Dp/Rad Critique/advice wanted.

Plays with Matches

Hello everyone. I'm working on leveling this on villian side.  Just wondering if i could get a few more sets of eyes on this, i think it's decent.  Perma AM and Hasten, capped s/l.  Would like to get resists up a bit if possible but not sure it is.  Anyway thanks in advance for any advice yall can toss my way.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Paycie: Level 50 Magic Corruptor

Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols

Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leaping

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Pistols -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(7)

Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(7), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(9), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), NmnCnv-Heal(11), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)

Level 2: Radiation Infection -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(33)

Level 4: Empty Clips -- SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(19)

Level 6: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)

Level 8: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(A), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(19), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(21)

Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25)

Level 12: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 14: Swap Ammo

Level 16: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(27), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)

Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 22: Lingering Radiation -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A)

Level 24: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(31), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)

Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)

Level 28: Piercing Rounds -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(34), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(34), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(36)

Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(37)

Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39), Obl-%Dam(40)

Level 35: Choking Cloud -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-Slow%(42)

Level 38: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(42), Rct-Def(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43)

Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(43), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-Rchg+(45)

Level 44: Web Cocoon -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-Slow%(46)

Level 47: Summon Disruptor -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(48), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(50), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(50)

Level 49: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Scourge

Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(50)

Level 14: Chemical Ammunition

Level 14: Cryo Ammunition

Level 14: Incendiary Ammunition

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement

Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface

Level 50: Cimeroran Core Superior Ally

Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany

Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment

------------

Edited to shaow a change, Cj + Hover seemed redundant really so i dropped flight all together replacing hover with maneuvers and fly with sj.

I'm going to throw out some Devil's Advocate style thoughts.  Maybe they will give you some ideas or reinforce how you feel about the build.  It's by no means an attempt by me to say your build is "wrong" because I don't feel that way. 

Anyway... about resistances.  You're pairing two sets with damage debuffs.  Enervating Field is -20% damage.  Chemical Ammunition gives a -8% damage debuff on Pistols, and -10% on your others.  They will stack.  If you are worried about incoming damage, change your ammo and debuff the enemy offense. 

I get pushing to cap S/L defense.  I personally feel it is overrated when using sets that can heavily debuff enemy to hit.  I am well aware that debuffs can be resisted, and some enemies have high to hit, and that August in the South is miserably humid.  So there is value in having high defense in those times where the -to hit is resisted.  It doesn't change the fact that Radiation on Corruptors has a base -25% to hit debuff which can be enhanced to around -40%.  For most enemies and grouping situations, your debuff is going to make you pretty safe.  If you plan on big game hunting solo, well then soft capping is a sound plan. 

For attacks in this specific set, I worry a little less about full set bonuses and a little more on procs.  Specifically, I am hugely biased towards Achilles' Heel in Pistols and Executioner.  You will fire these off frequently against a tough target.  Why not add another -20% resistance debuff?  Using the proc in both isn't about stacking, because it doesn't, but instead it is about up time.  You can do just fine with the proc in one power.  I prefer two. 

Piercing Rounds can't take Achilles' Heel but it can take it's cousin from the Annihilation set.  These aren't guaranteed effects, but they do stack with Enervating Field.  Dual Pistols isn't a huge damage set.  However, the debuffs are pretty good.  Furthermore, it makes use of procs that debuff.  This can work as a force multiplier in teams and it allows for more of your middle of the road damage to actually impact the hit points vs being resisted (even if Ammo only converts around 30% of the damage away from lethal). 

One more thing about Piercing Rounds.  The cone is narrow.  Positron's Blast has a range enhancement.  That will open that cone a little. 

Ok, I lied, one one one more thing about Piercing Rounds.  You know how I said that the Annihilation proc isn't a guarantee?  Well standard rounds includes a -15% resistance debuff for Corruptors.  So the proc there may not be what you want if you plan to juggle ammo types.  See, I can Devil's Advocate my own ideas! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to share some food for thought. 

- Scourging Blast. Splitting this across two powers gets you the recharge bonus twice and is often worthwhile.

- Bullet Rain vs. Empty Clips. This is - to me - a baffling choice. Empty Clips, like all cones, is tricky to use and rarely results in significant AE damage. Bullet Rain can be used at full range and hits 16 targets rather than 10 (and is far more likely to hit a large number of targets).

- Force Feedback +recharge. Slot these in Bullet Rain/Empty Clips and Hail of Bullets. It will greatly increase your average global recharge.

- Procs in general. Pretty much every single target attack on my Dual Pistols character is 3-slot Thunderstrike + 3 procs. The entire point of playing Dual Pistols is to gain access to all those procs, so you should take advantage of it. Basically, you’re using your attacks as mules rather than using them to deal damage.

