Storm Summoning/

Xadoe

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice here!

I really want to make a nicely themed Storm Summoning/??? Defender, but I'm not set on what to choose as my secondary.

My initial thought is electricity - because thunderstorms are epic - but I think with the incarnate abilities the endurance drain/gain isn't super useful (since you can get tons of endurance anyway).

Any general build advice would be great as well!

My main is a level 50+ Mind/Pain Controller (So crowd control and healing with some buffs), and I'm definitely a support junky (and the fact that storm has an okay heal-other is a huge attraction for me - I love off-healers), but I don't know which blast set is necessarily going to suit me best.

I know sonic is highly praised, but honestly was originally one of my least favorites aesthetically, though now that you don't have to use the screaming animation, it might not be too bad, I could just pretend it's an air blast or something haha.

While Electricity may be thematically appropriate, it isn't a particularly good blast set overall and there's no real synergy between it and Storm Summoning.

In terms of Blast sets, I'd rank them (for power-gaming, not thematic appropriateness):

1. Sonic. This leads the list for all Defender builds, but it's really above and beyond with Storm Summoning. Because Storm Summoning does so much damage in primary, amplifying that damage via your secondary puts it into the stratosphere for single target damage - I'm not sure that Storm/Sonic Def is the highest single target support build but it's definitely in contention.

2. Ice. This does less damage than Fire, but it's got Holds and a better ultimate attack.

3. Fire. For anyone with a Blast set, Fire is always on the list for its raw damage potential.

4. Dual Pistols. This doesn't have the damage potential of the above three sets, but it's a generally solid Defender set with a versatile set of debuffs.

5. Beam Rifle. Another 'Defender' set due to the debuffs, I don't think it works particularly well here but is worth mentioning.

Water is thematically appropriate, but it really starts to lag at high levels.

For Storm Summoning:

Skip:

Gale. This is a slow activation, low damage power that has better versions in many of the blast sets.

Snowstorm. I think people imagine this power to be a lot better than it is. In 99% of cases, it's simply redundant with Freezing Rain. In the case of fliers, it's a nice idea - but it stops working around level 35 when -1.6 Fly is no longer sufficient to ground most enemies and you need either a higher magnitude -Fly or repeated applications (impossible with a toggle) of a -1.6 Fly ability. Because Storm Summoning is so ground-dependent, being able to ground fliers is important but you'll either need an Epic/Patron Power for this or rely on allies who can do it far better than you.

Thunder Clap. Another terrible power. A MAG 2 PBAoE Disorient really does nothing for you except potentially get you killed.

Coinflip:

O2 Boost. I think it would be foolish not to take this on a Defender and it gives you slotting opportunities for the heal sets. However, some people don't like taking purely 'ally' powers like this.

Take:

Steamy Mist. This is your best source of defense and a good place for defense/resist IO set one-offs. It does require significant endurance reduction to keep running.

Freezing Rain. A core power of the set. It can be slotted for damage, but it isn't a significant source of damage. I prefer to simply slot slow/recharge.

Hurricane. This is a lot less useful at higher levels (where many enemies stroll through the repel easily), but it's still a massive hit debuff. 4-slotting DWD seems standard.

Tornado. Another core power, I like 4-slotting Expedient Reinforcement with KB->KD and Force Feedback proc. It's a major source of damage, but the knockback has to be reduced.

Lightning Storm. The last of the core powers, it's just another single target nuke - admittedly one with a huge dpa. It gets less use than Tornado because it's a static emplacement that has value due to its long duration.

In terms of pools:

Speed: This is almost universally taken for Hasten, but Super Speed + IO Stealth transforms your minor Stealth to complete invisibility.

Leadership: It's hard to justify a Defender without this pool and it also has two places to slot LotG recharge. Victory Rush can also help ameliorate endurance issues in long fights (albeit not long fights against single tough bosses).

Jumping: Combat Jumping is a fantastic power. It's low endurance for a decent amount of universal defense. The rest of this pool isn't all that great. Super Jump is generally a waste of a power - if you can't get some place with Super Speed + Combat Jumping, you probably can't get there with Super Jump either. Acrobatics is tempting, but it's an end-heavy way to get Hold protection (KB protection is available via IO).

Medicine: A tempting pool for a set that can't self-heal. However, between health/ATO procs, inspirations and high defense, self-healing becomes less of an issue. The healing in this pool is just terrible.

Presence: Nothing worthwhile here.

Fighting: Another tempting pool. However, you need to throw away a power on Boxing/Kick to get access to defenses that, frankly, you probably don't need and can't afford end-wise. However, it's understandable that builds include this.

Teleportation: I think this entire tree has been mostly been rendered superfluous by prestige powers. The only power that really retains its overall utility would be Teleport Foe - and while you can play some neat tricks with Hurricane, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

Flight: The main reason to take this is for Hover and the two LotG slotting opportunities. You don't actually need to fly - prestige powers can manage that - but Hovering is incredibly valuable for the combination of defense and low end cost.

Sorcery: The reason to take this pool is Rune of Protection (basically a re-usable Break Free). However, you effectively have to throw away two powers to reach it because no one really fights in Mystic Flight and you can simply replace its travel value with a prestige fly pack.

For Epic/Patron Pools, I think most of the traditional choices are poor. You don't really want to be flying into a mob of enemies to Soul Drain them, for example.

Mace Mastery is probably the best choice if you can deal with low S/L resists. My Storm/Sonic in Mace Mastery config has capped S/L/E and capped Ranged, so there's almost nothing that bothers him (there aren't all that many melee attacks without a slashing, lethal or energy component). However, the key feature here is an AE -10 Fly Immobilize. Not only does it contain some of your chaos, but it fixes those problems with enemies who refuse to land.

Leviathan Mastery is also an option, with a single target (repeatable) -1.6 Fly Hold, a Cone Immobilize and Hibernate (self-healing).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Epic Pools, I suggest one with a good End management power. For this reason I like Power Mastery and Mu Mastery. Mu also adds a pet.

Another good option is Dark Mastery... Thunderclap may not seem like a good power. Nor does Oppressive Gloom. Now, pair them together and you have perma-AoE mezzing at Mag 4. It also has a decent PBAoE End regain power.

I agree with /Sonic as being far and away the best secondary for Storm. Multiplying Storm's damage by the approximately 100% -Resist that Sonic can maintain on a single target makes Storm/Sonic a good candidate for highest sustained ranged DPS in the game, while also adding a stacking Disorient that can again make Thunderclap useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I just created my first Defender- Storm/Fire. I thought a "firestorm" theme sounded cool and wanted to make use of the Freezing Rain/Rain of Fire Combo. This would be a character that levels solo and in teams, so some flexibility is ideal. After comparing different options (Fire/Fire Blaster, Fire/Storm Corruptor, Storm/Fire Defender, and Fire/Storm Controller) I settled on the Defender because I gathered the difference in damage between the Corruptor and the Defender while solo is negligible due to the 30% buff from Vigilance and the increased effect of buffs/debuffs.

