Provoke & Taunt together?

Chalkarts

On 9/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, Chalkarts said:

for a Willpower tank, since they have such a crap taunt aura,

would it be worth taking both Taunt and Provoke and having both in my rotation?

I have Provoke and Taunt on my INV/DM Tank. They work great because you always have a taunt ready to fire in case some enemies try to take out your team members. I've saved many squishies this way. 

radiation melee has a secondary taunt aura that is a pretty decent aggro magnet in irradiated ground, although spine's quills are considerably better because they can actually slot generic Taunt IO's

Fire melee for tankers has combust, a power no other pure melee toon gets, which can taunt hugely if you 5 slot it with a set and use the 6th slot for taunt enhancement, no one will even notice you are willpower. Fire melee also has, by far, some of the best aoe of any tanker set. 1 slotted taunt combust at 50+5 will taunt an average of 1000 points with overlapping gauntlet auras for 20 seconds, and at 50 you will likely be able to add another 1000 points of taunt every 8 seconds or so. Most blasters with their MUCH lower aggro multiplier cannot even come close to overcoming that level of taunt if they give you the chance to apply it. Added to rise to the challenge, you might bnot be able to steal aggro from the ice tanker, but the brutes and scrappers won't be taking it away from you (a fact that Brutes absolutely hate). You won't have to add provoke with combustion.

Outside of that, well, willpower is known to have aggro issues.

Edited by Frostweaver

I remembered something that might help from back in the day.

" ...Rise to the Challenge from Willpower, which is another unique beast like Ice Armor, except in a very bad way. Every other taunt aura has a magnitude of four, this one has a magnitude of three. The real problem is the duration of 1.25 seconds, less than one tenth the duration of the other auras! Keep in mind that duration remaining is part of the threat formula, so this directly affects Willpower's ability to gain and keep aggro. The saving grace here is that Rise to the Challenge, unlike all other taunt auras, can stack with itself, but not without enhancement. Once you throw some taunt enhancement in here, it can stack up to a magnitude six taunt effect with over a two second duration. The extra magnitude helps to make up for the lack of duration, but you will have to lean more heavily on Gauntlet/Fury and the power Taunt."

https://dechskaison.blogspot.com/2011/06/last-rule-of-tanking.html

Dechs always did know his stuff.

So based on that, I'd be thinking 3 heal, 2 taunt and a dark watchers proc for RttC.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ankhammon said:

So based on that, I'd be thinking 3 heal, 2 taunt and a dark watchers proc for RttC.

I have My late game plan for RttC to have 3 triage & 3 Numinas for the health and regen.  

I may have to double up on the Taunt/Voke and just spam.

It's EM/WPR, so I don't have a ranged attack outside of Taunt.

If nothing else, put the Dark Watcher's Despair proc in it.  Having something like that in your aura improves your 'defense' by getting you attacked less often, and it is ticking constantly. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291