Something off, or just bad luck?

RikOz

I'm really starting to wonder about these Circle of Thorns missions and the mob spawns therein. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the algorithm that populates the maps, or if I've just had a (long) string of bad luck.

Basically, I dread CoT missions because every map is just wall-to-wall daemons. You know, the ones with the massive ToHit debuff. And sometimes the spawns are close enough together that I end up with six of those things on me at once, stacking the debuff, and there is just no hope of hitting anything when that happens. Very very few of the "human" CoT mobs by comparison.

I don't remember it being this bad on live, so maybe I'm just having bad luck? I can't carry enough ACC insps to overcome this.

Ah, so the same design philosophy that led to level 5-6 characters who only have two attacks getting put up against orange-conning Arachnos lieutenants that spam Web Grenade, which slows the recharge of those measly two attacks. (Talking about the first part of the Shining Stars missions.)

No, the CoT have been that way forever.  It was to encourage you to team up, so you'd get even more demons debuffing everybody.  And if your team is big enough, they'll spawn bosses who will bubble all the demons so you get to miss EVEN MORE.

The Shining Stars missions represent the new design philosophy, it goes kinda like this:  level 50s are steamrolling content so we'll make everything harder, starting at level 1.  This same philosophy just got my Praetorian Brute dribbled to death by four Destroyer minions spamming KD attacks, clearly an appropriate challenge at level 9 when almost nobody has KD protection.