Archtype Concept - The Warden

Ello Everyone! Here's an idea I would love to see as a playable archtype. The Warden!

Concept -

Primary Power Pool - The assault set from Dominators - A good mix of range and melee

Secondary Power Pool - Custom set that's a mix of control and defense - It won't have anywhere near the control capability of a controller or a dominator, but will have better defense.

Example custom set - Earth Warden

Lvl 1 - Stone Armor

Lvl 2 - Stone Prison

Lvl 4 - Stone Skin

Lvl 10 - Quick Sand

Lvl - 16 Earths Embrace

Lvl 20 - Stone Cages

Lvl 28 - Crystal Armor

Lvl 35 - Rooted

Lvl 38 - Earthquake

For their special, since they focus on melee and range for damage and have more immobilize powers than holds - The Warden gets a small bonus to defense against any foe affected by a status effect such as immobilize/slow - Any status effect the Warden puts on an enemy has an increased duration.

(Note, I am not a math/design balance brained person, so this is just a bare bones skeleton of an idea. Any advice on how it could work better/ideas on other 2ndary sets would be much appreciated!)

+1 inf

I want an assault primary AT soooooo bad.

But you cannot have that inherent. There's just no way in the current set up to have it work. What you could do is give them extra damage versus controlled opponents or increased aggro generation against controlled opponents?

What about setting up a "Resonance" power where are your assault attacks against controlled targets have the ability to proc an area control effect determined by the power? We could put mostly single-target controls in the secondary powerset, and then how the primary assault powers spread short-duration controls.

Hit a Target that is held with a basic attack? A 10% chance that you will create a MAG 2 hold in a 7 ft radius with a maximum of three targets for 6 seconds. Hit them with one of your high end attacks? Mag 3 7ft radius 5 targets.

Ello Everyone! Here's an idea I would love to see as a playable archtype. The Warden!

Concept -

Primary Power Pool - The assault set from Dominators - A good mix of range and melee

Secondary Power Pool - Custom set that's a mix of control and defense - It won't have anywhere near the control capability of a controller or a dominator, but will have better defense.

Example custom set - Earth Warden

Lvl 1 - Stone Armor

Lvl 2 - Stone Prison

Lvl 4 - Stone Skin

Lvl 10 - Quick Sand

Lvl - 16 Earths Embrace

Lvl 20 - Stone Cages

Lvl 28 - Crystal Armor

Lvl 35 - Rooted

Lvl 38 - Earthquake

For their special, since they focus on melee and range for damage and have more immobilize powers than holds - The Warden gets a small bonus to defense against any foe affected by a status effect such as immobilize/slow - Any status effect the Warden puts on an enemy has an increased duration.

(Note, I am not a math/design balance brained person, so this is just a bare bones skeleton of an idea. Any advice on how it could work better/ideas on other 2ndary sets would be much appreciated!)

You're posting a lot of AT ideas.

One thing I'd suggest to you is to consider the entire ability set of an AT and measure it against the concepts you propose.  For this instance, you've got an AT made to have melee, ranged and damage buffing, control and armor defense.  Now look at Blaster who has ranged, melee and damage buffing, some control and later on, armor defenses.  Or Dominator who has control, the assault sets, mez defense in the inherent and then later armor defense.

The idea to my criticism is, why build this AT when a Dominator could control much better with similar damage?  Or why not make a Blaster who can deal a heck of a lot better damage?

Personally, I'd focus on making something that wasn't reliable or possible before as an AT rather than coming up with whatever novel concept just comes to mind because the ATs while on the surface, look rigid and confining to concrete roles, are actually very flexible with proper powers combinations.  It's just people tend to look at them through the high-end min/max lens of how they perform in incarnate trials or maxed farms rather than crafting a character within the confines of the ruleset of the game.

Lastly, just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt: The assault sets (and related, the manipulation sets and pet sets) are crafted, implemented and balanced for the sole ATs that have them.  They are unique to the needs of that AT and aren't like power pools that you can try to fit in with other AT ideas.  Really, the concept of retrofitting same sets to other ATs is rather outdated as many of the new sets abandon this concept and change or remove powers so that they are balanced for the needs of the AT that has it.  They could have ported over Dark Miasma to controllers, but they didn't.  They could have ported all blast sets to Sentinel with no changes but they didn't.  That being said, even if this AT were to get the assault sets, I'd hope enough is changed to facilitate this ATs needs...but overall, I think having 1 mixed role set (primary or secondary) is enough.  Anything else should be covered in the Ancillary/Epic pools.

This is my first AT idea post? There's another poster named Varkarrus that has been posting several ideas.

As for the rest of your feedback, I was aiming to have this AT be a bit of a jack of all trades/master of none. There's plenty of superhero's out there that fit this concept. Look at Spiderman. He has melee(Super strength martial arts), he has control(webs), he most certainly has the defense (spidey sense/high durability/some natural regen), and depending on the universe, he has ranged (Looking at you MCU with your kill mode).

Look at Batman - He has Melee (martial arts assassin training), he ranged (bat-arangs!), defense (suit+reflexes), and he has control (bolas and other gadgets).

I just want to do what they do!

I'm a +1 to the idea of this set...I am a little concerned you have only 1 secondary, that seems limiting.

Leogunner...what specifics would you CHANGE about his idea, while working within the idea he's presented...unless you just feels it awful, in which case, forget I posted this

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I'm a +1 to the idea of this set...I am a little concerned you have only 1 secondary, that seems limiting.

