I love "Rain" attacks. Need some advice and input. ICE/STORM, WATER/STORM

SmalltalkJava

I love the Rain type attacks.  I love AOE attacks that last for a while.  I used to play a Matter Cabalist in DAOC back in the day that had AOE DOT's and Diseases.  I think I'll end up going Corruptor because of Scourge, but I'm still willing to go Defender if there is a legitimate advantage in the end game.

Right now I am tossing up between ICE/STORM or WATER/STORM.  I'm really leaning towards ICE/STORM, but wanted some perspectives on people who have actually played these combo's or can at at least from their experience do some thought experiments.

ICE:  Ice Storm + Blizzard

WATER:  Whirlpool + Geyser - which is a semi-rain (I think)

STORM:  Freezing Rain + Tornado + Lightening Storm(pbaoe i think)

Are there any combo's of rain primary/secondary that I'm missing?  Do you have any general advice, or rambling thoughts?

- edit -

PS.  not sure if it matters. But i plan to be grouping exclusively with this character. 

Just like with Caltrops, $Targets will attempt to flee the AoE of the Rain power ... so unless you've got a way of keeping them in it (Immobilize, Stun, Hold, Slow Movement) they'll just "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!" and get out of it pretty quickly.  This means you need to have HERDING in order to keep them in the Rain Zone.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Just like with Caltrops, $Targets will attempt to flee the AoE of the Rain power ... so unless you've got a way of keeping them in it (Immobilize, Stun, Hold, Slow Movement) they'll just "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!" and get out of it pretty quickly.  This means you need to have HERDING in order to keep them in the Rain Zone.

Hey there Redlynne.  I was reading on one of your builds that you slotted a power font proc in an aoe immobilize, and if i understood correctly you just spammed that for the procs.  That might be an idea.  But that would limit me to /storm.  Some stuff to think about for sure.

Freezing rains mechanic of causing targets to fall does a pretty good of keeping mobs in the rain. If you go with ice blast, ice storm also has a slow. Between the slow in ice storm and the slip and fall from freezing rain i think you are actually ok. 

You can do a decent job of keeping targets in an area with either Ice/Storm or Water/Storm (though I would run it as a defender to get the Storm powers earlier), if you slot up Freezing Rain a bit for -Slow. There are nice IOs with End/Rech/Slow enhancements, so they'll help what you want to enhance on it in addition to the movement debuff. All of the Rain powers that you're looking at will slow movement, so combine all of those movement debuffs, and mobs will run out but quite slowly.

Add in Gale with a KB -> KD IO in order to knock everyone down in the rains, and you'll be fine. Just remember to always use Freezing Rain before Gale, since it's inaccurate and you need FR's -Defense debuff to hit reliably. Also, add in the Force Feedback proc to Gale if you do this, and you can get a lot of +Recharge buffing when fighting larger spawns.

You can do a decent job of keeping targets in an area with either Ice/Storm or Water/Storm (though I would run it as a defender to get the Storm powers earlier), if you slot up Freezing Rain a bit for -Slow. There are nice IOs with End/Rech/Slow enhancements, so they'll help what you want to enhance on it in addition to the movement debuff. All of the Rain powers that you're looking at will slow movement, so combine all of those movement debuffs, and mobs will run out but quite slowly.

Add in Gale with a KB -> KD IO in order to knock everyone down in the rains, and you'll be fine. Just remember to always use Freezing Rain before Gale, since it's inaccurate and you need FR's -Defense debuff to hit reliably. Also, add in the Force Feedback proc to Gale if you do this, and you can get a lot of +Recharge buffing when fighting larger spawns.

Thanks for the info.  I went defender.  I also just got the kb -> kd io from the summer Blockbuster for Gale.  The rains are fun.  Now I can use gale also