Suggestion: Strategic Arrow

biostem

Simply put, this is a control set that utilizes specialized arrowheads in order to dominate the battlefield.  The powers are thus:

1. Anchoring Arrow - You fire a specialized arrow that wraps your enemy's feet in strong steel cables and buries itself into the ground, thereby immobilizing them and dealing minor smashing damage.

2. Taser Arrow - You fire an arrow with a specialized stun module attached, which deals moderate energy damage to your enemy and holds them.

3. Fistful of Anchoring Arrows - Cone immobilize, similar to the 1st power.

4. Flashbang Arrow - You launch an arrow with a flashbang attached, which deals some initial smashing and energy damage, and disorients foes in a targeted AoE.

5. Neural Inhibitor Arrow - You launch an arrow with a specialized device attached, which interrupts your targets' mental processes in a small AoE, thereby confusing them.

6. Neural Amplifier Arrow - You launch an arrow at a targeted location which emits a beneficial field, thereby improving the regeneration and recovery of you or any friendly players that stand within its AoE.

7. Dampening Field Arrow - You launch an arrow with a special device attached, which drains the abilities of any enemy that stand within its AoE, thereby reducing their damage, attack rate, regeneration, and possibly even putting them to sleep.

8. Cryogenic Field Generator Arrow - You launch an arrow at the targeted location, which pulses with intense cryogenic energy, thereby encasing any enemies that pass by in ice.  Targeted AoE hold, moderate cold damage.

9. Gravitic Inversion Arrow - You loose an experimental gravity-reversing arrow at a targeted location, which pulse intermittently, thereby knocking enemies who get too close high into the air.  Deals moderate smashing damage.

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks for reading!

Edited by biostem
  • Like 4

Arrow control is a fine idea, but one with a straight buff and a straight debuff with a chance to sleep seems a little... awkward.

Trick Arrow as it stands is a fairly controlly Support set, so I really feel as though it should be pretty much solid control for stacking purposes. Especially since a Strategic Arrow/Empathy Controller would get 2 AoE Regen and 2 AoE Recovery buffs, essentially providing endless endurance and big regen.

I also think some of the individual powers, like Gravity Inversion Arrow, are a bit on the weird side, even for a comic book superhero game.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

I also think some of the individual powers, like Gravity Inversion Arrow, are a bit on the weird side, even for a comic book superhero game.

Your point is taken.  I was just thinking that I didn't want every power to be a gas canister or grenade.  You could just as easily explain it as launching explosives at your enemy's feet, and the blast sends them skyward.  One part of my thinking is I liked the idea of a location-based power that persists for a short while, and emits the effect intermittently for that duration, instead of a "fire it off then it's done" sort of affair.  I was also thinking that, since trick arrow lacks any buffs, that strategic arrow could sort of buck the trend...

I think an exploding arrow aimed at the ground would work just fine, sure. Or a group of them Rain of Arrows style that places a mess of Trip Mine equivalents down, each one with a knock-up effect.

How about instead of "Fistful of Anchoring Arrows" we do "Pinning Shots" with the character Pinning the enemies to the ground with Arrows? Still the same animation, but less "It's a ball and chain arrow!"

I think the Dampening Field Arrow could work if it functioned -primarily- as a Sleep with a Debuff tied to it.

But how about instead of Neural Amplifier Arrow we just do a straight up -attack- power? This powerset lacks a pet, so having a couple of DPS powers makes sense.

Needs Healing Arrow, dammit.

58 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

How about instead of "Fistful of Anchoring Arrows" we do "Pinning Shots" with the character Pinning the enemies to the ground with Arrows? Still the same animation, but less "It's a ball and chain arrow!"

Humbly suggest "Transfix."

On 10/3/2019 at 2:07 PM, Steampunkette said:

Well, the name was more to keep in line with the regular archery set, but sure, that's fine.

I think the Dampening Field Arrow could work if it functioned -primarily- as a Sleep with a Debuff tied to it.

Makes sense.  Sure!

But how about instead of Neural Amplifier Arrow we just do a straight up -attack- power? This powerset lacks a pet, so having a couple of DPS powers makes sense.

Hmm... I wonder how difficult it would be to implement something akin to a rain of arrows that deals moderate to heavy energy damage, while also applying a smaller radius, less potent version of transfusion and transference, emitted from all enemies hit?