I'm trying to find some better guidance on Storm/Fire Defender, of which there is almost none! Your post, above, is one of the most comprehensive and relevant summaries of Storm/ I've been able to locate. I was looking through your post history and saw that you seem to be really informed about Defenders/Corruptors so I thought I would get your opinion on the character I made. It seems like Fire doesn't lend itself to Defenders' perks. Will I be better off re-rolling as a Corruptor for the improved performance of Scourge on the Rain of Fire chip damage? What abilities in the Fire Blast set would you take or skip?

Thanks!

I'm trying to find some better guidance on Storm/Fire Defender, of which there is almost none! Your post, above, is one of the most comprehensive and relevant summaries of Storm/ I've been able to locate. I was looking through your post history and saw that you seem to be really informed about Defenders/Corruptors so I thought I would get your opinion on the character I made. It seems like Fire doesn't lend itself to Defenders' perks. Will I be better off re-rolling as a Corruptor for the improved performance of Scourge on the Rain of Fire chip damage? What abilities in the Fire Blast set would you take or skip?

Take Flares, Blaze, Blazing Bolt, Rain of Fire, Fireball and Inferno. Aim is up to you. There's a long post on the Corruptor forums detailing a Fire/Time/Dark Corruptor that contains most of what you'd need to know about Fire.

In terms of Corruptor vs. Defender, I'd generally call Fire a 'Corruptor set' because there's no particular advantage in taking it as a Defender. However, I'd also call Storm Summoning a 'Defender set' because it tends to be more effective for Defenders. So it's a bit of a wash.

• Like 1

Take Flares, Blaze, Blazing Bolt, Rain of Fire, Fireball and Inferno. Aim is up to you.

I use Fire Breath and Aim but I'm going off my old Fire Blaster AOE build (Might be outdated).  I have been popping AIM before going into Freezing Rain / RoF/ Thunderclap.  With the -Def from rain and AIM Thunderclap seems to be landing okay.

Cocoon: Forcefield/Rad/Def: Indomitable

For Storm Summoning:

Coinflip:

O2 Boost. I think it would be foolish not to take this on a Defender and it gives you slotting opportunities for the heal sets. However, some people don't like taking purely 'ally' powers like this.

Agree with everything said above, just wanted to add that O2 Boost also provides Endurance Drain resistance, one of the few buffs to do so.  This comes in VERY handy against enemies like Clockwork or Croatoa Witches, especially if you're running TFs like Synapse or Katie Hannon.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

Agree with everything said above, just wanted to add that O2 Boost also provides Endurance Drain resistance, one of the few buffs to do so.  This comes in VERY handy against enemies like Clockwork or Croatoa Witches, especially if you're running TFs like Synapse or Katie Hannon.

It's actually a much better heal than people often give it credit for. While it's small, it recharges more quickly than other single target heals and additionally removes status effects. As a result, wakies are far more useful with you around (since you can get the player up more quickly by removing the stun component). While other support sets have anti-status effect powers, they're rarely taken.

However, it remains an ally-only power that does nothing to benefit the player using it (other than slotting opportunities).

• Like 2

No love for Dark Blast?  The strong, hard-hitting self heal seems useful and Dark Pit can stack with Thunder Clap (and Oppressive Gloom from the ancillary) to give you THREE AoE stuns, any two of which can be stacked to stun bosses...that's starting to be useful.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lots of good info here. I’d like to add my two cents. I played a Storm / Electric on live until I7, now I play a Storm / Dark. I find that the tentacles and self heal really shore up the Storm summoning set. My playstyle is a heavy debuffing, soft controling, moderate damage dealing spot healer. I really enjoy having such an active role in groups, I’m always busy and setting up the atmosphere of extreme elements is very dynamic. There is so many different ways that I can approach groups of enemies that I never get bored.

In praise of snow storm, I find it a very useful particle heavy power that can do some different things for me, and when I lay down to sleep, I always drift off thinking about turning the toggle on and watch mobs crawl. It’s gorgeous, and it functions well as an excellent debuff for incoming mobs. Things tend to look a lot less scary when they are snared. How bout them caves?! Snowstorm works well in setting up a secondary area of destruction when your group comes to a T intersection and your tank goes right and there is a second group on the left. I try to split up the debuffs to create effects on both groups. Using Freezing Rain on the right group, snow storm and tentacles on the left. Lightning storm in the middle. Tornado to the right, and start pushing the left group with hurricane to the center where I’m about to lay down a new freezing rain.

The biggest reason I chose dark is for the tentacles, because each Defender set does something quite special. People often can overlook Storm Summoning, or call it the jack of all trades set, but I believe our best asset is positioning. Being able to throw tentacles and then push mobs anywhere with hurricane while actively debuffing them, or other areas of the mobs at the same time really gives me a feeling of putting in work. I did change the colors of the tentacles to be green to sort of resemble vines.

The self heal is strong damage ability, and does a good job. It recharges about as fast as o2 boost.

If I’m being honest, it gives me great pleasure seeing mobs flat on their backs being pummeled by lightning storm and tornado, not being able to hit group members from the -to hit debuffs from tentacles and or hurricane, their recharge shot to sh*t from snowstorm. I imagine that the ranged damage dealers are happy they are hitting harder from freezing rain’s resistance debuff.

I would advise not taking tornado until you are ready to slot KB > KD either through overwhelming Force or sudden acceleration. I also use KB > KD in lightning storm and hurricane. I find that the introduction of sudden acceleration is a huge quality of life boost to Storm Summoning.

It’s hard to say one way or another about how to play Storm Summoning, as some people love stacking the stuns from thunder clap with other secondary powers or epic power pools. It is so versatile on how you can achieve victory using different play styles. You can sit at the back of the group with hurricane always on, keeping o2 boost on everyone. You can focus on damage, you can really play this power set as actively or passively as you want with great effect. Though scattering mobs to the winds is frowned upon in group content and sometimes you’ll be passed over for invites because people don’t spend the time to ask you about your playstyle. I think anyone could have fun with the power set after they learn how the different mechanics synergize.

I think thematic Storm Summoners are fun, and if you want to choose a secondary that fits a design, you should go for it. Regardless of the number crunching, there is fun and excitement to be found.

I would like to point out that Storm Summoning is probably not the best secondary for Corrupters. As your lightning storm and tornado do not benefit from the scourge bonus. It’s probably great fun, but I figure there are better options that use the corrupters innate abilities better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would like to point out that Storm Summoning is probably not the best secondary for Corrupters. As your lightning storm and tornado do not benefit from the scourge bonus. It’s probably great fun, but I figure there are better options that use the corrupters innate abilities better.

This is a good write up.

I go back and forth about the above quote, though.  Though it's true that Tornado/LS don't benefit from Scourge, you could say the same thing about more or less every other buff/debuff set's crowning powers, which will also tend to be (slightly) stronger on Defenders. 

