TOON TUNES: update the boombox

Both new tunes and player submitted tunes run up hard against the need for the HC staff to ensure that a new tune does not have a copyright that Homecoming would be violating by adding it to the game. If you don't have the artist and name of the piece, but just a recording, it becomes considerably more complex. As a baroque and obscure example of how complicated this can be, Peter Schickele, in his album "P.D.Q. Bach on the Air", has a section "What's My Melodic Line", where the (purported) listeners to the radio station send in the score to any work written between 1600 and 1750, challenging the "virtuosi di Hoople" to play the piece after being given its name. Three works are named, all by the baroque composer Archangelo Spumoni, and four are played (one is a misidentification); each one has a completely different score, and they're all the same piece of music, just scored differently. I don't think the resources of the HC staff are up to doing copyright searches on random music to ensure that they're not setting Homecoming up for a violation of copyright claim.

The last two suggestions, though, just depend on the animation resources available to the HC staff, along with a determination that they're worthwhile enough additions to devote the work to.

I wouldn't want them rotated - I'm typically looking for consistency. But different ones being added wouldn't be bad.

As far as animations and such (and we need some new dances, too...) it's all up to what the dev team can do.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

7 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

ROTATE THE TUNES WITH ISSUE OR WEEKLY UPDATES?

The base boombox emote already cycles through the available tracks. Players can select which track they would rather have played by choosing the specific track emote instead. As for adding more tracks, @srmalloy already explained that well.

8 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Both new tunes and player submitted tunes run up hard against the need for the HC staff to ensure that a new tune does not have a copyright that Homecoming would be violating by adding it to the game. If you don't have the artist and name of the piece, but just a recording, it becomes considerably more complex.

• THERE ARE MANY MUSICAL GRAFFITI ARTISTS WHICH JUST WANT THIER MUSIC OUT THERE.
  • QUICK WEB-SEARCH FOR "ROYALTY FREE VIDEO GAME MUSIC" WILL SHOW JUST HOW MANY WHO POST THIER CREATIONS AND ALLOW USE OR EVEN COLLABORATE.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

The base boombox emote already cycles through the available tracks. Players can select which track they would rather have played by choosing the specific track emote instead. As for adding more tracks, @srmalloy already explained that well.

• APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK...
  • MAYBE THERE ARE FOLKS WHO DID NOT KNOW THIS.
  • ADDRESSED SRMALLOY ABOVE... 

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

I wouldn't want them rotated - I'm typically looking for consistency. But different ones being added wouldn't be bad.

As far as animations and such (and we need some new dances, too...) it's all up to what the dev team can do.

• AS FAR AS ROTATION, SEE YOUR POINT.  ORIGINALS SHOULD ALWAYS SET BE DEFAULT.

On the topic of Boomboxes: There are still a number of in game tunes/music that are not easily replayed or accessible. It would be fantastic if someone was able to crack that chestnut and give us the full roster of songs to play from boomboxes.... I know Boomtown's music will be a real... blast.

Anything they do with music, I hope they would consider also tapping it into Symphony Control's Sound FX. It might be nice to have some generic Musical sound effects that can be selected for this set specifically.

And... for dances... it would also be neat if there was a way for Symphony Control to force NPC's to Dance when hit with holds and such. This would be so incredibly delightful.

Finally, it would be REALLY cool if we could get some Guitar/musical Weapons for Melee and Ranged. It doesn't seem related, but it really is.