The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Elec/Elec First-Time Build

speeed4ce

Posted (edited)

I am pretty new to the game, and know almost nothing about what end-game builds should look like in regards to baselines and target numbers. I know elec/elec isn't probably very optimal, but I like it, thematically. I mean, I'm not even 50 yet, but I'm trying to have a plan set for when I hit the cap.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or critiques of the build that might get me on the right path? My only real guiding principle was trying to get bonuses to overall damage, useful procs, useful unique bonuses, and make sure that everything had an accuracy over 100% against a +4 enemy. I also tried to have an emphasis on recovery for sustain and cooldown reduction so I could get my build-ups/lightning rod/thunder strikes as often as I could. Is this on the right track or am I way off? Any pointers would be super welcome.

Edited by speeed4ce

15 hours ago, speeed4ce said:

I am pretty new to the game, and know almost nothing about what end-game builds should look like in regards to baselines and target numbers. I know elec/elec isn't probably very optimal, but I like it, thematically. I mean, I'm not even 50 yet, but I'm trying to have a plan set for when I hit the cap.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or critiques of the build that might get me on the right path? My only real guiding principle was trying to get bonuses to overall damage, useful procs, useful unique bonuses, and make sure that everything had an accuracy over 100% against a +4 enemy. I also tried to have an emphasis on recovery for sustain and cooldown reduction so I could get my build-ups/lightning rod/thunder strikes as often as I could. Is this on the right track or am I way off? Any pointers would be super welcome.

Professor Tachyon (Electrical Melee - Electric Armor).mbd 41.47 kB · 5 downloads

I haven't checked mine in a couple of years and lost my builds but maybe you'd be better off with something like this, with slow resistance and running a t4 barrier at later levels. Maybe.

ELEC ELEC - Scrapper (Electrical Melee - Electric Armor).mbd

I don't use MIDS, so I don't know if this applies or not to the build: I kinda hate Thunderstrike as an attack, except on Tankers. I like it more on Tankers because of their increased AoE... I tried to make it work on a Dominator, and it was (on that character) essentially a mediocre ST attack with a very low chance of actually adding any damage to any other critter that was not the original target.

It comes early enough as a power pick that a Scrapper ought to be able to test in out through regular leveling, so don't take my word that it may be a skippable power.

15 hours ago, speeed4ce said:

My only real guiding principle was trying to get bonuses to overall damage, useful procs, useful unique bonuses, and make sure that everything had an accuracy over 100% against a +4 enemy. I also tried to have an emphasis on recovery for sustain and cooldown reduction so I could get my build-ups/lightning rod/thunder strikes as often as I could.

Lightning Clap is an interesting power. I feel that it needs a KB->KD piece in it for the melee types, but beyond that you have options. I like to have it 5-slotted with Absolute Amazement, but you could do some minimal franken-slotting to leverage an Explosive Strike %Smashing piece to get some damage from it. I tend to not add Forced Feedback %+Recharge procs, but many people swear by them.

Here's my Elec/Elec/Soul, so you can make changes as seen fit.  The thing to look at imo, is my resists are better 75% S/L/E, almost 66% F/C (with the Reactive Proc, that will get to 73% with enough damage), the other resists are better too, and it also has 100% Slow Resist.

I wouldn't have slotted a lot of the ways you did.  Stamina = Performance Shifter: +End Proc, Power Transfer: End Mod & +Heal Proc.  I'd likely slot Physical Perfection the same way.  So that's just 3 slots each.

Combat Jumping: LotG: +RCH, both +Resist IOs and a Kismet.

I don't know why you're taking Flurry.  Build Up would just be +Build Up Proc.

6 slot Lightning Field with Superior Scrapper's Strike.  You want to move the Critical Strikes +50% Crit Chance Proc to an actual attack (I have forgotten which attack is best suited for it, I don't believe it was Charged Brawl, but I did that for some reason outside of being the best, and I don't recall why at this moment)

There's just some quick observation on the build at this moment

Scrapper (Electrical Melee - Electric Armor).mbd

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, BrandX said:

I don't know why you're taking Flurry.  Build Up would just be +Build Up Proc.

I know flurry is likely super sub-optimal, however, there are certain concessions as a big, dumb fan of speedsters that I have to make with my build where I have to have flurry and maximum run-speed.

On 6/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, BrandX said:

Here's my Elec/Elec/Soul, so you can make changes as seen fit.  The thing to look at imo, is my resists are better 75% S/L/E, almost 66% F/C (with the Reactive Proc, that will get to 73% with enough damage), the other resists are better too, and it also has 100% Slow Resist.

