Windows 10 v1903

krich050

I searched around on the forms and it seems there are others with this issue but i cant find a solution. on Tuesday 7/23/19 my SSD with my OS died. I upgraded to a new SSD with Windows 10 v1903 and reinstalled Tequila. When trying to open the game it says loading and then the game never opens. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you in adavnce

• City Council

Hey, sorry you all are having this problem. We have a few reports of players that are no longer able to the load the client as of the recent Windows 10 update (1903).

Where do you all have City of Heroes installed? (Where is the CoH folder located on your computer?) Feel free to block out your computer username if it is shown in the path.

Thanks!

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, The Philotic Knight said:

You should take the files out of the Documents folder. That's a protected Windows folder. Just stick it in a subfolder of your hard drive that Windows doesn't care about. 

It’s been like that since day one when score project came out. I’ve never had the issue before.

also it’s not the main documents file. It’s in a second SSD used for gaming I just call it documents 

Edited by krich050

You say you put in a new ssd with fresh install of windows...so did you follow/redo all the steps in my guide to make sure windows defender, anti virus etc do not block the game? 

See link in my siggy which will take you to my sticky thread.

Edited by Silk

1 hour ago, krich050 said:

It’s been like that since day one when score project came out. I’ve never had the issue before.

also it’s not the main documents file. It’s in a second SSD used for gaming I just call it documents 

I hope you can understand that when you say "the documents folder", I have to assume that you mean the Windows standard documents folder, right? I mean, how would I know that it was a custom "documents" folder unless you told us ahead of time? Also, by using the word "the" you're kind of suggesting that it's "THE documents folder". https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=windows+the+documents+folder

I'm out.

28 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I hope you can understand that when you say "the documents folder", I have to assume that you mean the Windows standard documents folder, right? I mean, how would I know that it was a custom "documents" folder unless you told us ahead of time? Also, by using the word "the" you're kind of suggesting that it's "THE documents folder". https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=windows+the+documents+folder

I also stated the game is installed on a separate SSD. Hint my BOOT SSD and Game SSD

1 hour ago, krich050 said:

I also stated the game is installed on a separate SSD. Hint my BOOT SSD and Game SSD

Silly question, but have you tried running Tequila "As Administrator"?

I have a similar set up: Games are installed on an SSD at d:\Games\CoH and do not have a problem getting to the login. I just ran Tequila from the CoH directory that I copied from another hard drive and Tequila installed OK.

1 minute ago, billy2hawks said:

Silly question, but have you tried running Tequila "As Administrator"?

I have a similar set up: Games are installed on an SSD at d:\Games\CoH and do not have a problem getting to the login. I just ran Tequila from the CoH directory that I copied from another hard drive and Tequila installed OK.

Not a silly question 🙂 but yes, I run it at administrator. I will try what the guys above said and put in a different folder. If worse comes to worse, I’ll reformat the boot drive and put v1809 on it.

Check the security permissions on you SDD for the folder CoH is in.

Security permissions do not cross physical drives (well you can make it, there are virtual, RAID, yadda, but in general, they don't).

If you moved the files from drive to drive and reinstalled Windows you may have to take ownership of the folder.  You can also have orphaned security entries as Windows will have the SIDs for the old users/groups that probably don't match the common names/SIDs for the same user/group on the new install.

Hey all just wanted to let you know i found the issue. Seems I had a corrupt installation of windows 10 v1903 and wasn’t able to open other apps like discord and steam. I wiped my bootdrive, did a clean install of win 10 and everything started working again. I appreciate the help from everyone!

thank you  

• 2 weeks later

This seemed the right place to put this, if wrong...feel free to delete or move.  I had a different issue with 1903.  It completely ruined my CoH...and ONLY my CoH.  The game became unusable.  Horrific lag.  My wife did not experience this issue because she has not applied the update yet.  No other game had this issue except CoH (that include SWTOR, STO, Skyrim, ME3, ME: Andromeda, etc).  The only fix was to completely roll back the update and now CoH runs like a champ on Ultra like it always has.  Just wanted to post this warning to anyone with NVIDIA GTX1060.  That's what happened to me and I tried all the usual troubleshooting...reinstalling graphics, playing on low graphics settings...the works.  Only completely rolling back the update and turning off AU in the registry fixed the issue.  Don't know what Microsoft did in this update...but it really didn't like my CoH install.  I even completely redownloaded the game.  MS is notorious for sometimes messing up updates...so if you experience that issue?  That's the fix...I'll be waiting for a while before applying it again in hopes MS releases another cumulative update that is better quality controlled.