New Island Rum Feature To Note

Manga

Island Rum will now attempt to verify the patch manifest URL's host names against a list of known good ones.

At first, those host names only include Closed Beta, Homecoming's official manifests, and Victory.  Others will be vetted and added to the known good list - which can be updated without changing the app - as they are discovered.

Because there are now multiple servers and manifests floating around out there, there is potential for someone to hand out a rogue manifest URL that can cause things to be installed on your computer that don't belong there.  Therefore, Island Rum will now filter those so you can only enter and see manifests which have been demonstrated to be safe.

Please let me know if any issues arise because of this new feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After the update today, Coh won't load.  I'm on a mac and no problems until about noon pacific today.  I updated earlier this morning and played.  about noon I took a break and after 2pm pacific could not start the game.  I press the blue arrow, get the green check mark, the green check stays up for about 15 seconds, disappears and then nothing.

I just tried to start up less than ten minutes ago, and my copy of Island Rum got caught in an endless loop of trying to download a zip file (of the update, I presume) then declaring access to the zip was denied and starting over again.  And over, and over, and...

6 minutes ago, LooneyToons said:

I just tried to start up less than ten minutes ago, and my copy of Island Rum got caught in an endless loop of trying to download a zip file (of the update, I presume) then declaring access to the zip was denied and starting over again.  And over, and over, and...

That sounds like wherever you had Island Rum installed, it doesn’t have user write access.  Running it from an administrator account is recommended.  If it behaves really stubbornly, re-download it from https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip for mac, or https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-win.zip For windows.

28 minutes ago, psquared007 said:

After the update today, Coh won't load.  I'm on a mac and no problems until about noon pacific today.  I updated earlier this morning and played.  about noon I took a break and after 2pm pacific could not start the game.  I press the blue arrow, get the green check mark, the green check stays up for about 15 seconds, disappears and then nothing.

Which macOS are you using, and Wine, Wineskin, or Cider?  I didn’t actually make any changes to the way the game is launched, so I’m not sure why it would do that.

I was running High Sierra up until about 20 minutes ago.  I'm now on Catalina.   I believe i'm usingWineskin.   I didn't change anything between 8am this morning and 2pm when it stopped.  Island Rum did appear to download some new files after lunch, before it stopped loading the COH Client.

Edited by psquared007

I found a "Wine" directory in my COH directory.  It appears to be version 4.0.1

My Island Rum build is 110120191

Since the upgrade to Catalina the only two options that are not grayed out in Island Rum are the 64 bit versions.

Edited by psquared007

1 hour ago, psquared007 said:

I was running High Sierra up until about 20 minutes ago.  I'm now on Catalina.   I believe i'm usingWineskin.   I didn't change anything between 8am this morning and 2pm when it stopped.  Island Rum did appear to download some new files after lunch, before it stopped loading the COH Client.

Move the Wineskin package out of /Applications.  It's not going to work with Catalina.

10 minutes ago, BuzzKilla said:

I am receiving this message after I login and select my server it brings me back to login and this message. I upgraded to Catalina when it came out and was playing up until late last night. I can't log in and I am really not sure what to do 😞 I am using IMac with Catalina now since it came out.

17A068EE-0D63-4CF7-B103-4C1477CFB2D6_4_5005_c.jpeg

That dialog is a dead giveaway that you should re-scan and let Island Rum download the latest patches.

• Like 1

I removed Wine Stable app and the only thing Wine related folders or files on my Mac is the Wine folder and subfolder that Island Rum downloads and installs.  I've made all hidden folders visible and I don't see any other files or folders labeled wine anywhere on my hard drive.

I even moved the "wine" folder in COH directory to trash and Island Rum re-downloaded and installed it back to where it was. 

Is there a log file I can forward?  I'm not getting any error messages.  After I click the blue arrow and get the green check, the check stays for about 15 seconds and goes away.  

Any other ideas? permissions, etc.?  Again this worked fine this morning after the first update was applied and had been working fine for the past few weeks.

Thanks Manga!

8 hours ago, psquared007 said:

I removed Wine Stable app and the only thing Wine related folders or files on my Mac is the Wine folder and subfolder that Island Rum downloads and installs.  I've made all hidden folders visible and I don't see any other files or folders labeled wine anywhere on my hard drive.

I even moved the "wine" folder in COH directory to trash and Island Rum re-downloaded and installed it back to where it was. 

Is there a log file I can forward?  I'm not getting any error messages.  After I click the blue arrow and get the green check, the check stays for about 15 seconds and goes away.  

Any other ideas? permissions, etc.?  Again this worked fine this morning after the first update was applied and had been working fine for the past few weeks.

Thanks Manga!

Also remove City of Heroes.app and CoH.app from /Applications if they are there.  There is a log, but the only thing it will tell me is which client it detected (if any) and where your install is located.  If you remove those two apps, there should only be the internal Wine client left, and if you installed in /Applications, that question is answered as well.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, MetaVileTerror said:

I don't use macs, but it's great to hear this sort of thing is on your radar and being addressed.  Security is just that important, after all.  Kudos.

I don't use Macs either, but I do use Island Rum...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, WestcoastWonder said:

I've had trouble launching from Island Rum. It says everything's there and it says Ready to Play, but when I hit play nothing ends up happening. I installed fresh this afternoon. Any ideas?

Most of the stuff to try is already above your post in this thread.  Good luck!

When the initial dust settled after score's release, tequila, and even creamsoda, I found out about island rum for macs, but then shortly after learned about a version of it for windows. I haven't had troubles on tequila for awhile, but I really loved how smooth island rum was. Please say I the only one who remembers this

No mud no lotus

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1613
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

1 hour ago, Blue Jay said:

When the initial dust settled after score's release, tequila, and even creamsoda, I found out about island rum for macs, but then shortly after learned about a version of it for windows. I haven't had troubles on tequila for awhile, but I really loved how smooth island rum was. Please say I the only one who remembers this

Never tried cream soda, it always struck me as someone throwing a tantrum, but yes, Island Rum for windows really seems to be the nicest smoothest most reliable launcher

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

• Widower unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later

I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling 3 diffrerent times.

Ive checked all the manifest information matches the current one needed.

1494882560_ScreenShot2020-01-14at7_11_56PM.png.e2f432906024c8779cf9d5adcbf476fd.png

And made sure Island Rum has directed to the CoH folder in Applications.1705108433_ScreenShot2020-01-14at7_12_50PM.png.5923c4345668dc9e53e30ba5c9af330a.png

358796739_ScreenShot2020-01-14at7_13_53PM.png.87899d47a6941b955ffa60cbb575c261.png

After a re-scan, I still cant get in.

I've tried what feels like everything. 

All that happens is it says its "Launching Homecoming 64-Bit" with the green check and then it vanishes (as normal).

224957116_ScreenShot2020-01-14at7_11_15PM.thumb.png.0581ca958a6eeb6ae53f3bb852ff3f9c.png

And then nothing...(and yes I've waited a looooong time.)

Im not amazingly computer savy, but I can work my way around my Mac for the most part...anyone have any idea what I may be missing?

I have never logged in before.

let me know if you need a better picture of my OS and Files.