- S/L Defense. I’m not a particularly big fan of S/L builds because they tend to have huge problems with status effects (which are rarely S/L-based). You’re fairly close to 45% Ranged Def on the build, so you’d probably be better off going for straight Ranged. That being said, it’s a bit tricky on a Corruptor who has no defensive boosts from their secondary. I can see a few places where a slot would gain you the BotZ 1.25%. You can get +1.56% by re-slotting Hail of Bullets or by going with Soul Drain in Epics.

- Super Jump. I can’t see any reason to take this power - it’s completely useless at 50 if you’re not using it to qualify for Acrobatics since you can simply replace it with prestige powers (and since you need the ability to Fly for Shadow Shard anyway, you will be replacing it with prestige powers).

Thanks you two for the input.  I made some changes based on your feedback.  Mostly adding some procs to most attacks and changing Empty Clips to Bullet Rain.  I picked up a couple % more ranged def as well but was not able to cap without losing too much elsewhere.  I also looked at changing epic pool to Dark but could not pull it off without losing huge amounts of defense.  I'm pretty new (just started playing when these servers launched) so inexperience may be the issue there but without a 4th def toggle i was just coming up way short.  Anyway this is what i ended up with this time.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Corruptor

Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols

Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leaping

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Pistols -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(7)

Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(7), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(9), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), NmnCnv-Heal(11), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)

Level 2: Radiation Infection -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(15)

Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(15), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(17)

Level 6: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(46)

Level 8: Bullet Rain -- SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), PstBls-Dam%(19), ImpSwf-Dam%(21), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(31)

Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Ksm-ToHit+(25)

Level 12: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 14: Swap Ammo

Level 16: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(27), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29)

Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 22: Lingering Radiation -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 24: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(31), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33)

Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)

Level 28: Piercing Rounds -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(34), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(34), PstBls-Dam%(36), Ann-ResDeb%(36)

Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(37)

Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Obl-%Dam(39), Erd-%Dam(39)

Level 35: Choking Cloud -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-Slow%(40)

Level 38: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(42), Rct-Def(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx(42)

Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(43), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), LucoftheG-Rchg+(45)

Level 44: Web Cocoon -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-Slow%(46)

Level 47: Summon Disruptor -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(48), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(50), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(50)

Level 49: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(50)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Scourge

Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(45)

Level 14: Chemical Ammunition

Level 14: Cryo Ammunition

Level 14: Incendiary Ammunition

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement

Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface

Level 50: Cimeroran Core Superior Ally

Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany

Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment

------------

Eavesdropping. =)

Oldskool. I took your advice on Achilles Heel and I'm loving it. It fits well with the character concept of my DP Vigilante (WP, though, not Rad). I can't say I see the effect so much in practical use -- the orange damage numbers -- after it has supposedly lowered the def. But I'm keeping it. Thanks.

I'm saving up to try out Annihilation now. =)

Hjarki. I'm not a fan of Empty Clips myself. I skipped that after a respec. I do use Bullet rain just for crowd control. I have only 4 slots on it with Explosive Strike for knockback, just to throw mobs away when I'm getting overwhelmed as I usually solo.

I'm a fan of Thunderstrike as well. Your reply opened up my eyes to frankenslotting instead of complete sets to make better use of the attacks as mules. Very valuable advice.

Would you fellas know if Opportunity Strikes or Sentinel's Ward is worth getting and slotting into an attack?

Would you fellas know if Opportunity Strikes or Sentinel's Ward is worth getting and slotting into an attack?

That's a Sentinel question. ;)

Happen to play Dual Pistols on both.  I also use the powers and slotting differently due to ATO's and preferences. 

Anyway, the Sentinel ATOs have a lot of accuracy, recharge, and damage. The overall set bonuses are good.  Using a full set in a specific power or breaking them up is preference.  Either way, they are useful for their general enhancement benefits. 

The procs are not impressive, but you may as well put them somewhere.  They both include a recharge reduction on top of the effect. 

All the above is pretty generic but so is the question.  In short, yes they are worth slotting into attacks but they don't significantly change Sentinel game play. 

Thanks Oldskool.

Just respec-ed my DP/WP Sentinel following as much of your and Hjarki's inputs. As much as I can afford at lvl 39. Tried it out and I got creamed! Then I realised I forgot to turn toggles on. After that, my guy was a beast! Thanks guys.

Glad you found it useful. 

I use some different powers on my Sentinel vs my Corruptor.  I actually decided to drop Bullet Rain on the Sent for a few reasons. 

1) I kinda hate the animation.  At least, it doesn't fit the concept for my character at all since the tracer rounds appear to land in arcs.  It is more Wesley from Wanted and less John Preston from Equilibrium. 

