Does power boost from the primal forces mastery affect Traps summons?

EnjoyTheJourney

I could of course be wrong. But, I suspect that either power boost won't affect traps summons because they're considered pets or it will affect them for the duration for which they exist.

My main interest is in boosting FFG for better personal / team defense. Even if affected nothing else for the duration for which it was summoned I'd be happy with that.

My best guess, though, is that time manipulation looks very appealing when compared to traps in part because power boosted farsight can be made perma.

Power Boost affects the CASTER ... not their Summons.

In the case of the Force Field Generator, the defense buff aura is coming from the generator, not from your character ... therefore even if you summon the generator while under the effects of Power Boost, the generator does not "inherit" the Power Boost from you to affect the generator's powers.

Note that this is fundamentally different from powers like Foresight in Time Manipulation.  Foresight is a power that affects a PBAoE around the caster (including the caster), and because it is not a summoned entity, Foresight gets buffed by Power Boost when it is cast and that buff remains in effect for the entire duration of Foresight (because it's a long duration Click power).

Best way that I can explain the distinction that makes all the difference in these cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Just to mention something... Illusion Controllers really don't have all that much use for PERSONAL defense. Defense is never bad, but they can really do a lot of damage and put out a lot of control while almost never getting shot at. Between non-aggroing Deceive and PA, you can start a fight with a lot of damage while being safe, and then join in after some of the mobs are Taunted... the defense from Traps should be quite enough. I run Ill/Storm, and take very little damage, and that's a set with very little personal defense.

For a team, it's a different story, because power-boosted Farsight benefits everyone. But on the other hand, you only get this in the 40s... most characters have solid enough Defense by then that FFG should be enough help for pretty much everyone.

I think that Ill/Traps is one of the best combination, probably the best for Illusion... while Time is only useful for a team-oriented Illusion character.

• Like 2

Postscript ... 

I ran a summer blockbuster last night with my illusion / traps and found that the way FFG follows your character around sometimes creates challenges. My character kept getting hit for big damage and had a few hospital trips because staying close enough to have FFG protect teammates in melee range with the AVs sometimes kept my character in harm's way (no matter where I placed him relative to some of the AVs). Then I ran a Synapse last night with my illusion / time character and found the freedom to operate from range made playing her more enjoyable, as well as safer. 

I liked the concept of the illusion / traps character even more than my illusion / time character. But, I'm finding illusion / time mechanically easier to play and ultimately more enjoyable. 

FWIW, YMMV, and all the usual caveats apply.

My thanks again for the feedback.