Need assistance on ice controlling

Nafsmar

I am a blaster at heart. Now that the Halloween event is here my daughter has gotten very interested in the game. She loves the TOT aspect (gotta admit so do I). She has made a scrapper and I decided to make a support character to compliment her. I have chosen Ice control because I love the ice theme. I am most likely going to pair it with radiation(seems like this is a good all around secondary). Since I have never played a controller past lvl 10 I am looking for advice for either the Ice primary or Rad secondary(skippable powers, must haves etc). If there is a secondary that we will benefit from better please bring that to my attention. We will primarily duo but my hope is that we will eventually join TFs once we get the grasp of our characters. Ty for any advice you all give.

Rad is great with Ice. Dark Affinity is also great, probably better (it's a better all-around set... although Rad works very well with Ice, Dark is just better overall). But you don't need to switch from Rad to Dark, it's not a great difference.

For Rad, you want: Radiation Infection, Enervating Field, Accelerate Metabolism, and Lingering Radiation. The healing aura is also good though not as necessary, but it's a required pick for a Controller. Choking Cloud and EMP are also good powers, though they are skippable. Especially CC on an Ice (or Fire) Controller since they're already running high-cost toggles.

For Ice, you want the single-target Hold and Immobilize, Arctic Air, and Ice Slick, and of course Jack Frost when you get to it. If soloing you might have a use for the Sleep power but not on a team. The AoE Immob is not a bad power either, but it could be skipped. It's pretty useful, but also a high Endurance cost on a character running 3 expensive toggles (Arctic Air, Rad Infection, Enervating Field), so it can be skipped. Shiver is not a bad power generally, but superfluous with Lingering Radiation available. Like most other AoE Holds, Glacier has uses, but is mostly skippable.

I take Chilblain for damage and skip Frostbite, but I'm doing it wrong.

Ice uses Ice Slick that does knockdown.  But against clockwork and some others that turns into knockback.  Immobilize prevents knockback but not knockdown.  So if you use Frostbite to immobilize and then ice slick they are stuck on the slick and just keep falling down in place.

I enjoy /Rad more than Ice, but you’ll be a solid controller with that setup.

Typically when playing a character like that, I would  lay down the -ToHit debuff first, then follow up with Ice Slick, then the AoE immobilize to keep enemies locked in place and juggled. Keeping close enough to make enemies affected by Arctic Air is also a must. For harder targets, Enervating Field is there to tank their resistance. Lingering Radiation is a great AoE -Res debuff.

Accelerate Metabolism is a fantastic buff, and your daughter will be able to make good use of it for a Scrapper.