Watchmen: Chapter 1 (Animated)

So, after Zack Snyder's adap mishap, and the rather better sequel TV series, Watchmen gets a full adap in the 2-and-a-bit-D style familiar to What If? fans.

It's direct to rental, so I'm unlikely to be catching this one. 

And to be honest, I'm with the grumpy old wizard on this one: the book's structure was made to do things in a way a straight narrative flick can't. Though if some new fans show up, that's cool.

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

From what the creator has said, DC maintains the rights as long as something watchman comes out every few years.   

So there will always be another one of whatever quality in comics film or TV around the bend.

Posted (edited)

There's a lot it gets right (Bad News Bear Jackie Earl Haley's bravura turn as Rorschach, JD Morgan characteristically charismatically crazy as the Comedian, Doc's transformation sequence, Archie, the prison fight).

But - IMHO - it doesn't either catch the full spirit of the books or hang together as a complete movie. And that ending is something nerds will be warring over for decades. I understand why the change was made but it... just... still... clunks. Put together with the sequel series, the ending does work better with...

Spoiler

...Veidt being exiled to a paradoxical paradise off-planet prison by Doc as punishment.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.