Bug Hunter...

Ukase

My understanding of the Bug Hunter badge is that it's rarely given out. And only for a player who finds a "game-breaking" bug. Before the close, I only know of one person who got this badge, and that was Beefcake. I'm sure a few others got it, but I wasn't aware of them, or don't recall them. 

My questions are these: does it have to be an exploit? And what does "game-breaking" actually mean? As we all know, almost all of us have seen/experienced various bugs - but whether they were game breaking is up for speculation. 

Additionally, this badge is supposedly awarded manually to players who report said bugs, and in the past, were more likely to get the badge awarded if they didn't ask for it, than if they did. But we have new devs now. Do we have anyone who's gotten this yet? Are they allowed to say what for, so we might have an example? 

I had the badge prior to sunset on my Force Field/Dark Blast Defender.  I reported a bug that allowed you to infinitely duplicate INF, pretty easily as well.  Start with 10,000 INF, double it to 20,000.  Then double that to 40,000.  Then double that to 80,000, etc.  One of my SG mates has Bug Hunter now, although I'm not exactly sure for what.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I had the badge prior to sunset on my Force Field/Dark Blast Defender.  I reported a bug that allowed you to infinitely duplicate INF, pretty easily as well.  Start with 10,000 INF, double it to 20,000.  Then double that to 40,000.  Then double that to 80,000, etc.  One of my SG mates has Bug Hunter now, although I'm not exactly sure for what.

I'd be curious to know if it was account wide, or just on one character. And if it was related to inf or reward merits or some other in game currency. 

10 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I'd be curious to know if it was account wide, or just on one character. And if it was related to inf or reward merits or some other in game currency. 

Prior to sunset, it was just one character.  I remember The Ocho asked me which of my characters I wanted the badge on.

• Like 1

• 1 year later
On 11/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, Ukase said:

My understanding of the Bug Hunter badge is that it's rarely given out. And only for a player who finds a "game-breaking" bug. Before the close, I only know of one person who got this badge, and that was Beefcake. I'm sure a few others got it, but I wasn't aware of them, or don't recall them. 

My questions are these: does it have to be an exploit? And what does "game-breaking" actually mean? As we all know, almost all of us have seen/experienced various bugs - but whether they were game breaking is up for speculation. 

Additionally, this badge is supposedly awarded manually to players who report said bugs, and in the past, were more likely to get the badge awarded if they didn't ask for it, than if they did. But we have new devs now. Do we have anyone who's gotten this yet? Are they allowed to say what for, so we might have an example? 

Sorry for the necro, I was searching the forums for something else, but I thought I'd share this with you. You can assist in beta testing builds before they go live to gain this badge. Jimmy has made it known that the dev team are willing to give out Bug Hunter to individuals who support testing and feedback of builds. The difference between the live version of the badge and the one given out on Homecoming is that it isn't visible to other players in their Badge list - only to the players viewing their own badge list. You can set it as your title badge though!

Edit: It is also not account wide. It is given to the player via an in-game email. Whoever claims that attachment gets the badge.

unknown.png

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The difference between the live version of the badge and the one given out on Homecoming is that it isn't visible to other players in their Badge list - only to the players viewing their own badge list. You can set it as your title badge though!

Interesting! i thought it was always invisible (except in badge count).

As a badger, I totally understand the desire to get this badge.  I think, though, that badges that are unattainable by pretty much the entire player base is not really a good thing.

I am only just over 1k badges ,and I could care less about being the most badgey-ist badger evah. BUT to a lot of people, getting ALL the badges is important, and there should be a way (or no bug hunter badge)?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tahliah said:

Interesting! i thought it was always invisible (except in badge count).

As a badger, I totally understand the desire to get this badge.  I think, though, that badges that are unattainable by pretty much the entire player base is not really a good thing.

I am only just over 1k badges ,and I could care less about being the most badgey-ist badger evah. BUT to a lot of people, getting ALL the badges is important, and there should be a way (or no bug hunter badge)?

Hey thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, players can be awarded this badge, it is not out of reach or unobtainable - in fact many players have it and continue to be awarded it. The link I had in my previous post shows over a dozen players receiving the Bug Hunter badge for their efforts in supporting testing beta and alpha Page and Issue builds. This method is the only way I know to receive Bug Hunter on the live shards.

To provide further context, I enjoy finding bugs and exploits in this great game. I did a lot of searching for geometry errors because it was (and honestly still is) a hobby of mine. That evolved in to testing out changes on the Beta shard out of both curiosity and convenience. I read a post one day from Jimmy saying that testers were needed to help support the dev team, so I showed up and started focusing on what needed looked at and tested. From their I became more involved in the process and reporting my findings until one day I was awarded the badge. My anecdote mirrors the same method as other folks who have received this badge in the past, though some have been awarded it outright for reporting serious exploits on the Live shards.

All that to say that it is not out of reach of the average player, and best of all it is a nice incentive for players to support testing - which honestly rewards the rest of the community by making the game better for everyone!

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 2 weeks later
3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

I didn't think it counted towards your badge count.

Correct, it does not count towards the overall badge count. So there are 1550 badges counted in game currently, but there are 1552 total badges (Bug Hunter & Flames of Promethius) which can be acquired.... for those who are willing to switch sides and catch em all (More if you are on the beta shard...)

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour