Need help on AR/Fire build

krj12

I just hit 50 with my AR/Fire, and thinking final build.

Searching through both the old and current forums, there's not much information beyond AR/Devices builds.

Goals for my build:   Good survivability, I'm assuming through capped ranged and melee defense.   Good DPS and recharge levels, with procs where appropriate.

I don't want to blap, so not really interested in using melee attacks that much.

Unsure at this time how important insta-snipe is to overall dps - I'm guessing using Full Auto as much as possible will be where most of my DPS comes from.

Leveling up, it seemed to be useful as a leadoff attack when full auto wasn't available, but other than that...

The two short range attacks,  should I bother adding a +range enhancement, or just go with a full IO set?

Thematically, I would probably have to go with either Fire or Munitions for my epic set, though from what I'm reading Munitions seems to be looked down on.

Not sure if I should do Combat Jumping or with the Tough/Weave combo.  Or both.

Also wondering if I should go Recharge or Damage with my Alpha power.

Cost is no  barrier, so I'm not opposed to liberal use of Purple sets where appropriate.

Thanks much for the help.

Edited by krj12

All my experience with AR/Fire comes from live, so it's hella outdated; no insta-snipes, no sustains, no ATOs or Winter sets, but with that in mind:

Combat Jump is extremely useful, since you have a short,narrow cone in Buckshot, a short wide cone in Flamethrower, and a long narrow cone in Full Auto.  And then there's Burn.  So you want to be mobile.  Tough/Weave are probably necessary if you want to build some defense.

You could probably justify Mace Mastery thematically if you want to take Scorpion Shield and go for S/L/E defense rather than positional.  If you want to stick with Fire or Munitions, I'd pick Fire.  The only real advantage to Munitions was the no redraw when paired with AR, but now that AR has a no-redraw option, it's purely a thematic choice.

Full Auto is terrible Single-target DPS.  Assault Rifle is terrible at single-target DPS.  So yes, if you can fit insta-snipe in, I'd do it; it will make your single-target DPS less terrible.

Range enhancements in Flamethrower and Buckshot are nice, if you have the slots to spare, Flamethrower especially.

Damage for Alpha probably, since it's easy to get a lot of recharge from purples and ATOs.

I wouldn't suggest leading off with Full Auto either; use Flamethrower first, and watch your enemies burn while you gun them down.  Or put a KB-to-KD proc in M30 and lead off with that, so they will fall down and can't hurt you while you are setting them on fire.  And don't forget to spin the camera during Full Auto's animation, this is crucial to playing AR properly.