Bots/traps into the endgame

TheSpiritFox

The last time I played was before going rogue went live and you couldn't start a mastermind in atlas as a hero. So I did and now I'm level 37 thinking about patron pools and do I have to figure out getting access to the villain side or is there a hero pool with a solid area immob that works for a bots/traps aoe farmer? Pool recommendations welcome, but I really only need the widest, strongest immob I can come across to keep assholes in burn patches. If I need to switch I will absolutely do it. 

Also, can anyone give me any idea about the balance between like defense debuffing, resistance debuffing, tohit enhancing for the bots needed to keep DPS high on +4s? I'm thinking about softcapping first, then permaing hasten, and basically dumping mortars all over a map while farming with immob and aoe damage. I have 25-30 ios right now except like miracle and performance shifter to basically never think about endurance ever. I can figure out what set bonuses add up to what I want in mids later, I'm more thinking like should I slot mortar for more res or defense debuffs? Is tactics something I need to think about? How much help do the bots need to hit +4s? I've been erring on the side of just straight defense and the drones and assault are just 3 damage 3 accuracy right now. Protectors get 2 defense 1 accuraccy 3 damage. I'm just looking for what I should be looking to kit out in the coming levels. 

Regarding access to the Patron Pools, walk into Pocket D and cross over the villain's side (where it's all red).  There's a large box truck parked there and there's a seagull sitting on it.  Click on him and after a bit of preamble he'll tell you about his powers; one off them is changing your alignment - instantly!  Boom, you're a villain and can now cross over to do the arc to get that patron pool.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 hours ago, TheSpiritFox said:

any idea about the balance between like defense debuffing, resistance debuffing, tohit enhancing for the bots needed to keep DPS high on +4s

I can't address this specifically.  But when you hit 50 my suggestion is to get your Tier 3 Alpha Incarnate before you work on other Incarnate things.  It shouldn't take that long.   That will give your pets an extra level boost and make them significantly better against +4's.  I don't know the math behind getting their to hit rolls to 95%.  But a key piece will come into play down below when I talk about Tactics.  Generally, from my experience the needed to hit value will come with your actual set's used,  as long as you have 1 or preferably 2 Accuracty/xxxx or Accuracty/xxxx/zzzz  set pieces in there.   I usually shot for about 60-65ish percent enhancement. But I'm not sure of the math. Especially if you take in to account all the external modifiers that can come into play such as enemies that throw out a -tohit.   That is a lot of variables to take into account.  You can always purchase some unslotters for 125,000 inf and experiment.

Is tactics something I need to think about?

Yes!  Tactics is very sweet.   At the very minimum put the Guassian Build up Proc in there.   If you can I also suggest that you fully 6 slot it with the Gaussian set.   The build up proc has a higher chance to proc based on how many people/pets are in your group. So being a MM you have a nice proc chance advantage.   It will be up quite often!   Tactics will also increase the % chance that you pets will hit!  the build up proc when it goes off, however, will not affect your pets!

I'm thinking about softcapping first

Good idea!   You need defense.  Generally, to stay alive and contribute you need Health, and Endurance.  Soft capping Defense will help keep you alive.   A good note is that if you use the most recent version of Mids (follow the link in my signature and download that version, then when it is installed run the updater in it.  This will get you fully updated Mids. When you are working on your build this latest version will allow you to turn on the Protector Bot's shield and see what your MM's defense will be affected.)

I'm more thinking like should I slot mortar for more res or defense debuffs? 

If you can get your defense up where you need it, I would suggest this slotting for Caltops and Acid Mortar.  Caltops and Mortar offer some good Proc opportunities.  Doing this will enable some extra damage mitigation and turn the two abilities into more attack oriented abilities.   It will also enhance the -Res that Acid Mortar provides and also let your pets do more damage.  The overwhelming force proc knockdown will help in keeping the mobs in the burn patches.  How much so,  I can't really say as I've never actually tried it.  

Caltrops    
 (A) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
 (13) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
 (15) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)

Acid Mortar    
 (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (40) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
 (46) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
 (48) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
 (48) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage
 (50) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Regarding Hasten.    It is a nice tool, that is used to help ensure that your KEY abilities are available when you need them.  So it really comes down to how you play.   I dislike having to take it, but most builds really are enhanced by taking it.  That way you have your big offensive or defensive hitters up as much as possible.

- One final note, In the Defender Forum there is a Proc Monster Thread. Sir Myshkin and others did a lot of testing. On the first page is a Traps/Water build. Now of course it won't work as a direct translation for MM's.  But to get you started on "ideas"  you could take the Traps portion of that build load it up in Mids and then see what you can do with the Bots portion of the build to get it where you want it regarding Defense, Endurance, Recharge and other necessities.    