It's also true that Defenders' Vigilance helps Tornado/LS; this is a pretty significant advantage in solo scenarios.  In team scenarios, the situational end discount from Vigilance can help too, which is worth mentioning because Storm builds tend to be extremely end-heavy.  (LS is also ~10% stronger on Defenders to begin with; its strikes do ~44 base damage versus 40 for Corruptors.  Tornado, sadly, appears to be the same for both ATs.)

And of course, Defenders get the signature Storm powers a lot earlier, which is a big plus both when leveling and when exemplaring later.

On the other hand, I want to emphasize that Vigilance does not fully compensate for the Corruptor's damage advantage; I've seen that claim a few times recently (not in Borias' excellent post, but around).  Given standard 95% damage slotting, the full solo-damage buff from Vigilance is worth 30 / 195 = 15.4% net.  This exactly matches Corruptors' damage-scalar advantage (0.75 / 0.65 = 1.154) - but there are a couple of big caveats.  First, we are not limited to 95% damage slotting; as +damage rises, Vigilance's net value will fall.  And of course there's Scourge, which is worth up to 30% net, though probably a lot less than that in practice, given that we spend so much time fighting low-HP minions.  Regardless of where you peg Scourge's net benefit, though, it's significant.

Much as I love me some Lightning Storm, the truth is that a Corruptor's extra blast damage will tend to overshadow the Defender's damage advantage on Lightning Storm.  LS is absolutely beautiful, but it really only shines in long fights against hard targets.  Tornado is a little more generally useful to both ATs, because it's quicker to cast, far faster at delivering its damage, and (at least to a degree) mobile.  (Its knockdown is a huge mitigation tool too, obviously.)

All of this is a long way of saying I'm stumped.  The answer, I've found, is to roll both.  You can never have too much Storm in your life, after all.  I'd say if you want to pair Storm with a strong DPS blast set, e.g. Ice or Fire Blast, then Corruptors are probably better.  If you want to pair Storm with a debuff heavy blast set like Dark or Sonic, then Defenders are certainly better.

I'll end this rambling monstrosity of a post by saying a few big "Amens" on the subject of Sudden Acceleration.  Talk about a game changer. 

• Thanks 1

Much as I love me some Lightning Storm, the truth is that a Corruptor's extra blast damage will tend to overshadow the Defender's damage advantage on Lightning Storm.  LS is absolutely beautiful, but it really only shines in long fights against hard targets.  Tornado is a little more generally useful to both ATs, because it's quicker to cast, far faster at delivering its damage, and (at least to a degree) mobile.  (Its knockdown is a huge mitigation tool too, obviously.)

The majority of a Storm Summoner's damage will ultimately come from sources that enjoy neither the advantage of Scourge nor the higher base multiplier. While Lightning Storm is certainly better on longer fights, it's still one of the highest dpa attacks you can make even on relatively short fights. Tornado - no matter the fight length - is probably going to do more single target damage than any other power in your arsenal (by a large amount). Add the damage procs from your powers and very little of what you're doing can Scourge.

And that's assuming your Corruptor is willing to accept non-capped defenses (Defenders have ~5% advantage in defense over Corruptors) - if they're also trying to cap their defenses, it will inevitably come at the expense of damage.

I'd say if you want to pair Storm with a strong DPS blast set, e.g. Ice or Fire Blast, then Corruptors are probably better.  If you want to pair Storm with a debuff heavy blast set like Dark or Sonic, then Defenders are certainly better.

I think Fire is definitely a 'Corruptor set'. However, I think people often over-estimate its effectiveness. Back on Live, we knew that Ice was higher single target damage than Fire. It took me a while to remember why, but it was a byproduct of Frankenslotting attack powers. The ability of Ice to slot damage procs far outweighed the value of the additional burn DoT on Fire.

The newer sets like Water and Dual Pistols really turn this up to 11 by granting a diversity of effects on their powers. A Dual Pistols user, for example, is arguably almost as good as Sonic at resist debuffing between the native debuff and the two resist debuffs it can slot into otherwise central attack powers.

Or consider Bullet Rain (36.11 on 18s cooldown) vs. Fireball (43.12 on 16s cooldown). It should be obvious that Fireball is a lot better. Except, in actual play, Bullet Rain is a far more effective attack because the near certainty of a Force Feedback proc drives its cyclic rate far below what is reasonably achievable with Fireball - as well as accelerating everything else you do.

Or consider the Blaster-style method of pumping up +damage and then launching an ultimate. On a Corruptor, your Soul Drain + Inferno will deal 15% more damage (it can't Scourge against full health targets). However, between Vigilance and Soul Drain, you have +42% more damage on the Defender. Even taking into account that this only yields about 20% more actual damage, Soul Drain + Inferno actually tends to work better with a Defender (solo). If you throw Freezing Rain (-5% resist more for a Defender), you've got an even bigger lead.

There are obviously a lot of caveats that need to be thrown around, but I think it's important to recognize that the basic numbers are dramatically altered by the IO build - to the point where 'high damage sets' often end up being less damage than 'low damage sets' simply because of how you're forced to slot them and 'high damage AT' actually end up being 'low damage AT' because they don't have the supplemental features they need to support what they're doing.

• Thanks 1

And that's assuming your Corruptor is willing to accept non-capped defenses (Defenders have ~5% advantage in defense over Corruptors) - if they're also trying to cap their defenses, it will inevitably come at the expense of damage.

I'm glad you mentioned this, as it's the main thing I've wrestled with.  The builds I've mocked up don't see a huge difference in damage output, but the Defender definitely has a little more room for sundries, and we do have a lot of attractive sundries these days - the absorb proc, the max HP proc, the scaling RES, the +5% RES global, not to mention the old standbys like Kismet, Miracle, Numina, Performance Shifter,  Panacea.  Those last four are borderline mandatory on a Storm build, given our endurance burden.

I think Fire is definitely a 'Corruptor set'. However, I think people often over-estimate its effectiveness. Back on Live, we knew that Ice was higher single target damage than Fire. It took me a while to remember why, but it was a byproduct of Frankenslotting attack powers. The ability of Ice to slot damage procs far outweighed the value of the additional burn DoT on Fire.

This is also a very good point, especially with regard to Defenders.  I doubt a soft-capped Corruptor can well afford to slot procs in his attacks, as a rule, with the notable exception of the Corruptor ATO set's damage proc.  A Defender might be able to do it.

Still, Fire is generally considered a top set because it combines high single-target damage with very high AoE.  Ice lags a bit in the latter, though it does have a really nice nuke.  (I prefer Blizzard, anyway, because it's ranged, and it has a good bit of Scourge synergy too.)

I appreciate the discussion.  Lots of food for thought.