Leogunner...what specifics would you CHANGE about his idea, while working within the idea he's presented...unless you just feels it awful, in which case, forget I posted this

It's just one example set.

Might be what the OP meant...but he said "Custom Set" and provided the stats on one set...I saw no use of the plural...

That being said, I'm sure other folks could create some additional sets modeled after his one custom set...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Might be what the OP meant...but he said "Custom Set" and provided the stats on one set...I saw no use of the plural...

That being said, I'm sure other folks could create some additional sets modeled after his one custom set...

Example Custom Set - Earth Warden

Is what it says in the OP.

This is my first AT idea post? There's another poster named Varkarrus that has been posting several ideas.

My bad.  I had multiple threads open and I guess I just mistook you since you didn't have a picture avatar.

As for the rest of your feedback, I was aiming to have this AT be a bit of a jack of all trades/master of none. There's plenty of superhero's out there that fit this concept. Look at Spiderman. He has melee(Super strength martial arts), he has control(webs), he most certainly has the defense (spidey sense/high durability/some natural regen), and depending on the universe, he has ranged (Looking at you MCU with your kill mode).

Look at Batman - He has Melee (martial arts assassin training), he ranged (bat-arangs!), defense (suit+reflexes), and he has control (bolas and other gadgets).

Well, I wouldn't consider web-shooters a control set.  It's more a signature power as he can do whatever the plot of the comic requires using webbing.  He's used them as control, for melee, for ranged, as debuffs, as travel...there is no analog for such a character within CoX.

Same with Batman.  His gadgets are more like pool powers (I actually remember suggesting a pool power called Utility Belt where you had basically 4 empty slots that you can put temporary powers into and maybe the 1st power in the pool increases the usage and storage of the slots and these would be, like, any temp power that exists you can store it in there...).

Firstly, I had mistaken the OP for another poster who posted 2 other AT ideas.  I was seeing a trend in the suggestions and gave criticism in the context of all 3 being from the same poster.

Secondly, I understand the context of the suggestion being merely a suggestion so it really shouldn't be skin off anyone's back if someone doesn't like an idea.  I don't think it's a swell idea to have an AT whose got one primary or secondary set that is both offensive types (melee and ranged) and couple it with another set whose both defensive types (armor and control).  It's a formula that spreads itself very thin and the line between mediocrely bad and overpoweringly overshadowing would be very narrow.  To which, the only solution is picking either or.

This can help in a number of ways.  For ranged or melee sets, this gives conceptual focus.  I enjoy assault sets as much as the next guy but there's just no replacing a good Archer with their many arrows, or a machine gun toting bad mother-F, or a man with a huge sword/hammer.  On the other hand, if you want something that definitely uses the assault sets, why meddle with aspects of Dominator and just put it on an armored individual and solely focus on that aspect?  Of course, you start dipping into Sentinel territory which touches on the previous criticism.

So my suggested change would be to go back to the drawing board.

Example Custom Set - Earth Warden

Is what it says in the OP.

Sheesh...you win alright...I still only see one set...I am assuming that other bright minds can come up with more.

Rather than jumping all over me, do you have ideas to improve set(s).

This is interesting... I definitely want an AT with Assault primary, but having less control than a blaster in a control/defense secondary doesn't seem all that appealing. My suggestion would be to either go for actual control powers (as someone who often plays controllers, immobilize, slow, and KB/KD/KU barely count as control powers...) - That might justify the conceptual and balancing work of mixing control and defense powers - in your mixed sets or go with either buff/debuff (Defender primaries) or defensive sets. The buff/debuff sets would make some interesting pairings and allow for something similar to a Corruptor, but with a different mix of ranged/melee. Defensive sets would offer a middleground between Sentinel and Scrapper.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

This is interesting... I definitely want an AT with Assault primary, but having less control than a blaster in a control/defense secondary doesn't seem all that appealing. My suggestion would be to either go for actual control powers (as someone who often plays controllers, immobilize, slow, and KB/KD/KU barely count as control powers...) - That might justify the conceptual and balancing work of mixing control and defense powers - in your mixed sets or go with either buff/debuff (Defender primaries) or defensive sets. The buff/debuff sets would make some interesting pairings and allow for something similar to a Corruptor, but with a different mix of ranged/melee. Defensive sets would offer a middleground between Sentinel and Scrapper.

The idea of the Control/Defense split is that they're both forms of directly defensive powers that are functionally different.

Defense is a form of Partial Mitigation while Control is Absolute Mitigation. A Defense and Support set would be Partial/Partial. Essentially this kind of class would play like an EAT without being Theme-Locked.

Also I wasn't trying to get on you, Justice and I'm sorry it came across that way!

To justicebeliever - I was just posting an example 2ndary, I apologize if that wasn't clear.

To everyone - Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts on this AT is that HP would fall somewhere between blaster and sentinel. In combat, it would focus on locking down foes into one place and add some other status effect such as end drain, slow, knock down, yada yada as a soft control to supplement their defensive powers, while doing the DPS'ing with their primary set. They wouldn't be as squishy as a blapper, but no where near as tanky as a stalker/scrapper/brute/tank/sentinel.

Also I wasn't trying to get on you, Justice and I'm sorry it came across that way!

Thanks Steampunkette, you still have my undying love

To justicebeliever - I was just posting an example 2ndary, I apologize if that wasn't clear.

It wasn't clear to me, but it was clear to everyone else, so I apologize for not understanding.  Regardless, as I said, I was and am still +1 on the idea