Help with Location AOEs

This is just a QOL, not a live or die type of thing

When in heavy combat with critters all over the place, I have found it rather challenging and time wasting trying to lay down a location AOE, because as i try do it, I wind up clicking on another player mob, while trying to click on the ground, spending way too many rounds trying to get it off.

So I was hoping for a way to remedy this inconvenience, if you all have any ideas, this is a good place to share them!

My initial suggestion is: When I click on the location AOE to place the circle on the ground, it ignores players and mobs present.

My second suggestion/fix is: When I click on the location AOE, and I click on a player mob, it behaves like a targeted AOE

Any other suggestions or ideas? If you feel this is a bad request, please do not just give it a thumbs down or say nah, please let this be an educational opportunity for me and explain why it is a bad thing to ask for.

Regards

• Like 1

Here is a pretty simple workaround. You can make a macro that, when you click it it will apply the location AOE on your target. It can be friend/foe/alive/dead/trainer/merchant pretty much anything.

Here are some of the  macros I used for my Arsenal troller.

/macro ice "powexec_location target Liquid Nitrogen"
/macro smoke "powexec_location target Smoke Canister"
/macro hold "powexec_location target Tear Gas"

I usually put the real power icon above or below the macro in my tray so I can see when its recharged

image.png?ex=66b3514d&is=66b1ffcd&hm=cd7f33176efe1936df522f9298f60448aa631d452c64230297daec39a69d2b3a&

Edited by mistagoat
missed a word
  • Like 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

54 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

Here is a pretty simple workaround. You can make a macro that, when you click it it will apply the location AOE on your target. It can be friend/foe/alive/dead/trainer/merchant pretty much anything.

Here are some of the  macros I used for my Arsenal troller.

/macro ice "powexec_location target Liquid Nitrogen"
/macro smoke "powexec_location target Smoke Canister"
/macro hold "powexec_location target Tear Gas"

I usually put the real power icon above or below the macro in my tray so I can see when its recharged

Awesome work around, thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DrRocket said:

When in heavy combat with critters all over the place, I have found it rather challenging and time wasting trying to lay down a location AOE, because as i try do it, I wind up clicking on another player mob, while trying to click on the ground, spending way too many rounds trying to get it off.

What I've done for most of the Location AoE powers (and I do new ones as I have characters acquire powers I haven't used before) is to make a .mnu file in the game folder (\data\texts\English\menus) with popmenu definitions giving options for using the power:

//------------------------------------------
// Rain of Arrows

Menu "ArrowRain"
{
Title Rain of Arrows
Option "Rain of Arrows &1" "powexecname Rain of Arrows"
Option "Here &2" "powexeclocation down:max Rain of Arrows"
Option "Target &3" "powexeclocation target Rain of Arrows"
}

I then create a macro that calls the popmenu -- i.e., "/macro Rain popmenu ArrowRain"  -- and drag the actual power icon off onto an auxiliary tray so I can see the recharge. When I click the macro, I get three options, that I can click on or type 1/2/3 to select:

1.  Execute the power normally, with the ground reticle to target
  2.  Execute the power straight down at maximum distance. This toe-bombs the power if I'm on the ground, or if I'm flying over a group of mobs (i.e., the Hami raid monster phase), drops it on the ground directly under me.
  3. Executes the power at the location of my current target. This allows me to take my time selecting a target and then use it to center the power effect. Note that, because this is a location power, you can have a friendly or neutral mob targeted, or even a defeated mob, and the power will go off normally, because it's the position on the ground, not the target status, that is important.

Some powers have more options -- Wormhole has five: normal, drop target(s) right in front of me, put target(s) straight up as far as possible (they don't take damage from the fall, which is disappointing, but it's fun to watch), drop target(s) in the camera direction at max distance, and drop target(s) behind me at max distance. The last two are useful for moving spawns around when you have limited stealth, as Wormhole by itself does not cause aggro.

For almost every location AoE I take, I usually make two macros and put them next to the power itself.  One macro will target on me; one macro will target on my chosen target; and then I can use the power itself if I want to put it on a different location.

Usually something like /macro Sme powexeclocation 0:2 "Sleet"  (you can use "me" rather than "0:2" but sometimes that gets spinny) and /macro Stgt powexeclocation target "Sleet"

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Here is a single macro to do what @Yomo Kimyata suggests, to self-target, just make sure there is no trget selected in the reticle. I picked Tar Patch, but  any power (and macro image) can be selected.

/macro_image "DarkCast_Aim"    "TARP" "powexec_location me Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

• Like 1

I usually use macros for location casts in one of the first 3 trays so I can use a keybind to cast it.  The Power icon itself is usually in another tray so I can monitor the recharge and use it to place the location the rare times I want to do so.

BTW, underscores aren't needed in commands and can be dropped.  Very important in long macros and commands as a command, including one that creates a macro, can't be more than 255 characters long.  Often the longest macros will need to be editted as they can have up to 255 character too, but can't create one directly.

13 hours ago, tidge said:

Here is a single macro to do what @Yomo Kimyata suggests, to self-target, just make sure there is no trget selected in the reticle. I picked Tar Patch, but  any power (and macro image) can be selected.

/macro_image "DarkCast_Aim"    "TARP" "powexec_location me Tar Patch$$powexec_location target Tar Patch"

Well helloooo Mr. Fancy Pants!

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?