Can't get into the base edit room...

DreamingLove

I disconnected the small room which allows me to edit the base from the rest of the base and now I can't edit my base. I have seen other people do this and previous I could have sworn I would zone into the small room as the SG leader each time I entered the base but now I enter where the portal is and I can't get into the small room which allows me access to the edit window. Have not been able to find any edit commands.

cohbasescreen.PNG

cohbasescreen.PNG

Edited by DreamingLove

• Community Rep

4 hours ago, RialVestro said:

The small room which allows you to access the edit window and the portal entrance are the same room. You can't move the portal out of this room (I've tried) so that seems impossible. You can however exit out of that window I think and then would need to go to the options to restore it possibly. I've never had this issue so unsure of what causes it in the first place.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  The "small room" must be the entrance room, where your portal starts out. You can indeed move the portal to another room, or even above or below the base, as long as the editor has something it recognizes as a floor to place the portal on. It's automatically oriented to the floor, and you cannot change this except through a random bug. If you've tried to move the portal and been unsuccessful, I suspect you did not first hit f3 to enable room clipping, which might have made it seem like you couldn't move the portal because it would have turned the box red if you were only partly out of the room.  If you had the mouse completely in another room and the portal still would not go, that would be strange, and please let me come take a look to help. To move the portal, you should click and hold the left mouse button, and then move the mouse so that the portal is placed where you want it (again, there must be a floor under this for it to put the portal there).

4 hours ago, RialVestro said:

You can however exit out of that window I think and then would need to go to the options to restore it possibly.

However, here is where you lose me. Quit out of what, the editing window? You should not need to go to options to get back to editing, in fact, you can't restore that window from options.

I can't remember which video went into getting in and out of editing and the entrance room when it's disconnected to the rest of the base, but here's the print version for @DreamingLove:

When you enter the base, you will enter where the portal is, whether that is in the entrance room or elsewhere. If you have moved the entrance portal away from the entrance room, all you need to do is type /editbase 1, and the computer will send you back to the entrance room. You won't have to click the window buttons at that point, because you will already be in editing mode.  Type /stuck to then get into the base, and this will take you back to the portal. When you finish editing, you will be returned to the entrance room, which will not have the portal if you moved it. So again, although you make simply quit the game from here, if you want to leave the base and enter the game, simply type /stuck again, and you will be back in the base at the entry portal, ready to use base facilities or leave to a city zone. If you want to edit the base plot, you must do so from the entry room, so if it's separate from the rest of the base, and you enter elsewhere, simply enter base editing mode again, leave editing mode, and the editor will drop you back at the entrance room, where you can now choose to edit the base plot.

I hope that clears things up for you.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Dacy said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  The "small room" must be the entrance room, where your portal starts out. You can indeed move the portal to another room, or even above or below the base, as long as the editor has something it recognizes as a floor to place the portal on. It's automatically oriented to the floor, and you cannot change this except through a random bug. If you've tried to move the portal and been unsuccessful, I suspect you did not first hit f3 to enable room clipping, which might have made it seem like you couldn't move the portal because it would have turned the box red if you were only partly out of the room.  If you had the mouse completely in another room and the portal still would not go, that would be strange, and please let me come take a look to help. To move the portal, you should click and hold the left mouse button, and then move the mouse so that the portal is placed where you want it (again, there must be a floor under this for it to put the portal there).

However, here is where you lose me. Quit out of what, the editing window? You should not need to go to options to get back to editing, in fact, you can't restore that window from options.

I can't remember which video went into getting in and out of editing and the entrance room when it's disconnected to the rest of the base, but here's the print version for @DreamingLove:

When you enter the base, you will enter where the portal is, whether that is in the entrance room or elsewhere. If you have moved the entrance portal away from the entrance room, all you need to do is type /editbase 1, and the computer will send you back to the entrance room. You won't have to click the window buttons at that point, because you will already be in editing mode.  Type /stuck to then get into the base, and this will take you back to the portal. When you finish editing, you will be returned to the entrance room, which will not have the portal if you moved it. So again, although you make simply quit the game from here, if you want to leave the base and enter the game, simply type /stuck again, and you will be back in the base at the entry portal, ready to use base facilities or leave to a city zone. If you want to edit the base plot, you must do so from the entry room, so if it's separate from the rest of the base, and you enter elsewhere, simply enter base editing mode again, leave editing mode, and the editor will drop you back at the entrance room, where you can now choose to edit the base plot.

I hope that clears things up for you.

-Dacy

This was perfect. Thank you for taking the time to help me 🙂

• Like 1

• Community Rep

The trick of changing the entry attachment is a bug, and I showed that it could happen; I'm sorry, at that time, it was working pretty consistently and I was not clear enough that this is not a constant (it's not just that item, you can change the alignment of the next item you grab; the orientation will become the orientation you -set- on the last item you placed). But, it doesn't always work, and you do not need that to place the entry portal. I assure you, it should be entirely possible to move the entry portal anywhere there is a floor. May I come to your base and try to do that for you? No, you cannot change the orientation on that item, even if you effectively have through that bug, it will still tell you you cannot change it. But you -can- move it.

Ah, thank you for explaining the UI issue, I understand now. However, the issue he's having was not related to losing the window, it was related to the programming mechanics of base editing, i.e, the editor can only be accessed through the entry room unless you do the slash command.

-Dacy

• Community Rep

Oh, and note on further explanation of the effects of the /editbase 1 command: if you enter the base, enter editing mode, leave editing mode, and then enter editing mode again, the second (and every time after this until you exit the base) time you give the /editbase 1 command, you will -not- go back to the entry room, you will stay where you are, now in edit mode. However, you will always return to the entry room when you exit the base editor.

Don't forget, you will need to reset your f1, f2, and f3 keys each time you enter the editor to the settings you prefer.

-Dacy

• Community Rep

I am offering. I have a character on Excelsior for base editing, but she is actively in a sg to edit their base; I will make another shortly and come see what I can do for you. 🙂

-Dacy

14 hours ago, RialVestro said:

You can do that with any other item in the base EXCEPT the Entrance portal. I tried the exact same trick you taught me to move other items with the Entrance Portal. Pressing f5 rather than cycling through floor, wall, ceiling, surface like every other object does instead just comes up with an error message saying this object can not be reoriented.

You can't orient the entrance portal on the floor or ceiling or wall by using F5.  You most certainly can move it out of the entrance room though.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, Rathulfr said:

/edit_base 1

No under_score. 

It is 

/editbase 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

4 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

No under_score. 

It is 

/editbase 1

Um, actually, both work.  The underscore is optional, and useful for readability.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• Community Rep

Yeah, the programming allows you to use either an underscore to connect words, or to write them with no space and no  underscore; it treats either the same, in any command. 🙂

-Dacy