Energy Blast

Marshal Valor

I am wondering, is this worthless in PvP? I haven't PvP'ed in quite a bit, before IO's in fact. I am finding them overwhelming to be honest. I'm a little confused in how they function. I know about the rule of five and that's about it to be honest. Anyways, I am wondering if Energy Blast is viable or not. It used to be back in the day but who knows now. Also this is for a Sentinel AT.

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

Energy isn't great. It can work but sets like Ice, Beam, Psi, and Fire are going to give you better results.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

6 hours ago, Marshal Valor said:

I thought fire had some problems with slotting sets for PvP? I heard Ice does phenomenal damage when slotted with sets but I hate the color tinting and I just don't enjoy playing Ice at all. 

Fire doesn't have any secondary effects so you lose out on the ability to slot non-unique damage procs (the only one you'll have access to is the Glad Jav proc) but it works. PvP damage numbers mean you get into weird situations like Fire Blast doing more damage than Blaze, for example. Ice is a bit weird too - Bitter Freeze Ray is sort of worth it on a Sentinel because you're tough enough where its long animation time isn't as likely to get you killed, but Chilling Ray is an awful replacement for Freeze Ray and most of your damage is going to be in proc'd out Bitter Ice Blast but one attack isn't a good chain. For what it's worth you can change the tinting/color of powers now.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I am a fan of fire these days. The snipe changes were extremely helpful. There are situations where having an instant-snipe is extremely useful. I was playing a fire/poison last night in kickball, and I got a sizeable number of killshots with the snipe after the standard blaze to dominate chain. The only other set where I've been able to reliably do that is beam with lancer to dominate to penetrating, but with the animations being so much longer, you do sacrifice a certain degree of survivability.

I have also been playing both a fire/ta and a fire/plant blaster in zone and both are great. They are both great if you play to fire's strengths (high dps, medium-high burst).

Fire ain't dead.

Edited by barrier

i feel like there is some confusion on blaster vs sent atm... sentinels dont get snipes

having said that, all sentinel primaries kind of suck (except maybe ice), but it doesn't really matter because the epic holds from psi mastery and dark mastery are so good anyway, so yeah you can totally make energy work on a sentinel imo.

having said that, sentinels are in a bit of a weird place, while they are viable, you arent going to be as tanky as you may think you are, and your damage outside of the dark hold is really really limited (though with it up, your burst is insane), just a heads up

• Like 1