New Computer - Can No Longer Take Screenshots

Hi there,

I purchased a new computer this past weekend, and since then I have not been able to take a screenshot on City of Heroes. Is there something I need to do or enable in order for the Print Screen button on my keyboard to once again save screen shots? I am using Windows 11 on a PC.

Edited by Acroyear

3 hours ago, Acroyear said:

Hi there,

I purchased a new computer this past weekend, and since then I have not been able to take a screenshot on City of Heroes. Is there something I need to do or enable in order for the Print Screen button on my keyboard to once again save screen shots? I am using Windows 11 on a PC.

Take a look in the menu > controls, then scroll down to the Take Screenshot button and see if it's mapped to any keyboard keys. If not, map it to something then when you hit it, it will save to the place where your CoH game files are stored, in a folder titled 'Screenshots'

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Take a look in the menu > controls, then scroll down to the Take Screenshot button and see if it's mapped to any keyboard keys. If not, map it to something then when you hit it, it will save to the place where your CoH game files are stored, in a folder titled 'Screenshots'

Hi Glacier Peak,

My City of Heroes program shows that Take Screenshot is already mapped to the Print Screen button on my keyboard. 

When pushing the Print Screen button, no screenshots are saved to the 'Screenshots' folder. 

I am at a loss here, as this has never been an issue for me when running City of Heroes, all the way back to 2004.

Windows 11 had a strange feature that when you pressed Print Screen (while not in the game or in the game), it would open a weird screen capture option at the top of my screen. This feature might be nice when not in a game, but for City of Heroes, it caused the game to freeze up as it took a capture of the screen. These captures were not saved to the City of Heroes 'Screenshots' folder (I don't know where they go).  I disabled it on the keyboard through the Accessibility > Keyboard screen as it was causing more issues than not. But even with that disabled, I still get no screenshots from clicking the Print Screen button in City of Heroes.

Any ideas? 

After you press the button on the keyboard, open up a photo editing program (MS paint, GIMP, Photoshop, whatever you've got) and paste (through the 'edit' menu or keyboard shortcut 'ctrl+V') and the screenshot should show up on in the program... unless you've got something else going wrong.

If this method works you will have the UI show up though, FYI

Are you looking for Ultramode style, candy coated enhancements and powers?

WELL YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!

(they're also in the City Mod installer)

WIndows 11 (and 10, I think,) by default used Print Screen for the Snipping tool - which would be the odd thing you saw pop up.

Go to your settings, accessiblility, keyboard, and about in the middle you'll find a toggle to have windows use print screen to capture stuff.  You can toggle that off. Or, of course, pick a different key in game. (or make it alt+print screen or something.)

Well, I discovered (with the help of my nephew) that with the new computer and by using the new Homecoming Launcher, the game has different folders where the game information is stored than before under the old launcher. The screenshot feature is indeed working, and was placing the screenshots in the Homecoming file folder. So, I'm an idiot. 😐 

Thanks everyone for your help though. It is appreciated. 

If you need a pic with the UI you can always use my suggestion. Alternatively there is a slash command </screenshotui 1>  or you can bind a key under Options>Keybinds and scroll all the way to the bottom of that list. There are a few variations under Options>Keybinds.

• Like 1

Are you looking for Ultramode style, candy coated enhancements and powers?

WELL YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!

(they're also in the City Mod installer)