Trickshooter's Telepathy Powerset Suggestion!

Why Telepathy? My favorite era of the X-Men comics has always been the Claremont era leading up to Fall of the Mutants and then the stories in the Australian outback. And my favorite character during that era was Psylocke.

Now, most of you know Psylocke as a purple haired ninja with a psychic knife, the focused totality of her yadda yadda yadda. The obvious inspiration for the Psionic Melee powerset, right? But during the early days of Psylocke with the X-Men, she was actually a purple haired British woman whose main value to the team was the support she offered via her telepathy and her main form of defense was psychic deception and her thought-disrupting mind blasts.

This version of telepathy has always been my favorite portrayal of the power and was the inspiration for this suggestion. This set is designed as a buff/debuff set for Defenders/Controllers/Corruptors/Masterminds, but all values are for Defenders because I was lazy.

Telepathy
Use telepathic might to fortify the minds of your allies and mislead the thoughts of your foes. Telepathy features a mix of buffs and debuffs to assist your team, specializing in providing protection from Psionic damage and slowing the attack rate of foes.

Assail.png.f77fb7cb7d05a7c204c47d9812fe5eac.png Mind Blast
Blast a foe with a psionic bolt that weakens them physically, lowering their damage potential, slowing their attack rate, and increasing the endurance cost of their attacks.

Click Single-Target Foe: -Damage(All), -Recharge, -EnduranceDiscount

-31.25% Damage(All)
-62.5% Recharge
-50% EnduranceDiscount

Recharge: 16s
Duration: 30s
Animation: 1.0s (Subdue)
Endurance: 8.528

RestorePsyche.png.6096dc3aec094987cd0c590775ca8f59.png Restore Psyche
Telepathically heal the mind of an ally, recovering a significant amount of their hitpoints. An ally healed by Restore Psyche will also be less likely to be hit by Psionic attacks. You cannot use this power on yourself.

Click Single-Target Ally: Heal, +Defense(Psionic)

1.96 Heal
+10% Defense(Psionic)

Recharge: 4s
Duration: 60s
Animation: 1.97s (Psychic Wail)
Endurance: 13

PsychicStatic.png.63f5bb5d98128e83f50cd1b028c8e1a4.png Psychic Static
Target an enemy and fill their mind, and the minds of nearby foes, with Psychic Static that will lower their ability to concentrate. Foes affected by Psychic Static will have reduced chances to hit and slowed recharge rates.

Toggle Targeted AoE Foe: -ToHit, -Recharge

-18.75% ToHit
-62.5% Recharge

Recharge: 8s
Duration: 0.75s
Animation: 3.1s (Tar Patch)
Endurance: 0.52/s

RevealWeakness.png.4ae6f813a0c6bd0af9e8bb9620078d84.png Probe Thoughts
Probe a foe's mind for their weaknesses and share that info telepathically with your allies, effectively lowering your target’s defense and resistance. You can also gain insight in to their buffs and debuffs via your Combat Attributes menu.

Click Single-Target Foe: -Defense(All), -Resistance(All), +ViewAttributes

-25% Defense(All)
-30% Resistance(All)

Recharge: 16s
Duration: 20s
Animation: 1.67s (Mental Blast)
Endurance: 10.4

FortifyWill.png.054e77c45be0d7816f41e02573e715e6.png Psi-Shielding
Shield an ally's mind against control effects. Psi-Shielding grants a single ally moderate protection from Hold, Sleep, Stun and Immobilize effects. Their perception will also be increased, as well as their resistance to Psionic damage. You cannot use this power on yourself.

Click Single-Target Ally: +Resistance(Psionic, Hold, Sleep, Stun, Immobilize), +Perception

+10% Resist(Psionic)
-12.975 Mez Protection (at 50)
+Perception

Recharge: 4s
Animation: 1.1s (Will Domination)
Endurance: 5.2

DisguisePresence.png.76e43a3dff0e5baa72ffce6d04b06b91.png Conceal Presence
Telepathically hide your and your allies presence from nearby foes, effectively granting Stealth. Disguise Presence will also provide a small amount of defense to all damage and resistance to psionic damage, as well as Fear and Confuse effects.

