Looking for opinions on WP/SM

sushiloving123

Made a short stocky character called Dwarven Bulwark that is WP/SM. Feels very SMASH to me at 17. What powers in /SM did you find that were skippable? I am eyeing Hurl Boulder and Fault but have not had the pleasure of testing them yet. Thanks!

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

• 3 weeks later
On 7/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, sushiloving123 said:

Made a short stocky character called Dwarven Bulwark that is WP/SM. Feels very SMASH to me at 17. What powers in /SM did you find that were skippable? I am eyeing Hurl Boulder and Fault but have not had the pleasure of testing them yet. Thanks!

I would say that Hurl Boulder is arguably skippable based on the long animation time but that's a personal prejudice so YMMV.

On the other hand, or foot as the case may be, Fault is in no way skippable for tankers. While it has no damage component to speak of the disorient and near universal knockdown make it a great way to actively control aggro in a teaming situation. It is also a great panic button should things go south for you for any reason.

On a personal note AOE knockdowns are impressive for any archetype and make my Inv/Stone tanker feel all the more powerful.

Edited by JCMcBoo
formatting
  • Like 1

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

as sushiloving123  said, hurl boulder is skippable.   dam/anim is a bit low.    But it still looks awesome!

As an idea, you have 3 builds (at level 50).    Some people make a pvp and pve build.     Its a great way to test pool powers and powers you may not like.

Some make it into a playstyle, some do not.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, tellania said:

as sushiloving123  said, hurl boulder is skippable.   dam/anim is a bit low.    But it still looks awesome!

As an idea, you have 3 builds (at level 50).    Some people make a pvp and pve build.     Its a great way to test pool powers and powers you may not like.

Some make it into a playstyle, some do not.

An excellent suggestion tellania! I did that very thing with my Emp/Psy defender. The original build is extremely team-centric with my primary taking slotting precedence. My second build is just the opposite, I have no primary powers that do not impact my character and have heavily slotted my secondary for soloing. He is still not all that tough but I have found that it helps to play like a dominator (definator/domender?) and lead with my immobilize and sleeps to mitigate incoming damage which can quickly overcome his self heal at this point in his career.

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

Years ago I had a guide for WP/Stone Melee tankers.  This is quite obsolete for Homecoming; it was built for the issues where you needed prerequisites for a travel power and could spec into pool power Stamina and wanted to do so on a Willpower character.  You may find some ideas there.  The build at least discusses available IO sets, with a focus on inexpensive ones for the days when the sets were prohibitively expensive and valuable bonuses in bargain sets were at a premium. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291