I'll go ahead and post two Storm builds I've been wrestling with, just for reference, one on each AT.  Both have soft-capped Ranged DEF; both have roughly the same amount of global recharge (~80+%); both have perma Hover in the 40 mph range, nearly identical levels of recovery, and the same amount of +damage (not counting Vigilance).  Both have the all-important Sudden Acceleration KB-to-KD procs in Hurricane/LS/Tornado.  (These items loosely match my build priorities.)

I would have preferred to slot more procs, but you can see I didn't have much room.  The main differences are that the Defender has more DEF to other types/positions, a stronger and more useable +RES shield (better End reduction) and a couple more slots to play with, but the Defender also loses Afterburner because I couldn't skip Ice Bolt.  Likewise, the Corruptor had to make at least one weird slotting decision to keep Frost Breath slotted as I like (with plenty of range enhancement); the full Malice ATO set went in Ice Storm, though obviously I'd prefer to put it in something like Bitter Ice Blast. 

Based on these two particular builds, and your arguments, I'm actually leaning towards the Defender now, though it's hard to say for sure which is better:

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Corruptor

Primary Power Set: Ice Blast

Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1505;708;1416;HEX;|
|78DA65934B4F135114C7EF9D9952DB027DF06879535EA514A61DC0B834011FC1405|
|22551E3A669E8509A40DB0C25C0D2AFE0C695CF9D8922A8D12FA0217E0558BA3051|
|11D4950B534FE7FC6D1B3BE9E477E7DCFB3FE7FECFED5DDAB9D4BC77F5EE4521BDF|
|3EBE9CDCDD47CC1B2B68AA582E5584A67732BAAA0C7496F77752275239DCF9A197D|
|61C54CCD91A6D45F9B9ADB5A5DD59769B4915ADEDAD828E473F9AC7F21BF665A66B|
|EA4FF1B789285C2BA7E653D975D2BB9EDF172D134332D1CAE4449E6B5BF16CD74C6|
|B436D772C5C0E5626E454F16B64D2BB544554D6B3744FB8AD29B50049EB2433C201|
|84E71EE21F888E97ECC6C7E023E657E9655AD22B629519B534CED30E3BB4C832091|
|5F46345B37380E46C1B79C2FFC0E9C60BAA879AAE4FC6A070D0C4D68470AF398E9A|
|1350ECE2F1CC3AC9B51B8EF959A4E786A85271F3CF9E029004F0178FA42655C5C53|
|73D935C9BFAF4297E877F377FC0F4DF791B7DF74C411A798A57A1ED4F33C57ED35A|
|117CCEE3DF025B3771F3C600ED1465BB89E6C8909BB4E2BF895E25EF4D7FB41B1D7|
|47DF33270E99E7097ED4F6C36B3BBCB6C36B27BC76C26B085EBF51FE3668DB0E90F|
|715F88639F99A39B50F7EE2339BA6CF0ED6CA8E18E71B7EC66B44A71041EC3B881E|
|C68F78CE38662AB4AC0BE7D655A647A814E941A42728ED0E6B14EBC33FA00F99FAF|
|F3B8D0B94708075EAC008EF2E3CCA1C1E033DDCEDEF241982E3A133DEC9C80FF027|
|F88B19A9749CF61085E353D28E423B3AC56BC674300E26A03540680FA9FC38BA358|
|ED38D827EF21883C7183C4EC2E3243C7E24BD8EDEE8D3EC2540BA04EB4422CCB97A|
|B5EA8DA45FA5AB130D914443C46888CC3444661B220BB54879B16136A955EFBD907|
|6C4E5A3DB8CF5276E9AC5DE256EED692DA6CA6BD2BE594D37D97F53983D1B2738C7|
|7ABD9DFDAC1651E4207743B9A730EFF3695C7757FACF3BB85537BE5D37BE5337FE0|
|B6100FB40|

Level 50 Magic Defender

Primary Power Set: Storm Summoning

Secondary Power Set: Ice Blast

|MxDz;1502;713;1426;HEX;|
|78DA6594CB4F135114C6EF4CA796BEA00F7949CBAB85420BD396872E4D103518308|
|D4DDC99A6B6D347D2072925C0D2A5891A75E3CAE7CE8D514058FA0EF15F5077AE55|
|D4B87061EA99F90ED0A49334BF3BE79EF39D73CF99DBA5F579C7B3F3D74E0BA9FD4|
|C29BDB2929AD7725A25ABD5CC4BE97C3123F4C7423FFF813D35B79ACBA9C97AB556|
|4E2557CBE56AA558C9F71EEE5E4A57F25A565DC868A939D2ABBB172A05ADA655EAE|
|AC1C29EA8564BEAB952315FA8DB8C757259D3B21DC672514B93CA4AA1B8EC849BEE|
|45093C67978B1935515DA3144B24ABD5367AA8AA71FA5D97053F0D59ACD38BD722D|
|A3640CF1AF8EAC84788FB84B845BC269B049B59625BDB03D0F690F908743C06DB9F|
|80766A8989F54C9F64C376836036041B2673A764D88EB9983630FC4F6FA545DC94D|
|155DDD71215468DE37BD019FFC07C0F5AC9D10A5DC5CABAED9CD3F519F40450D7E4|
|17BC0F538C1D31923DA2EF598583F9865C9C7C6EE7AC62F81F9F6186A1D3358DF7F|
|E1DBCF7EF826F29B603B152470436D753E47C4770B3AE9BFBE9E37EFAB89F21EE67|
|98FB39C1FDD48FEAE5197A63C87D22CE9C026F914F27EB773E47CEAE4D70628BB90|
|D4EBE607E45AC9BFAD18D7EC8DDDCC31E633656D1C3B3B94D21BDACDFBB8FF8A19F|
|60E017F33718E4B307595F1F591FC7F66D9AD0B32D30B80D8EBE04433B607417F45|
|06D7ED426FC43D0BD437A03AC3730899C832A33CA8C718D7126D7B247B2C33CA361|
|9E7980A97F6223D85346A611373AC39C054327C1F02950A6FAC6F85B1F6BD0234C6|
|489B025328553286453B9C32A7738CA5F7F943BFC915C637C4362FA38E826C463D8|
|8BFFA1CD10F12FF47C4AD38D35B2865B2CB1164BBCC532DD629969B12CB6582EEA1|
|654DA482887FF13423276ADAEC3DBDFF866A35D9E9EC4B7F0C7914D962E48C6B9E4|
|CB38A73C84F37D6F8E3354F79BA306312FE5AE0CDEC32C12367DAAC87CA5699D6E5|
|A5F6D5AFF0772C7F9AC|

• Like 1

I'm glad you mentioned this, as it's the main thing I've wrestled with.  The builds I've mocked up don't see a huge difference in damage output, but the Defender definitely has a little more room for sundries, and we do have a lot of attractive sundries these days - the absorb proc, the max HP proc, the scaling RES, the +5% RES global, not to mention the old standbys like Kismet, Miracle, Numina, Performance Shifter,  Panacea.  Those last four are borderline mandatory on a Storm build, given our endurance burden.

