The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Stranger Things: uosɐǝS lɐuᴉℲ

S5 is now halfway through filming. There's not many clues as to what's going on, but there'll be new characters, more about what the Upside Down is, and a very, very final ending. Oh, and someone gets paid to smear fake blood on ropes. Dont'cha just love making movies?

Given how good S1 and S2 were - S3 stumbled a bit, but S4 pulled it back towards the end - hoping they stick the landing.

Or at least mess up enough to be entertaining...

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I like either a 3 year or 5 year story arc on television series.  Enough time to give us a great story with well developed characters, but not so long that it becomes a hackneyed slog.

Babylon 5, possibly my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time, was a planned, 5-year story arc that is one of the most satisfying stories I've ever enjoyed.  So I know it can be done, if the writers are on their game.

It's one of the gripes I have with the various Disney series (both Marvel and Star Wars).  The seasons run very short numbers of episodes and then only go for a couple of those seasons (if we're lucky).  But it's very hard for actors to really get grounded in the characters they're playing and for the story to grow and develop in such short amounts of time.  Most of my favorite series (Babylon 5, the various Star Treks, etc.) were not great in Season 1 (or, at least, early on in the 1st season), for just that reason, but by season 2 (or end of season 1) were really hitting their stride.  You have to give a reasonable amount of time for the actors to get immersed in their roles and the plot(s) to gain some traction.

I haven't watched this series since Season 2 - but it's because I liked it and wanted to consume it entirely from premier to finale because I'm terrible with remembering world building details and would have to rewatch anyways to remind myself what happened. 

I understand why they skipped years, but it seems like they are just making each season longer and longer as part of a way to make up for it. An actress on the show said each episode of the final season is 2 hours long. The show hits far more often than it misses, but I think its asking a lot to do two season's worth of content into one. More so when the primary complaint from last season was how long the episodes were. I know I will do a rewatch at some point. I just don't know if it will be post the final season or not. 

I don't think the D+ shows are really intended to be normal series. They are there to introduce a character and not much else. A number of series could honestly be shorter. It wouldn't be the worst idea to just a D+ movie versus a theatrical one. 

• Microphone 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

I don't think the D+ shows are really intended to be normal series. They are there to introduce a character and not much else. A number of series could honestly be shorter. It wouldn't be the worst idea to just a D+ movie versus a theatrical one.

I guess the closest analog to what we're getting now, is sort of the old TV mini-series, from the 80's and 90's.  These were always difficult to pull off well, and I seem to recall most of those being more bad than good (though I suppose one could argue that about many classic TV shows that got cancelled, as well).