New Controller looking for guidance

Argulus

Returning to CoX, and never really mained a controller.  With all of the additions to the power choices, there are a couple of combos that have caught my eye.  I was hoping some of you vets can give me some direction and insight.

What I am looking at are a couple of options:

1) Ice/Storm or Wind/Storm

- and -

2) Ill/Time or Mind/Time

Obviously two very separate types of character.  Have sort of a backstory for each, but would like to know the viability or preference for each option.  Any help and information would be hugely appreciated.  Thanks.

TechnoPrime - Robotics/Gadgets MM

Project Exo-Fusion - Warshade

RAD Hammer - Rad/Rad Brute

Battle Master - Kin/EA Scrapper

Wave Lord - Storm/Water Defender

Well first of all, Wind isn't done yet, so put that on your back burner.

As for Mind/Time, I played one on Live, and it was pretty beastly. However, the main thing that made it so was turning multiple powers into "proc buzzsaws", which really doesn't happen now with what the HC team has done to procs (they fire off randomly a certain number of times per minute instead of having a chance per tick when in a toggle).

That said, Ill and Mind are on the exact opposite ends of the spectrum as far as Controller sets are concerned. Illu has 2 ST attacks, one of which give an enemy BACK some health, while Mind has a full 3-power attack chain (provided you slot Mesmerize and Dominate for attack strength). Illu has a bunch of Pets and psuedo pets, Mind has none. Illu has a few skippable powers, Mind only really has one (Telekinesis). Illu is light on actual control (A AoE hold, an AoE fear, and its hold comes with the ability to sleep 2 additional foes), while Mind has 4 AoE controls (5 if you wanna include TK). Illu relies on misdirection and pet damage (but only one of them can be buffed) which allows you to stand back and watch the show, while playing Mind means staying constantly involved. I would almost recommend rolling them both, they're THAT different, even with the same secondary.

So anyway, back to my own experiences. Mind is a vast toolkit, and Time has a lot going on for it, though like 3 powers that are all about slowing foes down. It's not the BEST combo, because if played right, Mind doesn't NEED a secondary... though "played right", it's essentially a Blaster set where each blast has a Mez attached. You'll really want a Secondary that increases your damage, recharge speed, and lowers enemy resistance, to get the most out of Mind's attack chain and Control AoEs. Time has a few things going for it in that regard. Time also has a couple ways to stack holds on harder targets, especially with the use of procs. Mass Confusion plus the AoE slow effects will keep you safe while making sure the bad guys don't take up too much XP defeating each other. Time matures LATE, though. The abilities you need to buff yourself come later on, so it's gonna be a bit of a slog up until that point.

That's all I got, good luck and have fun!

One combo you might want to consider amongst your choices there is Ill/Storm.

Starts off pretty decently and just gets stronger and stronger. Storm gives the AoE (and damage in general) that Controller often lacks while Ill gives you an option (Phantom Army) against mez resistant enemies that you will eventually come across.

Then reason I noted these two points because its probably the two most common things that cause Controllers trouble.

I started an Ill/Storm as my main, for several reasons:

1: AoE (small area, though) damage

2: Recharge build for PA also helps with stacking Freezing Rain, Tornado, and Lightning Storm

3: Ability to fight by placing powers and staying out of the fight so you don't worry about eating AoEs.

But, as a side note, on this server /Traps is available to Controllers, and that's a very high AoE secondary, with great radius on its AoEs (Caltrops and Trip Mine). And Trip Mine is available for every spawn for about 400 damage at 50. If AoE is your thing, Plant/Traps... thematically it doesn't fit that well, but I also like the idea of stacking or alternating the +Regen summons.

Coyote,

Would you have a Ill/Storm build you'd like to share?

Thanks

Sure, though I don't bother planning for Incarnates...there will be time to respec and redesign at that point.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Kitsune: Level 50 Magic Controller

Primary Power Set: Illusion Control

Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning

Power Pool: Sorcery

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Blind -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(3), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(5)

Level 1: Gale -- Acc-I(A), KBDist-I(7), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7)

Level 2: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Conf(13)

Level 4: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(19), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(21), Dcm-Build%(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(23)

Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23)

Level 8: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)

Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(27)

Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27), RechRdx-I(29)

Level 14: Group Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 16: Freezing Rain -- TchofLadG-Rchg/EndRdx(A), UndDfn-Rchg/EndRdx(29), UndDfn-Rchg(31)

Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(31), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(33), SlbAll-Build%(33)

Level 20: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(34), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(34), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(34)

Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 24: Spectral Wounds -- EntChs-Heal%(A), EntChs-Acc/Dmg(36), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx(36), EntChs-Dmg/Rchg(36), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)

Level 26: Spectral Terror -- GlmoftheA-Dam%(A), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(37), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(37), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(39)

Level 28: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 30: Thunder Clap -- AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun(39), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(39), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(40), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(50)

Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpStr-Dam%(42)

Level 35: Tornado -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(42), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(43), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)

Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Apc-Dmg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)

Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)

Level 44: Energy Torrent -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(50)

Level 47: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 49: Rune of Protection -- TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Containment

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), Pnc-Heal/+End(15)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), EndMod-I(17), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(17)

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

------------