I believe the rotation Ice is aiming for is a three stroke Ice Blast/Freezing Ray/Bitter Ice Blast rotation. However, this requires ~20% above perma-Hasten to pull off. It also means that, as a Defender, you'd be forced to waste a power on Ice Bolt.

I know that when I took a look at Ice, I wasn't satisfied because having the FF procs (which Ice can't equip) really drives the damage of Tornado/Lightning Storm. I think Water actually works better with Storm Summoning - Water Jet has about the same cycle time as Freezing Ray with a much lower recharge demand. However, the single target rotation is still lacking. Water does enable both Achilles' Heel and FF procs, though. That being said, I'm skeptical of Water due to the inherent clunkiness of the Tidal Power mechanics - the fact that your 5% miss chance completely disrupts your rotation is an issue. Water is also incredibly intolerant of attack chain interruptions - and while Storm Summoning tends not to be considered a 'healer' the fact of the matter is that I've been the primary healer on the bulk of teams (not leagues) I've been in since almost no one else has a heal that can be targeted on a specific player (just AE heals).

Beam is an option, but I think the rotation is another three stroke (Disintegrate, Piercing Ray, Penetrating Ray) that sits at almost exactly perma-Hasten. This also wastes an early power choice (or two) and your AE is largely limited to the ultimate. On the other hand, you'd be really, really good at single target between -regen, -resist and generally strong attacks.

Dark has all the right kinds of effects - knockback AE, ability to slot -hit procs in all attacks, workable single target rotation and even an Immobilize. Unfortunately, the combination of Cones and knockback-not-knockdown really robs it of an enormous amount of power since you have to waste all those slots of removing knockback and increasing range.

Energy has a similar problem. The knockback is just too much. While KB -> KD completely shifts the value of Tornado, it's a "slot tax" on Energy Blast that limits its effectiveness.

I do have one 'trick' for dealing with Def soft-capping you may not have considered: Soul Mastery's Power Boost. While it can't be made perma, the recharge can be driven low enough that you can activate it at the beginning of every encounter (more or less). This will enable you to reach the soft-cap (somewhat) easily at the beginning of the encounter (when you most need it) and dramatically improve the secondary effects of your opening attacks. It will also have a minor beneficial effect on your endurance issues (since it will increase End Mod on your normal Stamina).

• Like 1

Both have the all-important Sudden Acceleration KB-to-KD procs in Hurricane/LS/Tornado. 

Question on KB-to-KD in Hurricane...  does it still have the repel effect?  I plan on taking the power eventually, but assumed I would still have to deal with repel/push.

I'm actually running a Storm/Archery Defender.  From a thematic point of view, don't really have a good reason/concept...

But from a fun to play aspect, it is high... Never though I would say that with Storm, but after playing other characters with KB-to-KD, I had to give it a try.  I have explosive arrow slotted with KB-to-KD, so it has some decent AoE, just recently got Rain of Arrows as I'm now level 40.

Other biggest thing is the macro location target placement, I can safely (from behind something or with soft capped ranged defense) drop freezing rain, tornado, rain of arrows... And then start the fight.

As a corrupter, I was having problems getting my ranged defense capped, but it was really easy on the defender, so went that direction.  So capped ranged defense and S/L/E resistance capped plus all the knockdown has made the character very survivable and still fun to play... nightmare on Endurance though.  I can share my build tonight, and see if people have some recommendations.

Here is my Storm/Archery build.  Soft capped for ranged defense, 42.5 for Energy/Neg defense, about 31% for Melee and AoE defense and everything else.  Resistance cap for S/L/E.

I took Mu Mastery, as I currently have some End issues, and with a bunch of recharge having both Conserve Power and the Charged Armor sounded good... and another pet, why not?

The damage proc in lightning storm and tornado are just placeholders for the KB->KD sudden acceleration.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Reigning Rainer: Level 50 Magic Defender

Secondary Power Set: Archery

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: O2 Boost -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Pnc-Heal(17)

Level 1: Snap Shot -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(7), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15)

Level 2: Snow Storm -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 4: Fistful of Arrows -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(19), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), Range-I(23)

Level 6: Steamy Mist -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(46), LucoftheG-Rchg+(48), GifoftheA-Def(48), Rct-ResDam%(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)

Level 8: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)

Level 10: Blazing Arrow -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15)

Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)

Level 14: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(25)

Level 16: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27), GssSynFr--Build%(27)

Level 18: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(50), GifoftheA-Def(50)

Level 20: Explosive Arrow -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Ann-ResDeb%(31), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(31)

Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(33), GifoftheA-Def(33)

Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 26: Tornado -- ExpStr-Dam%(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(34), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(34), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(36)

Level 28: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), GldArm-End/Res(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)

Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def(37), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(37)

Level 32: Lightning Storm -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), ExpStr-Dam%(37), GldJvl-Dam/End/Rech(39), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(39), GldJvl-Dam%(40)

Level 35: Charged Armor -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(40), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40)

Level 38: Rain of Arrows -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Ann-ResDeb%(43), PstBls-Dam%(43)

Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)

Level 44: Summon Adept -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(45), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(45), RechRdx-I(46)

Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 49: Hurricane -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5), Mrc-Rcvry+(5)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3), EndMod-I(3)

------------

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/download.php?uc=1462&c=713&a=1426&f=HEX&dc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

I believe the rotation Ice is aiming for is a three stroke Ice Blast/Freezing Ray/Bitter Ice Blast rotation. However, this requires ~20% above perma-Hasten to pull off. It also means that, as a Defender, you'd be forced to waste a power on Ice Bolt.

Yeah I don't quite have the Recharge necessary to run Blast-Freezing-BiB seamlessly, but it's close enough.  I learned a long time ago that accepting a tiny gap in your attack chain, so as to repeat your highest DPA powers ASAP, is often the best approach.  Plus, skipping Ice Bolt saves a power pick (on the Corruptor), and slots (on both ATs).

A Storm build will have a lot of interruptions in its attack chain anyway, which is why I tend to agree with you about Water Blast and Beam Rifle.  You make good points about Ice too, of course, though my interest in Ice is mostly thematic, not mechanical.  I'm also interested in your comments WRT Force Feedback;  now that you mention it I vaguely recall that Lightning Storm can inherit some +recharge buffs.  Is that what you're referring to?

Based on some of your comments WRT procs, I had a bit of an epiphany tonight, which led me to dig up an old build I'd mocked up in 2011 - a Storm/Sonic that maximized single-target procs.  Of course, this was before the PPM change, so I don't know how effective it'd be now, but looking over that build gave me some ideas for general slotting.  Here's a revised example:

Soft-capped Ranged DEF, 107.5% global recharge (i.e. perma Hasten), one proc in Shriek, two procs in Scream, -RES procs in Freezing Rain and Howl.  Unfortunately I didn't fit any in Tornado/LS.

