Corr or Def?

Mythcreatio

This particular combination works well on both Corruptors and Defenders.

Ice Blast is fantastic on a Corruptor and benefits from Scourge. Storm Summoning is strongest on a Defender.

I would personally choose to make this character a Defender for a few reasons. First, I would expect that the majority of my damage would come from Storm Summoning, and the Defender version of the power set deals more damage. Second, Steamy Mist and Freezing Rain are stronger on the Defender version. Finally, it is easier to reach the defense and resistance soft caps on a Defender because of their archetype modifiers.

You will have a good character no matter which route you choose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modest makes extremely good points.

I would personally play the character as a Corrupter. The slow in Ice Blast doesn’t really feel like it gives enough benefit for me to give up the bonus damage from Scourge at higher levels, but either way the character is going to be solid.

• 1 month later
On 11/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, modest said:

This particular combination works well on both Corruptors and Defenders.

Ice Blast is fantastic on a Corruptor and benefits from Scourge. Storm Summoning is strongest on a Defender.

I would personally choose to make this character a Defender for a few reasons. First, I would expect that the majority of my damage would come from Storm Summoning, and the Defender version of the power set deals more damage. Second, Steamy Mist and Freezing Rain are stronger on the Defender version. Finally, it is easier to reach the defense and resistance soft caps on a Defender because of their archetype modifiers.

You will have a good character no matter which route you choose.

Is this tested true? I would expect the corr to do alot more damage because of lower attack modifiers for defender attack powers. I think those modifiers are to the class, not just the powerset. Defenders get better buff and debuff numbers absolutely, the buffs and debuffs from storm will be better, the healing on O2 boost will be higher, but I would expect corruptor storm to do way more damage between scourge and a higher damage modifier. 

2 hours ago, TheSpiritFox said:

Is this tested true? I would expect the corr to do alot more damage because of lower attack modifiers for defender attack powers. I think those modifiers are to the class, not just the powerset. Defenders get better buff and debuff numbers absolutely, the buffs and debuffs from storm will be better, the healing on O2 boost will be higher, but I would expect corruptor storm to do way more damage between scourge and a higher damage modifier. 

You can see the results of my testing in the Pylon thread. There is also a lengthy thread in the Defender subsection of the forums where quite a lot of people have tested Storm Summoning on both Defenders and Corruptors.

I would bet on Defender, but it depends on a few things, like how much you want to try to softcap and incorporate procs. 

Ice Blast is very effective on a Corruptor due to the Scourge effect on rain powers. However, Storm offers damage through its Tornado and Lightning Storms, which do not benefit from Scourge, and technically Defender Lightning Storm does more damage at base, although not a whole lot (44 base vs 40 base).

Solo, the Storm Defender gets a +30% damage bonus, which further improves Tornado and Lightning Storm. These powers come very early (26 and 32) and will likely form the foundation of the character. 

Defenders get more Defense and Resistance than Corruptors. You start with base 5 Defense from Steamy Mist (vs a Corruptor's 3.5), which is about 7.5 Defense to all with 2 Defense IOs. Weave provides an additional +5 (7.5 IOed) so assuming you take both powers you start with a respectable +15 Defense to all as a foundation. Once you've achieved your armor goals, you can add procs in places you see fit. 

• Thanks 1