Psi/Regen or Psi/Shield?

Kaboom009

Hello community! I am wanting to build a Psi Assassin and would love some input from those that know the Stalker class well. I have always played more of a Brute type but would like to give this class a shot.

I am looking for a secondary that is good in both PvP and PvE. I like the idea of Regen but I don’t know how functional it is and on the other hand I think the +dmg from shield could be real nice. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Currently playing a Psi/ice and it's really come out as a scrapping type of stalker although the interaction with chilling embrace gives me mixed feelings. Quite a few nice tools. Would recommend.

For /shield, I haven't tried it on a stalker but I've heard good things about sword /shield stalker. I'd imagine it's quite good with psi too.

/Regen is a tough set to sell. You will feel pretty squishy and there's not much synergy I can see. Of the two you asked I'd go shield. I love my elec/Regen but he's very twitchy with how he's played.

The thing about Stalkers is that they lose something in exchange for Hide.  Regeneration loses Quick Recovery, which is kind of a big deal since the endurance recovery passive is one of the few selling points of the set in this day and age and aside from that Regen is... not really in a good position at this point.

Shield on the other hand loses Phalanx Fighting, which normally grants you more defense depending on how many teammates are nearby.  If you're PvPing the loss absolutely isn't an issue, and even in PvE it's not a problem since Stalkers are usually hitting priority targets in mobs and not in the middle of the cuddle puddle with the tank.  Also, I'm not sure if the PvP meta changed a lot in the past... twelve years or so, but Active Defense gives you protection to fear and confuse, which few mez protection powers have, let alone both of them, and I do recall fear being useful in PvP because of that selfsame lack of protection.

It's just a very solid defensive set, even if it feels kind of silly on a Stalker.  Do note, though, that the +dmg from Against all Odds is only active if you're not hidden, and that due to the way Shield Charge was put together (it's actually quite clever how they did it), it doesn't break hide.  That last one isn't a problem at all, mind.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Shield is a much better option, the damage buff is very strong on Stalker base damage and Shield Charge is a great AoE which is something stalkers are otherwise lacking.

Regen isn't great.  No quick recovery, lower stalker base hp makes for weaker powers since they are all based on that, and other sets will offer more mitigation while still providing regen and/or heals.  It isn't 'bad' or 'unplayable' or anything like that, but it will not be an optimal choice.

I would recommend you not play Regen, play Willpower instead. It also is lacking a +recovery power due to hide, but as a more modern set it has a good layering of bits of defense and resistance and is quite solid paired with Psi-Melee. I just think of Willpower as Regeneration 2.0 at this point.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!