Level 50 Magic Defender

Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack

|MxDz;1512;712;1424;HEX;|
|78DA6594C96ED3501486EF759C96CC0DA5139DC77474E2B62C9884A005046A50452|
|4762832A99B46B449943802565060830408D8944162C103B0800E6C5900EFD00212|
|74C10A28F000E1C4E74F1B2996ACEFFABF67BCC776F4FAB4F7F5D9E51342FAA7168|
|D7C3E3E6DCE9BE93933E78C1AC9544294AE5ABADBCB7AFC54617E5E8B5999DC523C|
|56585ACAA453E964DBEEEE45239D34E7B418C989F849CB32125783E7D20B66CE4C5|
|B5A79E199CD6416B5338BA9E482E5B6D7B1AC69CE05ECE58C6950A0FC422AEB63B3|
|9215E568399D4D25B4A94C2E57C852F678B4108F1A79CBCCDD68A6FA86E8BEA7085|
|C4521AED143BD2A36F734A7784A08A94279063E67AA2BE00B66CDA843085D155BE4|
|2BE12BC7145BABD198FBC26084E9D641F87EA647077C1DABC2D6BAD6C0757083D9F|
|D0EFCC1BE1E3A7027FB4AE726C7F56F311F283C0FDA73D47E622DF49E7B1DFBC0CF|
|FA47E617820B35B826545B6B9B040F313B504B076AE9D866DD45493C76F345C5D32|
|06DCD8B5ABCA8A5876C7C6C237D23257F97F0835FC92480DC8137DC57DD5B7095D9|
|BCC63CB80E6E30EF936F90E33A836ECEBDDF037A99077CA09FD9186006A9A67AD45|
|D8FBA1BEBA45D53733916D934B08D68E8E67A15D29AF0EE3415E9128FA88A1674D0|
|F2873BEEFECBECFD07EE80DF88EDAAE8C3E939285A2BA2B58E73570F4B26D0DA91F|
|531699DC8D11961DF3E1D1C670EBCE2C90CBC0491C3A2B03D88D7D324EDFCDF295E|
|3F6B6AFF61AE6DE80873F828780C3CCEDCF60A3188B76D10D31B024B6D8DA0BE919|
|B7C7AA3B7C065F03673EC0E7897A9D2196898A286930F638A614C318C29EA98A28E|
|298A462122E82D8229B6A9155FB73DA1E12A2552A5E855CA44953259A5CC5429174|
|A0A77539C5577FF0B42DABBAEBADDAFBDF8D34DBB78BB642F9FE3EF3D4DCA4BDC4F|
|E8BCB4FF36BF2AEDED683B7B8A22BB3842E809A6B9C29C75976271C6CB156BA3627|
|DA562FD1F61EDF9E9|

It also led me to improve the Ice/Storm Corruptor, though I won't bore you with that.  This has been a very fruitful conversation!

Question on KB-to-KD in Hurricane...  does it still have the repel effect?  I plan on taking the power eventually, but assumed I would still have to deal with repel/push.

Yeah, the repel should still work.  The repel will actually work better against knocked down mobs, which can be frustrating when you're trying to herd a whole group, because the KB/KD effect is random.  You need an AoE immobilize to make Hurricane's herding consistent; I used to pass time sculpting mob spawns on my Ice/Storm Controller, back on live.  But on the whole the Sudden Acceleration proc should make Hurricane a far more consistently useful power.

Here is my Storm/Archery build.  Soft capped for ranged defense, 42.5 for Energy/Neg defense, about 31% for Melee and AoE defense and everything else.  Resistance cap for S/L/E.

I took Mu Mastery, as I currently have some End issues, and with a bunch of recharge having both Conserve Power and the Charged Armor sounded good... and another pet, why not?

The damage proc in lightning storm and tornado are just placeholders for the KB->KD sudden acceleration.

These are extremely impressive numbers, though yeah I have to agree; the thing that leaps out at me is your End consumption.  You could, and probably should, just disable your resistance toggles and Tactics most of the time to save End.  (They're very nice to have in your back pocket for a difficult situation, though.)  You could also, of course, take Cardiac Alpha.

I don't have much experience with Archery, but a brief glance at your build suggests an attack chain of Blazing - Snap - Fistful - Snap for ~72 DPS and ~2.62 EPS.  That's actually really light on the End come to think of it (I've been looking over Ice attack chains recently that approach 4 EPS).

Still, some of your other powers look a little light on End reduction - Freezing Rain, Steamy Mist, Maneuvers, Lightning Storm, Rain of Arrows, to name a few.  Freezing Rain alone, if you cast it every time it's available, will cost you 17.76 / (19.38 + 2.244) = 0.897 EPS.  That's almost half of your combined toggle cost.

Anyway, I messed with your build for a few minutes.  The best I could do was the following.  I managed to reduce your total toggle costs by 0.31 EPS, added 27.5% in global recharge, added some end reduction to a few key powers, though not as much as I'd have liked.  Oh and added a little range to Fistful of Arrows.  Unfortunately, all of the above cost you ~7.6% in S/L/E resist.  The TL;DR is that your build is really, really good.  At this point, I don't think there are any solutions, only trade offs.

Reigning Rainer: Level 50 Magic Defender

Secondary Power Set: Archery

|MxDz;1472;704;1408;HEX;|
|78DA65944B6F125114C7EF0C83389457C596D6420B7D516919A1B4BA34DA6A132DA|
|681C42D21ED944ED20219C0D8A50B37BEA26E5C983ED4951B17F6F5098CDFC1B831|
|5D18176AD5B870858739FF521226901FF73CFF73CFBDA4EFCEBADECDDDBB2C24CFC|
|C6ABE52C9CDEACB7A714937EDE97CC15814F47833BA51281AC5423893378ABAE920|
|5BE8382C77B5B6BCAC65AB25732D97ADADAD951A8181A637932F16F425ED8AB9B8A|
|29BEBC2B9502AAD6AD9B2AE2FB9AC9FF37ABE4C09DEE305E554568CB2DB5A5F370A|
|2B55F2F65E2B1B8BDA4CC9346B656A944BD772E97CA54A057B484A94BE0F6481A72|
|E8BA04D88A4227CDFC030F3E5498C5D6C0ACB766A03DC629EDE065F313DAF990F29|
|57E25C21451A36556C90CD867AB63D8E3B7300EE30CFEE83BBCCEE18E73EA25CBBC|
|4B976A764F9CE7999F10EE60517E8063DCCC794EBE0BE92E3A3CC753F3037092A34|
|A9EFF9BD9D3BE02ED3B507EE333D07CC412ADAC19AA48E71D6D9030E91CF8D9EEEC|
|FDCABE713738BE0C5DE78DF420FC577A2566717DEEF26F7D9A6103F34FABF90CDAF|
|88E021FB82938AC5FEAFBCEE4F613DCDECA4BA5D5C57EE42DDB08F185545D8DA475|
|5C81413809E409D1EF1943AF6A263EF6F56183E62467E817FC0FBCCA175D95266A3|
|6A7DDCD1D617A01F21F2758393AC329E622A141BC2544398EA30A6398C692631C52|
|4A69AC4D49F51BB01681C48F0DB0E2799A353A0C67D46A1310A8D55320F42E3E05F|
|8E89FE0313385531E61B4A19419F9114D7393F054E831799B14B20A671E812620CA|
|7600C272306DEA19071F6D9C6B1B713D8EB09ECED04F6DA4FFBA4B15EA1E1363D21|
|5702534BC016549A37963E8D49C6DA2C89364BB2CD926AB34CB559E61B1668122AE|
|BBC7562AB2F282DFF005686EA6BDEFFFA772779912DC5F9AEFF3CB1C9520427E436|
|4F41B9D138B38AF8D19A37C67947AD792F5889FC5CE6B31DE69DA9379FFF9B33EB6|
|7|

