the behavior the OP is experiencing. Of course, I also have no blasters with any of those primaries to check lol.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