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7116-proc-monsters-the-new-offender/

Ok, ok,  one more final note:   The procs i mentioned above you can start testing them out early.  Buy the Attuned version of them,  they will then work from the minimum level of the set to level 50 and beyond.

Edited by SmalltalkJava

I would just like to point out the earlier comment in regards to Tactics and slotting Guassian Build up Proc, it really does benefit a MM, because the PPM are checked against the amount of people in yoru group and part, every 10 seconds. The MM will essentially have a really nice To Hit and Damage buff, but this will not Buff your pets damage in anyway. The Build up Proc for Pet Buffs is essentially given to you, that is why it fires off so much. Build up Procs needed to be slotted within the Pets themselves, it is a sweet investment for a MM, and will give you a reason to get a few primary damaging powers.

What CURSE said.   I stand corrected.   For some reason, i was thinking that the Build up proc in Tactics affected the pets.  It does not!    Just the Tactics bonus itself.  I corrected my wording in the prior post.

Edited by SmalltalkJava

How about something like this?

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Paste Bot Flea: Level 50 Technology Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Robotics
Secondary Power Set: Traps
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Battle Drones -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), EdcoftheM-PetDef(9), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(11)
Level 1: Web Grenade -- TraoftheH-Acc/Rchg(A), TraoftheH-EndRdx/Immob(46), TraoftheH-Acc/EndRdx(46), TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(48), TraoftheH-Acc/Immob/Rchg(48), TraoftheH-Dam%(48)
Level 2: Caltrops -- PstBls-Dam%(A), Rgn-Knock%(25), JvlVll-Dam%(31), Ann-ResDeb%(31), ImpSwf-Dam%(33)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(5), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(5)
Level 6: Equip Robot -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Acid Mortar -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), Ann-ResDeb%(11), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(25), PstBls-Dam%(42), JvlVll-Dam%(42), ShlBrk-%Dam(43)
Level 12: Protector Bots -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(13), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(21), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(21)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15), UnbGrd-ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), UnbGrd-Max HP%(19)
Level 16: Force Field Generator -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 20: Poison Trap -- GldNet-Dam%(A), UnbCns-Dam%(23), Lck-%Hold(23), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(37), NrnSht-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(42)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def(46)
Level 24: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Assault Bot -- SvrRgh-PetResDam(A), SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(27), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(29), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(31)
Level 28: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Seeker Drones -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 32: Upgrade Robot -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Trip Mine -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Arm-Dam%(37), Obl-%Dam(37)
Level 38: Triage Beacon -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Supremacy
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Robotic Drones Core Superior Ally
------------

5 hours ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I can't address this specifically.  But when you hit 50 my suggestion is to get your Tier 3 Alpha Incarnate before you work on other Incarnate things.  It shouldn't take that long.   That will give your pets an extra level boost and make them significantly better against +4's.  I don't know the math behind getting their to hit rolls to 95%.  But a key piece will come into play down below when I talk about Tactics.  Generally, from my experience the needed to hit value will come with your actual set's used,  as long as you have 1 or preferably 2 Accuracty/xxxx or Accuracty/xxxx/zzzz  set pieces in there.   I usually shot for about 60-65ish percent enhancement. But I'm not sure of the math. Especially if you take in to account all the external modifiers that can come into play such as enemies that throw out a -tohit.   That is a lot of variables to take into account.  You can always purchase some unslotters for 125,000 inf and experiment.

Yes!  Tactics is very sweet.   At the very minimum put the Guassian Build up Proc in there.   If you can I also suggest that you fully 6 slot it with the Gaussian set.   The build up proc has a higher chance to proc based on how many people/pets are in your group. So being a MM you have a nice proc chance advantage.   It will be up quite often!   Tactics will also increase the % chance that you pets will hit!  the build up proc when it goes off, however, will not affect your pets!

Good idea!   You need defense.  Generally, to stay alive and contribute you need Health, and Endurance.  Soft capping Defense will help keep you alive.   A good note is that if you use the most recent version of Mids (follow the link in my signature and download that version, then when it is installed run the updater in it.  This will get you fully updated Mids. When you are working on your build this latest version will allow you to turn on the Protector Bot's shield and see what your MM's defense will be affected.)

If you can get your defense up where you need it, I would suggest this slotting for Caltops and Acid Mortar.  Caltops and Mortar offer some good Proc opportunities.  Doing this will enable some extra damage mitigation and turn the two abilities into more attack oriented abilities.   It will also enhance the -Res that Acid Mortar provides and also let your pets do more damage.  The overwhelming force proc knockdown will help in keeping the mobs in the burn patches.  How much so,  I can't really say as I've never actually tried it.  