Oh, and I left the Explosive Strike procs in as placeholders for the Sudden Acceleration KB-to-KD proc.  But there is an updated version of Pine's that has Sudden Acceleration.  You can find it in this thread.

I'm also interested in your comments WRT Force Feedback;  now that you mention it I vaguely recall that Lightning Storm can inherit some +recharge buffs.  Is that what you're referring to?

No. I don't believe the +recharge affects Lightning Storm or Tornado at all. However, it affects you when you activate it. Since the recharge on these abilities is so long, they have a very high chance to proc Force Feedback.

Here's an example Ice/Storm Corruptor I threw together:

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 2.22

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Level 50 Magic Corruptor

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Apc-Dam%(5), GldJvl-Dam%(5), ImpSwf-Dam%(7)

Level 1: Gale -- SudAcc-KBtoKD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7), Acc-I(9), Acc-I(9), Range-I(11), Range-I(11)

Level 2: O2 Boost -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(13), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(13), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(15), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(15), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(17)

Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(19)

Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 8: Freeze Ray -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(21), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), UnbCns-Dam%(23), GldNet-Dam%(23), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(25)

Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), Rct-ResDam%(27), Rct-Def(27)

Level 12: Ice Storm -- SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(31), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(31), PstBls-Dam%(31)

Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(33), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(33)

Level 16: Freezing Rain -- SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), TmpRdn-Rng/Slow(34), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(34), TmpRdn-Acc/Slow(36)

Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(36), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36), CldSns-%Dam(37), ImpSwf-Dam%(37), GldJvl-Dam%(37)

Level 20: Hurricane -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)

Level 24: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(39)

Level 26: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40)

Level 30: Bitter Freeze Ray -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(40)

Level 32: Blizzard -- SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(42), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)

Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(43), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(45), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)

Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(46), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), ExpStr-Dam%(48), GldJvl-Dam%(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)

Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 44: Power Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)

Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(50)

Level 49: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(50)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Scourge

Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(19)

Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon

------------

|MxDz;1458;681;1362;HEX;|
|78DA65944B4F135114C7EF4C5BB1142C502850DED007145A3A82BA3401C1A090005|
|5B74D03436942695320CAD2855F4017AE3471E35BD4C418BF81BA372ED40D7121F1|
|01282B57F574FE7F4B49279DFCEE9CF739F7DECE5C3B57B375FEFA59A5B9C757926|
|B6B89F16C3EBF915BCFE61D33C9547AC1A6E4A992D7575224E693AB2973313AB560|
|26C6C467BDF35035B6B1B4148DCB2A93886F6432D9D5F46A4A55CF66B32BD178CE3|
|4175DD67272259D5A5EAFB1D6D366322746EEFF1F8B667E6D399D6B98C8A517A2B3|
|D9AB663E312339CCFC668B54119237A62B3E0587BA2730EC4ABF43DE05ED860E0ED|
|92C1EBBAF29D56157DFB432DFAF76E86EC0F6B84F1D6175F82877C457A3AF7645B3|
|643597C939F0C43C1907EB2E817D32421B7C35DB17E46BF8043A45E7B0021794A30|
|9F6233AA65ECC55C51E1BD963237BF44EC1DF3B811E5B32F0FD2E70229ECDC9782D|
|8DA0EF00B6BE5D705442B898C7E5C73CDA036410EC7C8D7C9DAFC837CC2F05D6228|
|F5ECB3CDDECA9FB33F843C46EC6770F205E773FD813221FC3B7E70967F5003C2521|
|EAE95BCF19F471067D9C817F47B7F6D5CFFDF573BF7FCAA707BECAD303DB5EA9B70|
|9F56A4D8390054997E89AB93FCDEC21C81E9457A956C66A659FF562DFC619B75116|
|E48C4317514368123C5D2C91B13B3EA0DED047F08CA08B3D76BD84FDC00BF229F90|
|C0C6F91CFC15D49D74BDFDE03D41ADE07877E937FC86DF84478D6F7C43740DF0067|
|1BE16C239CEDF0A6D87A849CE9307DDFCA673FE7D1CFF9BD13D9207B1CA4CC20DF8|
|B2E4A5DF42462197F418FCC31C63D893D427CE321D86E2FDD55F9C9A3C215925885|
|C4A8908C5448462B24538792C27471CDFBA89CA865D65EBAFB4AB33C9C75A51B5DF|
|8552D5AAD5CBB572EB9200B39EBBB1556FB87125DBB8D4C7537F9EF700B2C1A16E6|
|E42C1B302CFC03E7F1EC81|

The three primary attacks are all kitted out for a bit of ranged defense and procs. Note that Ice Blast has no way to FF a single target attack, so you can't realistically run the rotation indefinitely (you need to exploit gaps for doing other things or get your Tornado/Lightning Storm/Gale working).

Ranged Def is only capped while Power Build-Up is active. I choose Power Mastery rather than Soul Mastery (which has a much lower cooldown) to accommodate Conserve Power. However, you can run 50%+ uptime with Soul Mastery (albeit without the +damage component). The premise is that you activate it when engaging to pump up your defense/damage and then just rely on all the soft control in the recharge window.

In general, single target power are slotted to proc damage while multi-target powers are slotted to proc buffs. In a multi-target power, damage effects have a much lower chance to proc per target than they do with single target powers. However, effects like Force Feedback only need to proc once across all targets so they have an incredibly high chance to proc - the way I slotted up Gale, using on a full spawn is almost guaranteed to proc Force Feedback. I'm not entirely sure how well Freezing Rain will proc +end.

Spiritual Core is chosen because the single target rotation is simply too tight on recharge. In theory, something like Vigor makes more sense if you're willing to put up with rotation gaps. I'm not entirely sure how the Lightning Storm procs will work out either (I'm pretty sure the FF proc only works on use and doesn't do anything while it's just hanging around).

