RAD/RAD Brute or Scrapper

Caol24

Rad melee's contamination mechanic (single-target damage has a chance to have an AoE effect) works best when enemies are tightly clumped together and rad armour has a taunt aura and buffs that act off nearby enemies, so I would say brute if you're teaming.

A scrapper would certainly be viable and I'd argue it doesn't make too much of a difference solo as you'll have all the aggro anyway.

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 hour ago, Gulbasaur said:

Rad melee's contamination mechanic (single-target damage has a chance to have an AoE effect) works best when enemies are tightly clumped together and rad armour has a taunt aura and buffs that act off nearby enemies, so I would say brute if you're teaming.

The problem that I've found with my Rad/Rad Brute is that while the attacks are powerful, they're also slower than other powersets, which means that you're more heavily dependent on keeping yourself surrounded with attackers in order to efficiently raise/maintain your Fury. On TFs, it's great -- run into the pileup around the tank and go to town -- but I've found that Fury fades quicker with Rad Melee as you do yourself out of attackers than it does with other powersets. It makes Scrappers, with their fixed-rate Critical chance, come up a little more to the good in comparison

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

The problem that I've found with my Rad/Rad Brute is that while the attacks are powerful, they're also slower than other powersets, which means that you're more heavily dependent on keeping yourself surrounded with attackers in order to efficiently raise/maintain your Fury. On TFs, it's great -- run into the pileup around the tank and go to town -- but I've found that Fury fades quicker with Rad Melee as you do yourself out of attackers than it does with other powersets. It makes Scrappers, with their fixed-rate Critical chance, come up a little more to the good in comparison

Thanks! That definitely makes sense for solo play. Appreciate the info!

I realize you're asking about a Brute or a Scrapper, but all I can say is my rad/rad tank is a beast. Brute's won't have as much inherent resistance, but I'm sure it's very good too. My rad/rad scrapper was fun, but it felt so much like a tanky build that I just rolled the tank - which is now my go-to TF/Raid/Trial character. 

These are my Rad/Rad Tank stats:

Rad Rad Tank.PNG

ArcID #125 Bloody Rainbow: Comic Con Fire Farm;  ArcID #2551 Comic Con Fire Farm: Cave Edition

ArcID #133 Comic Con S&L Farm;  ArcID #9911 Comic Con S&L Outdoor Edition

ArcID #2915 $Comic Con Fire Farm$ArcID #11612 $Comic Con Fire Farm Outdoor Map$

ArcID #16607 $Comic Con S&L Caves$ArcID #16610 $Comic Con S&L Outdoor$

4 hours ago, Haijinx said:

With the upcoming tanker changes, tanker might be a viable choice.

It also has regular absorb, very high regen/recovery and is also very proc-friendly as it uses a number of slow-recharge AoE attacks as part of its buffing routine. I think it'd be great as a tanker set. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

3 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

It also has regular absorb, very high regen/recovery and is also very proc-friendly as it uses a number of slow-recharge AoE attacks as part of its buffing routine. I think it'd be great as a tanker set. 

Can I push out decent damage as a tank though? Resistance, recovery, and etc. have never been a big concern as a solo player, but damage output certainly has been. 

2 hours ago, Caol24 said:

Can I push out decent damage as a tank though? Resistance, recovery, and etc. have never been a big concern as a solo player, but damage output certainly has been. 

It's nothing special for single target, but it really shines in AoE because you've got one DoT aura and two DoT clickies that take PBAoE procs (but are worth using without them). The single-target attack chain is a bit clunky, but it's workable. I'd say it's a bit of a late-bloomer, but when it gets there it really gets there. 

Even without the procs, it's pretty decent and I used mine in AE farms until I decided that was a boring waste of my time. 

4 hours ago, Caol24 said:

Having leveled a couple of tanks back in the day (and soloing one currently)...  You deal with the low damage output one or both of two ways:  1) keep your notoriety level modest.  2) be patient.

If you want Big Damage Numbers, roll a brute or a blaster.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)