2) Sentinel's have a lower target cap anyway so Bullet Rain doesn't have quite the AoE advantage for Sentinels. Corruptors get Scourge so attacks like Bullet Rain have some inherent bonuses there.  Oh, and I like hybrid dps-support for my Corruptor.  So Bullet Rain lets me spread the debuff love to more targets.  More AoE options = more targets debuffed.  My Sentinel is more single target focused because AoE on the AT is "meh".  If that ever changes for the AT, I'd likely change my recommendations.

3) Empty Clips has higher DPA.  It takes more enemies for Bullet Rain to be more efficient, and see # 2 on target caps.  It can still be efficient on Sentinels, but see #1 as well. lol -- side note.  Both of these powers can take the Force Feedback Chance for Recharge.  Bullet Rain will get you more targets hit to trigger the effect since you can't mess up targeting like you can with Empty Clips.  For damage purposes though, Clips is fine see #4 about increasing cone size by accident on the Sentinel.

4) Sentinel ATO's have global bonuses to range.  Positron's blast has a Range/Damage.  Both Empty Clips and even Piercing Rounds are better cones because of this.  It isn't hard to widen their cones and make more out of the limited target caps of the AT with these.

5) I use Suppressive Fire on my Sentinel but not my Corruptor.  It effectively replaces Bullet Rain in the numbers of powers I took as well as number of slots spent.  I really wanted to squeeze in Suppressive on my Corr to stack the hold with Petrifying Gaze or use it for additional control.  I just couldn't in the end since there were other things I wanted, and in the end Bullet Rain + Scourge was more important for that build.   

Anyway, I've used Bullet Rain a number of ways on Justin for the Sentinel and ultimately came to the conclusion I could live without it.  An IO build on the Sentinel transforms some of the functionality of Dual Pistols in greater ways than it seems to on Corruptor/Defenders.  I won't comment on Blasters since I haven't bothered to investigate them. 

I could probably go on about some other differences like ammo types between the two, but anyone can PM for that.  I don't want to derail this.    Actually, I just took a peek at Blaster DP on Pine's.  If it is correct, then Sentinel's are the only AT with the set that have the absolutely worst values for the debuffs.  In both testing on Justin, and napkin mathing rotations (my napkin is an Excel spreadsheet) using the standard ammo took a back seat to fire ammo for damage. 

You might see some rotations like starting off Piercing Rounds in standard ammo, turn on fire ammo, follow-up Pistols -> Executioner -> Pistols -> repeat..  This may not work as well on all Sentinel builds (I can only speak for my specific build).  I would recommend doing the above on say a Defender that gets -20% resistance with Piercing Rounds in standard ammo, or a Corruptor with -15% (Blasters too at -13% if accurate in Pine's).  The Sentinel's -9.6% wasn't doing as well against a Pylon (base 20% Resistance) as the fire ammo in solo testing. 

Believe it or not I have had success with Piercing -> Pistols -> Executioner -> Suppressive, and never toggle off ammo.  For pure damage Incendiary seems to be the way to go 24/7 (at least for my DP/Nin) because the damage contribution of the fire was contributing more for Piercing Rounds than the debuff was to the follow-up hits in total damage per cycle (starts with PR, ends with new application of PR when it is ready again).  Any amounts of -resistance are going to be amplified on teams though since more of their damage will break through.  So standard ammo with it's -resistance and -defense debuffs might be more valuable than whatever personal DPS increase you get in some group compositions.  Chemical rounds still offer -damage which also has value at times.  I'm not personally fond of cryo, but if you're teamed with a set that stacks -recharge by accident (Water, Ice, etc.) you can support them with cryo.  I am sure there are other ways to get creative with Dual Pistols.  It is what the set is good at, being creative with the ammo.

Maybe I should write a guide one of these days.  The set seems to have popped up in popularity lately since I see multiple lines of discussion in all the AT's that have access to it.  I've had a lot of fun just exploring the nuance of the set across the Sentinel, Defender, and Corruptor.  After toying with Defender, I ultimately opted for Corruptor for my DP/Dark/Soul due to personal preference. 

Anyway, I've probably derailed this topic enough, but maybe my experience will be of use to others. 

Wow! That's a lot to absorb.

Oh, and sorry for steering the thread away from corruptors. I forget that it is in fact in the corruptors heading. I was just out hunting info on DP or WP anywhere I could find it. Got excited by the frankenslotting aspect of your posts.

But, yeah. Some of the animations of the DP are a little too much. I almost skipped bullet rain and piercing shot because their animation didn't jive with my toon. But I needed the their functionality. I still cringe a little every time I use the power.

I stuck to standard ammo after playing around with the swapping. Took too much eye-hand-brain work for me when the mobs were getting bigger. It was fun but I found that I preferred the knockback of dual wield, bullet rain and executioner over the  admittedly more situationally-effective swap ammo. And my toon preferred it too (finishing things off with a kick from fighting power pool makes me chuckle every time).

Thanks again.