In any case, I haven't tested it, but it might contain some ideas you hadn't considered - I've been going back and forth with Storm Summoning for a while.

I'm also interested in your comments WRT Force Feedback;  now that you mention it I vaguely recall that Lightning Storm can inherit some +recharge buffs.  Is that what you're referring to?

No. I don't believe the +recharge affects Lightning Storm or Tornado at all. However, it affects you when you activate it. Since the recharge on these abilities is so long, they have a very high chance to proc Force Feedback.

Yeah I didn't think the proc would affect Lightning Storm; I could swear I tested something that did affect LS's attack speed, though - years ago.  Probably Hasten.  If so, then most people probably don't notice, as most people already have Hasten.  It's very strange to come back to the game having forgotten more than I know.

Your build is very interesting; it certainly shows there are multiple ways to skin a cat.  I especially enjoy the way you used Bitter Freeze Ray as a mule for Basilisk's Gaze - smart.  Ditto the extra slow enhancement in Freezing Rain.  I may also end up skipping Frost Breath as you did; dropping it would make things considerably easier.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not sure how effective the old Sonic ST proc monster would work in the post-PPM era, because short-recharge powers (like Shriek, or to a lesser extent Ice Blast) can get robbed of their "rightful" PPM if you don't spam them as often as possible.  On a build like Storm, you're unlikely to do that, or at least unlikely to do it constantly.  By contrast, a power like Bitter Ice Blast has the dual advantages that you're more likely to prioritize spamming it between Storm powers, and it has a longer recharge to begin with, so its chance to fire procs is far higher.

Likewise, I think I have to agree with your earlier post, in which you mentioned that Ice can't really accommodate the Force Feedback proc.  Though it's true that you could get the FF proc up to near max uptime (which as I understand it is 50%, given the 10s lockout) by spamming Gale, there's a major opportunity cost in terms of animation time to do so.  (~2.4s out of every 10, basically a quarter of your damage potential lost.)

Still, having a Gale that is nearly guaranteed to proc the +recharge buff is certainly a nice asset to carry around in your back pocket.

On the whole I'd favor higher full-time global recharge, and full-time soft-cap DEF.  Unfortunately I'm more or less stuck with Conserve Power, because it's the only way to get End-sustainable without sacrificing an Incarnate power, which means Power Boost on a pretty long timer.  I do like your idea, though, definite food for thought.  I'll be saving your build for later reference.

This is what I ended up with on the Corruptor after our convo, FWIW:

Soft-capped Ranged DEF, +95% global recharge (not including Hasten), End-sustainable with the Epic Shield running (as long as Conserve Power is used on cooldown), +30% global damage, Purple damage proc in BiB, perma-Hover @ 38.3 MPH.  The BiB->Freeze Ray->Ice Blast attack chain can be run with a 0.36s gap.  I favor Musculature on this build.

It would probably be slightly better on a Defender, but again I run into that Afterburner issue.  Ah, the price we pay to stay within flavor constraints. 

Level 50 Magic Corruptor

|MxDz;1498;697;1394;HEX;|
|78DA6594594F534114C7E7DEDE52BA5128B253A06CA585965E1679340197A090A02|
|46A7C691AB89426409B02511FFD0ABEE012D73713C5E54B18BF823E191F4C5C00F5|
|D9E0E9FCFF298DBDE9CD6FEEFFCC3967CE99992EDE3A1BD8BF70E78C3242731BD9E|
|DEDCC5CA154DA2DEE144AEEC56C2EBFE252F278E4EDAC183257B25B39673535BFE2|
|6466C567A7E7C434BBBBB6965A96D16666797773B3B095DFCA29FF52A1B0913ABF9|
|1CFADEFF8F478B9E838AB213D5C70B2AB4E697B3D5F0C625A79967885CF15F32BA9|
|A5C24DA7945994244EE976BB2C23216FDA547C8EDDEA91C0F628F331F904B49E914|
|FC1BAE7E057A3E22B3F79942DD10C4633062D3D2B3E042686C928BC13EFC0B1F232|
|6CAFF24B675CF0355C1F4D6D4B7E02FBC5E63660738F627E1D3969A2A9E59C1E565|
|0CF0AEA5941802B0FB092302BF08AA317712D6F8BA1351F73FB98BBEF924BD3FE2B|
|D322969A12D9CF7CFE97B0455F8183FB60EC7599968ABFC1F7D85B7C7F931441E47|
|3077DC8D7E027036063906C00C321F0BB2084BCAE500CBDEC1921E360725CE93CD3|
|B2C626AEB129893A4EA5C871B03D4DDA6027F745B52AD5CC5D6D664F9A446EC1BAC|
|D166AAD8D24EB08CB9C36CC516D51EC8D295A076375E813E212A58B4AD704BA6289|
|166157223A9AA5C6FC6032008E07C9063204CEC8E27B11CFEA9DE48E4D91D360F43|
|439031E886B3FBBD37F046DE017F99BFC030E7E1646845FD0E143F11DA2EFD03D41|
|CCA386F7C8FBE40330F690A4EF7B297784277C84A7374E7E10DB283B3C5A6EA39C3|
|43B6D689B9D007F0852EC5D8A1D9E90E5A5A9A55F98BA27DDD6FFF73251A3A46B14|
|BB4699AC51A66A94F913E578A1C6BA6455FE0F94A1156F63E5961FFFF4899527C61|
|8403D87279A695CC5C9EABC68E83EF644719B0EAAFD74D4A36AAF3E44EABE6B827B|
|D8C9EBBE72DF91F95AD5F872D5F846D578412E81CDF13FBC01F1AB|

[EDIT - wrong build, lol.]

You could, and probably should, just disable your resistance toggles and Tactics most of the time to save End.  (They're very nice to have in your back pocket for a difficult situation, though.)  You could also, of course, take Cardiac Alpha.

That is exactly what I do.  I rarely run Tactics, as the Defense Debuffs in storm are fine most of the time.  And then if I'm teaming with someone that provides extra endurance to me, a pop on Tactics as well.

Anyway, I messed with your build for a few minutes.  The best I could do was the following.  I managed to reduce your total toggle costs by 0.31 EPS, added 27.5% in global recharge, added some end reduction to a few key powers, though not as much as I'd have liked.  Oh and added a little range to Fistful of Arrows.  Unfortunately, all of the above cost you ~7.6% in S/L/E resist.  The TL;DR is that your build is really, really good.  At this point, I don't think there are any solutions, only trade offs.

I like what you did, and completely agree with it's figuring out trade-offs as this point.  I moved a few more things around and spent some fake money on enhancement boosters to get that bit of S/L resistance and still keep above the Ranged Def cap, and keeping recharge the same (I think I may have moved it up like 2%, so negligible).  Both the end usage and end recovery both went up (as well as I think my total end available).

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/download.php?uc=1462&c=709&a=1418&f=HEX&dc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