Deadpool and Wolverine…

• Game Master
On 9/2/2024 at 9:58 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I believe that's how the Taurus awards work, although the "Hardest Hit" category suggests otherwise...

A "Stunt Ensemble" technical Oscar would do the trick for that, as it covers everyone from performers to riggers to safety crews.

Dragging this back on topic... I finally caught the flick last night and...

Hide contents
  • Do stay for the credits. While Evans' Bahston-inflected, one-take, no-cue-cards-required filth rant is fun, there's a remarkably sweet Cannonball Run-style look back at the Fox/Marvel era, featuring a young and nervous Hugh who didn't know he'd be doing this till he's 90.
  • "Another British villain" does both McFadyen and Corrin very dirty. Both very solid in their own ways, with Matt clowning for all he's worth, and Emma fleshing out her few minutes of screentime into a memorable performance. "Must be nice", in particular.
  • Deep Nerd question - did Charles ever tear a hole in the universe to find his sister?
  • Same goes for Morena Baccarin, Wesley Snipes and Jen Garner, who barely get three minutes each but make every line count.
  • Channing Tatum's Gambit... is an argument for not having comic-accurate costumes. But fun as all hell. Oh, and just maybe...
  • And, of course, the Cavillrine. Hello. Given his run of luck lately with DC and now Amazon, it's nice to see him getting props. (WH40k is on hold - Games Workshop are very canny and protective about their IP, and Amazon have not yet agreed "creative guidelines". They've got four months left to agree it before it expires.)

I have to agree with you on McFadyen and Corrin. They both did excellent jobs fleshing out the characters and not being boring ciphers. Zawe Ashton in the Marvels was kind of there, and chewed the scenery as required, but had no great screen presence. I was watching an interview with Corrin and she was very involved in creating the character, and she and the director both decided her portrayal was wrong so they went back and came up with the much more understated version we eventually got. Her first thought was an over the top, scenery chewing maniac, but dialled it so far back she was a lot more scary with her gentle manner and soft voice. She came across as someone so powerful and confident she didn't need to bluster or threaten.

Spoiler

Killing Johnny Storm with barely a thought 

showed she could have ended both protagonists with no effort, but they amused and entertained her. They were never a threat. 

"Boys are so silly".