Toggle PBAoE Ally/Self: +Stealth, +Defense(All), +Resistance(Psionic, Terrorize, Confuse)

+Stealth
+5% Defense(All)
+20% Resistance(Psionic)
-8.65 Mez Protection (at 50)

Recharge: 15s
Duration: 0.75s
Animation: 2.03s (Mass Hypnosis)
Endurance: 0.52/s

HypnoticGaze.png.21014f00023f0b5d2d10211093b6b35e.png Hypnotize
Hypnotize foes in a cone area in front of you. Hypnotized foes will have reduced speed, attack rate and be easier to hit. Weaker-willed enemies may fall asleep but will awaken if hit with damage.

Click Cone Foe: Sleep (Mag2), -Recharge, -Speed, -Defense(All)

Base 15s Sleep (Mag 2)
-31.25% Recharge
-62.5% Speed
-18.75% Defense(All)

Recharge: 60s
Duration: 30s
Animation: 2.03s (Fearsome Stare)
Endurance: 8.528

SiphonPsyche.png.b57dfc73fc536b07dc2e13a852101efc.png Siphon Psyche
Siphon psionic energy from foes surrounding you and telepathically distribute it amongst your allies. Foes hit by Siphon Psyche will have significantly reduced damage potential and regeneration rates, while you and your allies will receive a buff to yours.

Click PBAoE Foe: -Damage(All), -Regeneration, Team: +Damage(All), +Regeneration

-25% Damage(All)
-250% Regeneration
+25% Damage(All) (Does not stack)
+2.5% Damage(All) per foe
+100% Regeneration (Does not stack, Unenhanceable)
+10% Regeneration per foe

Recharge: 160s
Duration: 45s
Animation: 2.5s (Short Circuit)
Endurance: 13

HiveMind.png.211897b22cdc1a3ec415e76f199ea5ea.png Coordinate Thoughts
Telepathically link the minds of you and your teammates, sharing strategic knowledge instantly and improving combat capabilities. Coordinate Thoughts will greatly buff your team's Defense to all damage and ToHit chance for each teammate in range, as well as significantly reduce the endurance costs for all powers for a short while.

Click PBAoE Team: +Defense(All), +ToHit, +EnduranceDiscount

+12.5% Defense(All) (Does not stack)
+1.25% Defense(All) per teammate
+12.5% ToHit (Does not stack)
+1.25% ToHit per teammate
+74.5% EnduranceDiscount (Does not stack)

Recharge: 360s
Animation: 3.67s (Mind Link)
Endurance: 26

Edited by Trickshooter
  • Like 6

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Wow, that took a while for me to puzzle out. I was trying to figure out what the proposed power set had to do with trick shooting....

I don't know the numbers part, but the set does look interesting. I disagree with @honoroit about the sleep mag though. Since Hypnotize reduces targets' recharge, movement speed, and defense all at the same time, I think the sleep effect is a bit strong. I would either drop the -DEF if the Sleep magnitude is increased, or just drop the sleep component altogether. The devs would have a better understanding of balance though.

14 hours ago, honoroit said:

this looks great, id play it!

'hypnotize' should be mag 3 or 4 sleep, imo.

Thanks! The idea with Hypnotize is it is mostly a debuff, the mag 2 sleep is just a bonus against minions.

13 hours ago, Rudra said:

Wow, that took a while for me to puzzle out. I was trying to figure out what the proposed power set had to do with trick shooting....

Sorry 😅

16 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

At first glance the numbers seem pretty high especially the debuffs and endurance discount. Also would have some serious effects in PvP as well.

Numbers-wise, I feel it falls in line pretty well amongst the modern sets like Time, Electric Affinity and Nature, and even some older sets like Dark and Rad.

As far as the EndDiscount debuff, in PvP I would probably replace it with an end drain or recovery debuff effect. I wouldn’t want to open that can of worms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Thoughtfully done. Love the inspiration and the spread of effects (and slotting options). Hopefully this makes it to a to-do list.

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, Trickshooter said:

Restore Psyche

On 6/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, Trickshooter said:

Siphon Psyche

Manticore (Character) - Comic Vine

The Edgehog is not amused. 😉

(Setwise.... I'd play it.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.