The Moraine - Make the sightings an event

Echo Night

I've long been trying to make a character based off of the ghost ship that appears in Independence Port and Talos Island.  I finally did by taking the name of the only "survivor" of the ship, Ryan Mallory (I hope this is okay?) When writing his back story, I got to thinking. Why isn't this an event? It could easily be made into one based off of the story presented here. https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Times/20041201 

You've got the AV in Captain Kale, the ship itself or FO Dole (maybe an EB.) You have the minions in the crew and even have the boss and lieut level mobs in the 30 "special" passengers. This would have to be taken out of IP since there is already an event there. Move it to Striga Isle (while also keeping the roaming version in Talos?) where the wreckage was found. You can even make this a rareish "tip" triggered mission event by doing missions in Talos or Striga. This would also be the perfect time to introduce actual underwater travel and combat. Once the event notification is given, players have a specific time to get to Striga and locate the ship, go 168 feet below the water line and destroy the ship (while it's being defended by Captain Kale, the ghosts and maybe aquatic life deranged from being so close to the ship) before it can surface for badges, loot w/e. Let it rise for more badges (AV kills, mob kills etc.) So that the event isn't over and done within 5 minutes, let it phase out and then back again in a different but close location once a certain threshold of damage is taken similar to Lusca.

The fact that the ship spawns and spits out ghosts along it's path surely justifies this as "event" level of the coolest factor. The lore that surrounds it needs to be expanded upon. What really was the cause for its disappearance and sinking? Was Captain Kale in with the mob? Who where the special passengers and what was the cargo Moraine was carrying? Why didn't either Captain Kale or FO Dole make a sailing plan? Why wasn't the cargo manifest inspected? So many questions that I really hope have not been answered yet because then I would have a sad face.

Thoughts?

Edited by Echo Night

Could be fun!
You could write a full package deal, and offer it to the Devs too.  Do such things as create the captain and first officer in AE, save the files, go in to Striga and jot down some /loc spots for spawn locations, write some content for it, and then package it all up and send it to the various Community Reps here on the forums.  The less work the Devs have to do themselves, the more likely they are to implement it, I'd imagine.

Bravo, welcome to the ranks of lore based RP. Sadly since HC has cracked down on copy righted and trademarked names, and technically all of coh is still NC soft property the old tradition of lore based characters is somewhat up in the iar. I am right there with you btw as most of my stable use names drawn from game lore. Sadly as yet no HC team member has commented on if names that would of been allowed on live like your own idea will be tolerated while the talks with NC soft and the goal of becoming legit are still under wraps and in the works.

As for expanding content as you suggest Im all for it. Any thing so driven by the lore is always needed imo.

2 hours ago, aethereal said:

I feel like if NCSoft wants to pursue a copyright claim against Homecoming, they don't need the pretense that you named your red-and-blue superstrength tanker "StatesDude."

We are not talking about parody names. But names like my own used here on the forum and in game. Back on live it was not merely tolerated but allowed and even encouraged by the devs and admin to make use of names found tucked away in the lore long forgotten. And yes its true NC soft doesnt need to use a character named bentley berkeley to justify pulling out the army of lawyer ninjas. However since the HC team has recently changed their position on names protected by copy right and costumes protected by trade marks there is no reason to simply assume those that are part of COH are not on that list of nopes.

Fun fact the day the content went live taht removed statesman as an in game living NPC I made Marcus Cole by purchasing a name change for a character Id planned to do just that with and it was approved because statesman was no longer a living interactive NPC and no longer attached to a dev.

Sadly someone beat me to that here on HC but such is the luck of the draw.

8 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Could be fun!
You could write a full package deal, and offer it to the Devs too.  Do such things as create the captain and first officer in AE, save the files, go in to Striga and jot down some /loc spots for spawn locations, write some content for it, and then package it all up and send it to the various Community Reps here on the forums.  The less work the Devs have to do themselves, the more likely they are to implement it, I'd imagine.

AE isn't something I've ever really gotten into, not even the farming or being farmed aspect of it. But, if that's what it would take to get this moving, I could get my hands dirty.

• Thanks 1

Homecoming is, right now, inherently massively infringing NCSoft's IP.  NCSoft has so far not murdered them with lawyers.  Homecoming does not, by mere virtue of its existence, infringe Disney/Marvel or Warner Brothers/DC's IP (or a host of other superhero rightsholders), and also those entities have no demonstrated track record of tolerance to Homecoming's existence.

I do not think that HC's policy against copyright-infringing characters is designed to prevent you from naming your character after obscure parts of City of Heroes lore.  It is about keeping the number of people who can at any moment sue Homecoming out of existence down to just one, NCSoft.