Server cost...

Libertyguard

Ok i just read in a thread from gm jimmy...the cost of the servers is like $4700 a month!!! if no donations...or anything HOW is this being tended to O_o i mean...we can expect the gm's to pay this outta there pocket..that would be obscene!...if we cant donate...or even pay how will you guys support this?

Unless your millionaires or something...

just a question of mine.

Depends on the hardware level you're looking at and how long you intend to keep it going.  Top of the line 4p Xeon system with 96 physical cores would cost close to $50K to get on line.  I'm seriously looking to see what I would have to do to get a "just barely good enough" server up and running, though, just so I can have the most stable connection ever!

Not everyone has $50K laying around.  Renting also means that upgrades are effectively "free" and you don't worry about maintenance costs.  A server of that level is also safely pulling 800wH under load which at the moment is staying almost 24/7 that isn't counted in the purchase price.

And I assume you must live in Manhattan or downtown San Francisco if you think that's a years rend.  That's 5.5 years of my mortgage!

Not everyone has $50K laying around.  Renting also means that upgrades are effectively "free" and you don't worry about maintenance costs.  A server of that level is also safely pulling 800wH under load which at the moment is staying almost 24/7 that isn't counted in the purchase price.

And I assume you must live in Manhattan or downtown San Francisco if you think that's a years rend.  That's 5.5 years of my mortgage!

He meant rent of the server.  4700 * 11 = 51700

He meant rent of the server.  4700 * 11 = 51700

I think my day job just showed...

Depends on the hardware level you're looking at and how long you intend to keep it going.  Top of the line 4p Xeon system with 96 physical cores would cost close to $50K to get on line.  I'm seriously looking to see what I would have to do to get a "just barely good enough" server up and running, though, just so I can have the most stable connection ever!

Check around for auctions in your area, you can find racks with blades or cheapish. Even if you only want one blade go to the auction and talk to who buys it. Might be able to get just one cheap.

Also hit craigslistt and see what folks are moving, I know several people all over the us that bought out the old servers from their jobs and then refurbed and sold then on craigslist (though of course be wary of scams, no product in your hand no money in theirs)

Ok i just read in a thread from gm jimmy...the cost of the servers is like $4700 a month!!! if no donations...or anything HOW is this being tended to O_o i mean...we can expect the gm's to pay this outta there pocket..that would be obscene!...if we cant donate...or even pay how will you guys support this?

Unless your millionaires or something...

just a question of mine.

Stop worrying about the cost.  When the folk currently financing the effort ask for help they will get it in whatever form.  I believe personal gifting is the way forward but we will see what happens in the future.  For now, just enjoy the game