Catching things right on the edge and making your client confused

I discovered this morning that it's possible to fly up to a base portal and, while drifting to a stop, slide past the portal, but still able to click on the portal, and select your base right before the game decides you're too far from the portal and hides the pop-up window. If you can hit this absurdly narrow window, the client and/or server get horribly confused -- you get the hourglass indicating that it's waiting for something, but you don't get the 'map loading' floating text, and after about a minute, a concensus will be reached that you did not, in fact, choose to enter your base, and your client will reluctantly decide that, yes, you're allowed to interact with the client again. I can't call this a bug, because I have been unable to repeat it, so it likely depends on a ridiculously finicky collection of user timing and network packet transmission delays to make it happen. But if someone wants to see if they can produce the same result in a reliable manner, feel free.

This happens relatively frequently to me. You don't even have to drift far enough away from the base portal to close the window and confuse the game. Just being in motion is often enough. Clicked the base portal, character was still drifting through from Fly, selected my base, and then nothing. Get the spinning hourglass for a while, still within the portal's actual area, so not anywhere near far enough away for the window to close without inputs, and then after a very long time, the hourglass goes away and nothing happens. Have to shift in place (since am in the portal's area) to get the window to pop back up so I can go in my base.

(Edit: And like you said, it doesn't seem like a bug to me, just figured it was the game getting confused.)

(Edit again: If I hit the "S" key to halt my forward motion, then this is almost guaranteed to happen.)

Edited by Rudra

9 hours ago, Rudra said:

And like you said, it doesn't seem like a bug to me

That's why I posted this in General; it didn't seem as if there was anything actually broken. I was just curious as to whether anyone else had had this happen, and if they did, how common it was.

I've had to resort to removing my left hand from the keyboard when I'm at a base portal.

Brain: "Okay, once I'm inside, zip over to the transfer poi-"
Left hand: "PRESS W NOW?  YES?  YES!  PRESSING W NOW!"
Brain: "NO!"
Right hand: "Click time?  CLICK!"

Brain: "What the Philharmonic Orchestra?!"
Left and right hands: "MUSCLE MEMORY POWERS ACTIVATED!"

Brain: "Left arm, retract.  Now."

Left hand: "*Darth Vader noooooooooooooooooo!*"

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I try to avoid edging during normal working hours; it confuses my co-workers.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)