Jump to content

Stars Reach


Recommended Posts

  • Pre-Alpha animation looks like it is in a similar style to WildSTAR.  Nice.   
  • Top Man was key on both Ultima Online and SWG.  Definitely one to watch. 
  • The lore given on the website's video sounds like a cross between Star Trek and WildSTAR (significant portions of the galaxy terraformed by an ancient race whose tech is hidden throughout the worlds)
  • Functionally, having game-world consequences for not tending to details in the nearby area sounds like a descendant of concepts from the never-brought-to-market Everquest Next.  As do other details like alterable terrain (voxel destructability perhaps?), though in Everquest Next pre-alpha it was temporary, and here he states it is permanent.  I wonder if he means within the boundaries of player "owned" territory, like a base.  I'd find it bizarre if players tried to permanently strip-mine a planet leaving nothing but core.
  • I'm wondering what the basis is for that floating character movement in the video.  It doesn't look like low gravity, at least in a pre-alpha form.  Maybe jetpacks that have not had the graphics constructed yet?

 

Small complaint:  why does it feel like every sci-fantasy/space concept must come with it's own spearhead-tailed, horned devil?  IMHO it shows a serious lack of character creativity.  I'd not be surprised to find out their lug has cloven hooves as well.   Separately, each of these elements is fine, but collectively, it is neither catchy nor clever.

 

EDIT:  Forgot to add that I hope this space fantasy doesn't have magic, or at least disguises it as something like "cosmic power".  If I'm sitting down to play a space game, I'm not looking for space Gandalf to show up.  There's plenty of (probably way too much of) magic games out there already. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Techwright
Added comment
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been following this for four years now (it's true), and I'm very excited.  Stars Reach is a mix of Star Wars Galaxies, No Man's Sky, and what would have been EverQuest Next.

 

They have two active and growing Discord servers, and I may or may not be building an unofficial web forum for the game as I type.

 

 

2 minutes ago, Techwright said:
  • Pre-Alpha animation looks like it is in a similar style to WildSTAR.  Nice.   
  • Top Man was key on both Ultima Online and SWG.  Definitely one to watch. 
  • The lore given on the website's video sounds like a cross between Star Trek and WildSTAR (significant portions of the galaxy terraformed by an ancient race whose tech is hidden throughout the worlds)
  • Functionally, having game-world consequences for not tending to details in the nearby area sounds like a descendant of concepts from the never-brought-to-market Everquest Next.  As do other details like alterable terrain (voxel destructability perhaps?), though in Everquest Next pre-alpha it was temporary, and here he states it is permanent.  I wonder if he means within the boundaries of player "owned" territory, like a base.  I'd find it bizarre if players tried to permanently strip-mine a planet leaving nothing but core.
  • I'm wondering what the basis is for that floating character movement in the video.  It doesn't look like low gravity, at least in a pre-alpha form.  Maybe jetpacks that have not had the graphics constructed yet?

 

Small complaint:  why does it feel like every sci-fantasy/space concept must come with it's own spearhead-tailed, horned devil?  IMHO it shows a serious lack of character creativity.  I'd not be surprised to find out their lug has cloven hooves as well.   Separately, each of these elements is fine, but collectively, it is neither catchy nor clever.

 

 

 

Raph Koster was a top man on EverQuest II as well.

 

Yep, EverQuest Next is a definite influence.  So much so that the lead developer of EverQuest Next (Dave Georgeson), is one of the developers on Stars Reach. :)

 

Characters will be able to fly on planets with some type of technology (not yet stated), and be able to freely fly in outer space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Yep, EverQuest Next is a definite influence.  So much so that the lead developer of EverQuest Next (Dave Georgeson), is one of the developers on Stars Reach. 🙂

 

 

 

That is really heartening to hear.  Dave Georgeson's announcement speech a decade ago had me very, very excited, and I was terribly sad when EverQuest Next and crew were canned unexpectedly.    I've seen bits and pieces of what look like EQN design pop up in other things since then, and I've wondered if some of the crew moved to those games. 

 

Very interested now to see what happens with this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Techwright said:

 

That is really heartening to hear.  Dave Georgeson's announcement speech a decade ago had me very, very excited, and I was terribly sad when EverQuest Next and crew were canned unexpectedly.    I've seen bits and pieces of what look like EQN design pop up in other things since then, and I've wondered if some of the crew moved to those games. 

 

Very interested now to see what happens with this one.

 

I strongly dislike the medieval fantasy genre.  I just find it dull and boring.  I know, I'm an outlier. :P  But what SOE/Daybreak Games had planned for EverQuest Next as a sandbox captured my interest, and I was actually going to play it if it ever released.

 

It took another ten years, but now we may see quite a bit of that in a science-fantasy MMORPG but on steroids, which is a win-win for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lunar Ronin said:

 

I strongly dislike the medieval fantasy genre.  I just find it dull and boring.  I know, I'm an outlier. 😛 But what SOE/Daybreak Games had planned for EverQuest Next as a sandbox captured my interest, and I was actually going to play it if it ever released.

 

It took another ten years, but now we may see quite a bit of that in a science-fantasy MMORPG but on steroids, which is a win-win for me.

I'm much the same way on all points.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm liking the lore section. Especially the idea that the benevolent (maaaybbbeeeee....) Servitors have allowed/assisted the various races to escape their homeworlds.

The Cornucopia = The Flood (with daddy issues). And we've got demon-humans, catgirl-humans, and Beholders. 

 

16 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Pre-Alpha animation looks like it is in a similar style to WildSTAR.  Nice. 

 

liked WildStar, or at least as far as I got into it in Beta - as far as I remember, it ran pretty smoothly, looked good, but the learning curve turned into a bit of a sheer wall quite early on. StarReach gives me slight Starfox: The MMO vibes, which would not be a bad thing in the slightest.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2024 at 11:26 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

liked WildStar

 

Likewise.  I actually played it for several months.  Ironically, I predicted the lore about 8 years before WildSTAR was released, and certainly before I knew about it.  I was playing WoW and CoH back then, and a friend asked what I'd like to see in an MMO for the future.  What I described was a sci-fi/sci-fantasy concept pretty similar to WildSTAR, though without magic, without the cheeky attitude the game was known for, and with a few extra details they didn't have.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...