Caltrops    
 (A) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
 (13) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
 (15) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)

Acid Mortar    
 (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (40) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
 (46) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
 (48) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
 (48) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage
 (50) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Regarding Hasten.    It is a nice tool, that is used to help ensure that your KEY abilities are available when you need them.  So it really comes down to how you play.   I dislike having to take it, but most builds really are enhanced by taking it.  That way you have your big offensive or defensive hitters up as much as possible.

- One final note, In the Defender Forum there is a Proc Monster Thread. Sir Myshkin and others did a lot of testing. On the first page is a Traps/Water build. Now of course it won't work as a direct translation for MM's.  But to get you started on "ideas"  you could take the Traps portion of that build load it up in Mids and then see what you can do with the Bots portion of the build to get it where you want it regarding Defense, Endurance, Recharge and other necessities.    

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7116-proc-monsters-the-new-offender/

Ok, ok,  one more final note:   The procs i mentioned above you can start testing them out early.  Buy the Attuned version of them,  they will then work from the minimum level of the set to level 50 and beyond.

I'm...uhhh..gonna take like a day or two to absorb all this lol

To bionic flea, I would play with that a bit. Triage becon is taken early and such and it needs an AOE immob from the pool powers at the end, the one I know is lightning cages from mu, don't know the hero pools to know which to take I've heard school of sharks is decent though. Don't know how big the cone is, would need a pretty big one to compete with lightning cages though. 

I usually don't take caltrops, but when I had a bots/traps on live I barely started getting him ioed out and it was back when procs worked differently so dropping procs in the assault bot and battle drones output absolutely ridiculous dps and I was doing x8+3 almost alarmingly fast and was just having issues hitting +4s. I've also not played with poison trap much, if anyone farms with /traps I'd love to hear just about your method cause I mostly just use triage becon, acid mortar, and seekers and 6 slot each of them and I drop trip mines when I can. I took the teleport pool for TP foe and tp team to tankermind into groups or pull hard targets out of them. Hard to tp team into a group and lay trip mines lol.  Caltrops at low levels they just run out of it or get knockbacked out of it so it seemed pretty useless without an aoe immob to keep people in it. I always take triage beacon as soon as it comes up. Leveling is a nightmare without it and so is exemplaring. 

But I'm respeccing entirely out of the TP pool today to just take super jump, 3 slot it with jump increases, and take tactics and hasten instead. Currently 37 for reference. 

Also, key thing to think about, /recharge is important af. If it takes more time for acid mortar to recharge than to wipe a group and get to the next one, your farming is limited by mortar, not your dps or anything else. Mortar is what takes down bosses and lets your bots hit them reliably in my experience. What lets your bots damage them decently too . Getting acid mortar to a sub 30 second recharge is kinda important for farming. Especially when you're dropping 16 burn patches under a mob group 4 meters wide. Smalltalk procs in mortar is one of the things I can't agree with. Damage output is not the issue with bots, controlling your groups and keeping them IN the damage your bots do is.

Last thing, does anyone have a detailed like post about tohit and pets anywhere on the internet? How much they need to hit things? I don't know the math behind the enemy side on how hard it is to hit them and how much compensation is needed. I slot my bots for lots of accuracy rn, and I slot mortar for defense and recharge. I'm thinking about switching that to resistance and recharge to up my damage, but I don't know math wise if that'll affect their accuracy and how much DPS will improve or if it will. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox

That build eats +4 AVs and solos giant monsters with speed and ease.  It can solo +4/x8 missions but I prefer +2 or+3 because it's quicker and involves less bot resummoning.

Caltrops has the knockdown proc as well as several damage procs.  Things flop like fishies. 

I'm not a fan of triage beacon or spirit tree or any other location heal.  I took it mainly to mule Preventive Medicine set and rarely use it unless I'm stationary and someone is bringing stuff to me, say like on a Rikti Mother Ship Raid.  I've never had a problem staying alive or keeping the pets alive most of the time.  But if you like it earlier, by all means take it earlier.

The way I play it is run in to a group with Super Speed and stealth proc.  I've out run the bots and the critters can't see me.  Drop Poison trap and acid mortar.  Most things are held and debuffed as the bots roll in.  I web grenade bosses and possibly fire off caltrops, time bomb, and seeker drones if I'm fighting +4s or other hard target.

Of course, you have to play and build your own way but trust me, my build has everything I need.  If you tried it, I think you'd agree.

• Like 1