I wouldn't have slotted a lot of the ways you did.  Stamina = Performance Shifter: +End Proc, Power Transfer: End Mod & +Heal Proc.  I'd likely slot Physical Perfection the same

I appreciate the sample to look at. I definitely switched my slots up for physical perfection and stamina. I didn't really think of physical perfection essentially being stamina 2.0. And I definitely got my S/L/E to 75, cold/fire I am still brainstorming with, but I've got them sitting at 50 with some change. Would you consider fire/cold to be necessary to get as high as possible, or is 50% a passable number? I mostly slotted it like that because I was trying to get damage bonuses, because I'm not familiar with what end-game content really needs, and since scrapper is a DPS class, I figure I wanted to do more damage. Though, from the sounds of things, it looks like CoH at end-game tends to be very BYOS (bring your own survivability)?

On 6/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, tidge said:

I don't use MIDS, so I don't know if this applies or not to the build: I kinda hate Thunderstrike as an attack, except on Tankers.

See, I love using Thunderstrike, if only because it feels satisfying to use. Which, honestly, impacts a lot of my play and build decisions around Thunder Strike and Lightning Rod.

Edited by speeed4ce

8 minutes ago, speeed4ce said:

See, I love using Thunderstrike, if only because it feels satisfying to use. Which, honestly, impacts a lot of my play and build decisions around Thunder Strike and Lightning Rod.

I find Lightning Rod to be fun, but I felt a distinct lack of "whelm" with Thunderstrike. Much like Water Jet from the Water Blast set, it looks cool (to me) but each felt like they were disrupting not just my attack chains but also my build goals. It was easier to criticize Water Jet before it had its undeniable flaw corrected (it used to cost Tidal, even if it missed) yet I still find it to be a bad choice. In the case of Thunderstrike, it is IMO the inner/outer radius effect that is needlessly confusing (misleading?) its damage potential... except for Tankers, who get the improved radii.

4 hours ago, speeed4ce said:

I know flurry is likely super sub-optimal, however, there are certain concessions as a big, dumb fan of speedsters that I have to make with my build where I have to have flurry and maximum run-speed.

I appreciate the sample to look at. I definitely switched my slots up for physical perfection and stamina. I didn't really think of physical perfection essentially being stamina 2.0. And I definitely got my S/L/E to 75, cold/fire I am still brainstorming with, but I've got them sitting at 50 with some change. Would you consider fire/cold to be necessary to get as high as possible, or is 50% a passable number? I mostly slotted it like that because I was trying to get damage bonuses, because I'm not familiar with what end-game content really needs, and since scrapper is a DPS class, I figure I wanted to do more damage. Though, from the sounds of things, it looks like CoH at end-game tends to be very BYOS (bring your own survivability)?

50 Resist on F/C is likely to be fine, however with Electric being a resist based set, getting those resists up as high as possible is always a good thing if you can.   I wouldn't worry about chasing the +DMG bonuses and work on Recovery and survival.

I wouldn't say it's so much that BYOS, but more that, you don't always team with people who can help your survival.

I like using Thunderstrike too. 🙂

Ele/Ele is my only 50 Scrapper and he's total fun. His run speed is only slightly slower than unbuffed super speed with Athletic Run going. I went into the Teleport pool for travel and for fun. I cannot post my build right now...power outage but I know 6 of the 8 resists are over 70% and my melee Def and S/L Def is at 45%. I went Ageless Core just for the recharge and to give teammates more End coverage but he has no endurance issues at all and cannot be sapped nor slowed. With quick casts and quick recharge there's always a button to mash be it an AOE or ST. The only down side and it's a big-ish one is there is no taunt aura. At first I wasn't bothered about it but it's gotten annoying. But on a team with a Brute or Tanker all is well. Also macro Lightning Rod to cast on taget. And I do like Thunderstrike.

Actually power just came back up...I'll post this then edit to add my build.

I will admit my slotting of Chain Induction is questionable but...

EB - Scrapper (Electrical Melee - Electric Armor)-AgelessCore-FoldSpace.mbd

Edited by WuTang

On 6/8/2024 at 12:36 PM, speeed4ce said:

6 slot Energize with Preventive Medicine, you want it at perma - that means it's basically always up. It's a HUGE endurance discount and a heal. You won't need to have so much invested in Stamina when you attain this. I with ya on making concessions for thematic reasons and any power can be slotted to either perform well or help you in other areas.