development positions?

Joshex

I do realize this is a wonderful restoration of our game by a devoted fan community and that we are not completely legitimate yet (no official ok from NCSoft). Thank you for your hard efforts on all grounds!

I want to ask, if or when we do get to be legitimate, will there be open positions in the development area? (for new models, textures etc.)

I probably have no chance at getting such a position if it's available but a guy can hope and ask. I'm more than happy to model other peoples requests, and would like to do it full time (yes, that means I'd need to have earnings cause I'm poor lol). However all that aside, is this sort of position foreseen as something that might be available at some point if we get legitimate?

I fully understand if it would be a fan supplied "free assets" situation instead, or if no new assets will be used at all. Just thought I'd ask.

6 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Paid positions probably will not happen.  They are asking for possible volunteers.

There is a huge difference legally between running the game for free and running the game and getting paid for it.

this

My understanding of the negotiations are they are trying to get a license to run as a non-profit with volunteer workforce

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

yeah , I figured as much. thanks for the note of the thread, I added my stuff in there. I'm really interested in making new content. new content would be possible to separate out from the main game. while they can;t charge for the main game or get a patreon for it or whathaveyou. They can charge for player made stuffs as such assets are not under any license they don't own. but they'd have to make it clear legally to NCSoft and any respective authority circles in various governments that the content they charge for is entirely fan made.

As stated, I'm interested in making monsters, scenery and textures, maybe some costume pieces on request.

in example, I've gotten pretty good at it:

naturally it's a bit high on memory but I can make a lower poly version somewhere around 30 polygons.

mahpole.png

bam.jpg

Edited by Joshex
adding pics

1 hour ago, Joshex said:

yeah , I figured as much. thanks for the note of the thread, I added my stuff in there. I'm really interested in making new content. new content would be possible to separate out from the main game. while they can;t charge for the main game or get a patreon for it or whathaveyou. They can charge for player made stuffs as such assets are not under any license they don't own. but they'd have to make it clear legally to NCSoft and any respective authority circles in various governments that the content they charge for is entirely fan made.

As stated, I'm interested in making monsters, scenery and textures, maybe some costume pieces on request.

in example, I've gotten pretty good at it:

naturally it's a bit high on memory but I can make a lower poly version somewhere around 30 polygons.

mahpole.png

bam.jpg

My understanding of things is, no matter what, Homecoming will never charge anything,  Both Cipher and Jimmy have said so, as well as various other GM's in other threads, I also get the impression this is their main bargaining chip with NC-Soft so I don't think it's just NC-Soft owned IP I'm pretty sure their plan is never for anything and to survive on donations as they do now

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

6 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

My understanding of things is, no matter what, Homecoming will never charge anything,  Both Cipher and Jimmy have said so, as well as various other GM's in other threads, I also get the impression this is their main bargaining chip with NC-Soft so I don't think it's just NC-Soft owned IP I'm pretty sure their plan is never for anything and to survive on donations as they do now

I am no expert on the subject, and we can only go on what they have said already, and what they have said is indeed as you point out. So we will have to assume they will never charge anything as stated.

I just assumed they were talking about game subscription and possible shop items(micropay), when they mentioned "never charge for anything" as in players can get all content without paying.

I suppose one way to do it would be models and such could be supplied for free, and have them listed in a thread with donation links (for if people feel like it's really worth it) so people can donate what they feel it's worth. Maybe with some total cap set by the devs and/or agreed to by sub-devs (I'm thinking different max donations for different things, non-rigged things per poly are cheaper than rigged per poly, textures alone are cheaper than models (varying based on complexity) in example.

but yeah, if it comes down to completely volunteering, I might supply some things as I'm inspired to do so. for that we should have a requests thread and a fulfillment thread I guess.

37 minutes ago, Joshex said:

I am no expert on the subject, and we can only go on what they have said already, and what they have said is indeed as you point out. So we will have to assume they will never charge anything as stated.

I just assumed they were talking about game subscription and possible shop items(micropay), when they mentioned "never charge for anything" as in players can get all content without paying.

I suppose one way to do it would be models and such could be supplied for free, and have them listed in a thread with donation links (for if people feel like it's really worth it) so people can donate what they feel it's worth. Maybe with some total cap set by the devs and/or agreed to by sub-devs (I'm thinking different max donations for different things, non-rigged things per poly are cheaper than rigged per poly, textures alone are cheaper than models (varying based on complexity) in example.

but yeah, if it comes down to completely volunteering, I might supply some things as I'm inspired to do so. for that we should have a requests thread and a fulfillment thread I guess.

I don't know they are that far along yet for a request and fulfilment list, they are contacting people on the volunteer list for experimental test content (the two new mission arcs for example) but the feeling I get is they don't want to make things to in depth until they are further along in their negotiation.

I suspect you are on the right path that eventually out of the donation pool they will start buying resources they can't get from volunteers.  but again thats when they have more certainty of no big hammer falling on them from Korea

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!